News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Hawaiian Courses?
« on: October 01, 2009, 02:56:14 PM »
Heading over to Hawaii with the family in late March.  Looking for course recommendations on Oahu.  Probably staying at Ko'olau for 6 nights and Waikiki for 3.  Thinking Ko'olau and Waialae C.C....Probably 3 rounds.  Any thoughts? Is it worth going to Maui for a day just to play the Plantation course?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

cary lichtenstein

Re: Hawaiian Courses?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »
Yes as to Maui and the Plantation Course and you can also take a day trip to Lanaii and play either of their 2 courses
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:11:33 PM »
Just to play the Plantation? I would say no. Its fairly hard to get to, and it is very good, but not for the hassle that it would take to get there for one day no.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:13:43 PM by Sean Leary »

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »
What about other Oahu recommendations?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:20:07 PM »
What about other Oahu recommendations?

Royal Kunia - Robin Nelson

Hoakalei is a brand new Ernie Els course and is private but might be worth calling to see if you can get on?  I haven;t played it but it sounds interesting.

Launa Hills is a Pete Dye course and one of the better courses on Oahu.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Joel-thx. Was thinking Launa as Pete's always worth a whirl. Maybe I'll check out the others

henrye

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »
Is it worth going to Maui for a day just to play the Plantation course?

Not unless you've got a private aircraft that can land near the resort.  It's not like it's a 2 hour drive in the car.  I liken it to being in Vegas for a week and going to play Pebble Beach.

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:33:14 AM »
Good call on staying at Ko-Olau, funnest course on the island! You might want to drive out to Turtle Bay and play the Palmer course. The layout and conditions are possibly the best in the state (especially compared to Ko-Olau which is always slow and soggy). Pearl Country Club is also a nice change of pace and worth the play, at least for some variety.  :D

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »
Alex,

Thanx for the input.  I'm loath to play any Palmer course as he's probably one of my least favorite, phone-it-in, sell my name for a buck architects...I will look into the other one however...

Nick Asbrock

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 11:50:24 AM »
Bring lots of balls if you play ko-olau..... its brutally hard from the tips

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 12:06:38 PM »
Bring lots of balls if you play ko-olau..... its brutally hard from the tips

Both Koolau and Launa Hills are set in the jungle.  Either of those courses are hard if you don't hit it straight. 

Koolau does have some conditioning problems but its been a few years since I played there.  Mainly because its so wet and I suspect they don't have a very good drainage system the grass doesn't grow properly.  They really need to put in USGA spec greens and maybe even sub air to get the greens in shape.  The greens rolled about a 6 and were bumpy and spotty last time I played there.

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 12:08:23 PM »
Joel,

sounds like i'll need a couple of sleeves and a few rum drinks to boot!

Alex Miller

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 03:21:58 PM »
Jud,

While i agree with you about Palmer on many of his projects, remember that Turtle Bay was one of his earlier designs where he was on sight a lot, and he spent time on sight for some tweaks after it opened. Probably since the Senior Tour was playing there and he still had some close ties. I think it's worth playing once. Have fun on your trip!

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 03:38:56 PM »
I concur on the Turtle Bay recommendation. Conditioning was generally very good, and there are some interesting golf holes with substantial wind. It's also very walkable. I played it a number of times in the mid-90's and got married there.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

ChipOat

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 04:36:14 PM »
Oahu CC is private but not impossible to get on, so I'm told.

It's a fine course and one of the best I've ever seen on a tough piece of property (very hilly).

Nick Asbrock

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 05:50:13 PM »
Koolau gc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back