News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

BUDA 2010
« on: October 02, 2009, 05:06:33 AM »
As we bask in the warm memories of the most immediate past BUDA, I think it is time to begin to think of next year, as the sooner these things are planned the better.

From my cider-strained memories of BUDA 2009, as well as some public and private conversations through this forum, I can think of four possible alternatives which have already been put forth:

1.  Benelux--focused on one or more of the great Colt courses there, supplemented by evenings of cultural enlightenment in Amsterdam.

2.  Wales--focused on Wales, with Pennard at the center and Sean Arble as our tour guide.

3.  Machrihanish--suggested to me in a private e-mail, and a venue which has been discussed for the past BUDAs.

4.  A return to the venues of BUDA I, Dornoch and Brora.  I could take overall responsibility for this, aided ably by other GCA-ers who will be on the ground there next summer.

5.  Liphook/West Sussex, suggesetd by Craig Disher above.

Let's also think about dates.  Past BUDAs have been held in May, June and September.  I personally would prefer May or June for 2009, but what do others think?

I hereby throw this open to open debate.  Any potential participants--past, present or putative--are welcome to give their thoughts, on these tentative ideas as well as throw out their own suggestions.  I would also propose that at some point prior to the end of he year the Grand Plenipotentiary Committee meet and pass judgement on all proposals put forward on their thread or on other threads or in other media and make a decision.

Let the games begin!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:27:28 AM by Rich Goodale »

Mark Pearce

Re: BUDA 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:42:17 AM »
Rich,

Timely post.  All of those options sound exciting.  There seemed to be a lot of interest in option 1 and I believe that preliminary enquiries are being made.  A point Chappers made about BUDA is the value of having a member of one of the host clubs on board and each of the BUDAs I have attended certainly bear testament to that.  I do think, however, that BUDA could run well without a member doing the organising, so long as the clubs bought in to the concept of BUDA (the wonderful hospitality at Littlestone shows how club members can be enthused by a visiting bunch of misfits like us!)  In this respect options 2 and 4 seem to have an advantage but if suitable contacts can be obtained within Machrihanish or one of the Dutch courses that needn't be fatal to options 1 or 3.

As to timing, from a personal/family point of view May or June are easier.  They also have the benefit of plenty of evening light, particularly in Scotland.  However, this year's BUDA reminded me how wonderful links golf in September, after a dry summer and with the rough beginning to die back, can be.  June probably pips it for me, though from what I hear of Mach Dunes, if that was to be a second course for BUDA, I think we'd need an official ball sponsor if played in a warm wet June.

Finally, any option will need a sponsor to make it happen.  Options 2 and 4 have the benefit of Sean or your involvement and your involvement with the clubs.  As I say enquiries are being made regarding Benelux and if productive I believe an organising sponsor (or sponsors) will put themselves forward, though not with the close connection to the courses that you or Sean would boast.  Is there a sponsor for Machrihanish?

I suspect a decision should be made within the next couple of months.  Who the hell are the Grand Plenipotentiary Committee and where would they meet?

Mark

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 06:04:19 AM »
Thanks Mark

As for the Machrihanish sponsor, no.  Any volunteers?

As for administrative manners, you may have forgotten that at Deal on the gala dinner night you were unanimously elected to the Grand Plenipotentiary Committee, with specific duties as the Honourable Meeting Coordinator.  So, you choose where and when.

Rich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 06:06:10 AM »
Rich,

I appear to have forgotten much of the gala dinner.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 06:15:35 AM »
My vote would be for Dornoch and Brora, with a roadtrip up playing perhaps some inland good'uns, then Silloth, Turnbery and Prestwick!!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:29:51 AM »
I too think Dornoch would be a great choice.  May/June when the gorse is blooming would get my vote. 

A side trip to Skibo would be interesting, if it is possible to get in and it's less than 90 mins to Castle Stuart, which I played last Saturday and have to say is the finest modern design I have ever seen.  Possibly the best course in the UK already.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:42:12 AM »
Rich,

I appear to have forgotten much of the gala dinner.

Mark

I took minutes via webcam and can thus confirm you were actioned (and agreed whole heartily) to act as Honourable Meeting Coordinator on behalf of the Grand Plenipotentiary Committee.  

Rihc

Any of the three non-Wales options sound very fine, so my vote is for whoever is the keenest to organize.  How that is decided is down to the GPC.  For my part, if I am to take part and/or organize, the event almost certainly must be held in September (June is out of the question) over at least part of a weekend. If these stipulations are too difficult to work around that is fair enough.

Question: which Buda is next year?  Is it VII or VII?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 06:45:52 AM »
Thanks, Robin.  I'd forgotten about the gorse.  Silly me!

For those of you who do not know, Robin is a fine architect who extended the Dornoch Struie course 5-10 years ago.  I played the full 18 for the first time in a few years in August, and I must say that Robin's work is growing in VERY nicely, and if the rest of the course could be brought up even close to his standard, the Struie would be one of the top 5 courses in the Highlands.  If we decide to do BUDA at Dornoch, a round on the Struie (in or out of the competition) would be strongly advised (in June, a quick 18 could be started and completed after dinner, as the sun hardly sets) .  Robin was also the Captain of the GB&I side at BUDA II at Painswick.

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 06:51:35 AM »
As we bask in the warm memories of the most immediate past BUDA, I think it is time to begin to think of next year, as the sooner these things are planned the better.

From my cider-strained memories of BUDA 2009, as well as some public and private conversations through this forum, I can think of four possible alternatives which have already been put forth:

1.  Benelux--focused on one or more of the great Colt courses there, supplemented by evenings of cultural enlightenment in Amsterdam.

GCAer Andrew Hastie is a local and may be able to provide some insight into making arrangements with these clubs.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 06:58:25 AM »
While a personal re-visit to Amsterdam and the brownies at the Milky Whey  :D sound interesting, I would say that Royal Dornoch would be most compelling for me to get my butt on a plane to Scotland. June and September are tough with school kid logistics at this stage of life, so May is best.

With no Buda resume, I recognize that I only have pleb status.  

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 07:00:19 AM »
Thanks, Eric.  Occasional GCA.com poster Frank Pont might be able to help on that alternative too.

Robin

Forgot to thank you for your thoughts on Castle Stuart.  I'm not yet ready to agree that it is a better course than Dornoch, but it is probably the best new course I have ever played (i.e. better than Kingsbarns and Pacific Dunes and Bandon Dunes and Applebrook) and would be a great fillip to a Dornoch BUDA.  Also, Skibo would be a great bonus too, and I think we could arrange something there if given enough time to set it up.

Rich

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 07:04:52 AM »
Thanks for the generous comments Rich.  Can I employ you as my MC!

I must confess to a wee tot of self interest in being keen to see how the Struie is coming along and I am heartened by your review.  

Dornoch has everything a BUDA week requires.  I'll be there if it gets the vote.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 07:06:10 AM »
I have no opinion for 2010, I am a sheep and will follow the herd dates permitting.
Cave Nil Vino

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 07:16:23 AM »
Dornoch is probably a place most of us are going to visit one day or another. However, without BUDA I don't think many of us are going to see the Benelux courses. The same argument might hold for Wales.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 07:28:45 AM »
With Dornoch we not only get an arranger but a speaker as well.

September is very problematic for me.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 07:30:55 AM »
Maybe a silly question, but isn't golf in September 2010 in Wales likely to get very expensive (right before the Ryder Cup)?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 08:20:33 AM »
All sound good to me. 

Ryder CUP is 3-5th October and may affect some people’s plans.

On the basis of WIFM? FWIW, May would suit best next year.

Am happy to help where I can.

As an aside
I must say the prospect of Sweeney and Tepper joining the  BUDA frat. would be an excellent adventure.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Craig Disher

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 08:27:31 AM »
Not to crowd the table too much but Peter and I came up with the idea of Liphook and West Sussex for 2010. Peter has a good friend at Liphook and thinks the event would get strong support there. Two advantages that I can see - proximity to Gatwick and the other fine courses within a short drive for pre or post play. This option also offers a look at two courses many of us haven't seen.

All the options sound great and I'd sign up eagerly for any of them. Dates are fine although I'd slightly prefer May/June.

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 08:35:31 AM »
Rich -

I am very likely to be in Dornoch in late May next year. As I would like to participate in a BUDA within the next year or two, I would be very happy to see it held in Dornoch then. I would be happy to organize an outing to Golspie for those interested in playing there.

DT

Stan Dodd

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 09:14:50 AM »
As I have told Rich I have leased a house in Dornoch from May to October next year and would be happy to help with any organizing if that is the venue.  But I willl attend at any venue,  any time next year.
Cheeers
Stan

Gareth Williams

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 10:04:06 AM »
My vote would be for Dornoch and Brora, with a roadtrip up playing perhaps some inland good'uns, then Silloth, Turnbery and Prestwick!!

Sold, I'm in  :)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 10:04:21 AM »
Stan

Thanks.

David

I think that having Golspie as the 2nd course rather than Brora is a great idea, particularly if you will be around.  Brora wil lalways be there for thsoe who want to play it.

Craig

I will add Liphook/West Sussex to the mix on the initial post.

Tony

May seems to be the preferred date.

Ulrich

If the main purpose of BUDA was to get people to places they might not ever get to I agree, but that is not the case.  Outside of Painswick we have gone to well known venues.  To me the purpose of BUDA is getting people to places and then mingling.  Full stop.  The more the merrier.  Askernish would be a great "only time I'll get a chance to play there" venue, but how many people would we get there?

Rich

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:26:32 AM by Rich Goodale »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 10:16:48 AM »
I'm not sure I agree with your last point, Rich.  In recent years BUDA has been to Hoylake and RSG but these are the only top tier courses.  I don't think Alwoodley and Moortown (for all their history) have the same status or attraction (particularly over the pond) and I'm sure Lundin Links and Elie don't but we still got good numbers there.  I wasn't at the Littlestone/Deal BUDA a few years back but similar comments apply there.  I do think that the spirit of BUDA is to include and maybe even be based at less well known but interesting courses.  For that very reason, whilst I'd love to visit Machrihanish or Dornoch again my vote, if all four/five of the options up for discussion were available, would be Benelux, Wales or West Sussex.

I also think the availability of venues for pre/post BUDA is vital and suspect all bar perhaps Machrihanish fit this bill.  The suggestion that Silloth could somehow be incorporated in a Dornoch based BUDA suggests either that someone needs to buy a map or that they have acquired (or intend to acquire) a helicopter.

David_Tepper

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 10:25:19 AM »
Rich -

I was not asserting that Golspie should supplant Brora as the 2nd course in the event. I was offering to organize an ancillary outing there if there was interest from the participants.

That being said, there is no reason Golspie could not be the 2nd course for the event. I will leave that decision to minds greater than mine. ;)

DT 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 10:32:02 AM »
I don't suppose we have any Nairn or Castle Stuart members............ :(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back