News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gareth Williams

Jamaican courses?
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
Anyone played, or got an informed view on the following courses in Montego Bay please?;

* Cinnamon Hill

* White Witch

* Half Moon

Am staying near there for Christmas and New year and looking forward to some warm and interesting golf!!

Thanks,
Gareth

J Sadowsky

Re: Jamaican courses?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »
You can add Upton/Sandals to the list, as I will be playing there first week of January.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 02:27:47 PM »
I played the White Witch a few times and enjoyed it. Great views and challenging. Lots of Rocks. You can see the ocean on like 15 or 16 holes.

Played non of  the others
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Greg Clark

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 03:11:58 PM »
Gareth,

I played Tryall 16 years ago on my honeymoon.  The course is profiled in the Courses By Country section.  It has hosted a few high quality professional events, and I enjoyed my day there quite a bit.  Ran probably liked the course just a little more than I did, but I would certainly recommend it.  I think it was around an hours cab ride from Montego Bay.

White Witch wasn't bulit when I was there, but my brother has played it and very much liked it.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 03:21:12 PM »
I played White Witch twice and enjoyed it. I remember ocean views, lots of elevation changes, forecaddies, and the driving range being very windy.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:53:22 PM »
Be careful, it's dangerous down there.  When we were there a couple years ago, two guys in our trip went into town and nearly got mugged.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 05:06:27 PM »
Be careful, it's dangerous down there.  When we were there a couple years ago, two guys in our trip went into town and nearly got mugged.

......  ::)

Scott Stearns

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 05:15:37 PM »
i've played white witch and tryall. 

White Witch-best shape of the mo bay courses, but its resort golf.  i only remember the two-three dogleg lefts around the ravine.

lunch at the clubhouse is good though, and a good place to meet your wife.

Tryall is on the opposite side of mo bay-its a long way away.  its a fun course, up and down a hill, very british.  bare bones maint (i.e. firm and fast when mother nature wants it to be).  i LOVE it, not because its a great arch example, but because its simple

half moon is an RTJ sr and was in good shape when i was there. 

i would not drive past one Mo Bay golf course to play another--none of these are really more than resort golf.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 05:19:25 PM »

It was two years ago when the best caddie at rose hall was murdered in cold blood in jamaica. When I went down there a year ago, two people in our tour came within a hairs breath of getting  mugged with the old "Wanna see where marley wrote" some album.  Nobody ventured away from the resort.  it was like being in a mink lined prison...maybe not mink-lined, but you get the idea.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

J Sadowsky

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 05:41:58 PM »
No one's played Upton (now Sandals Country Club)?  Guess I'll have to give my review in January.  See if I can get the fiancee to do photography.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »

It was two years ago when the best caddie at rose hall was murdered in cold blood in jamaica. When I went down there a year ago, two people in our tour came within a hairs breath of getting  mugged with the old "Wanna see where marley wrote" some album.  Nobody ventured away from the resort.  it was like being in a mink lined prison...maybe not mink-lined, but you get the idea.

Jay
Its just that I have never seen you give visitors to America any safety advice .

Jay Flemma

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 06:07:30 PM »

Jay
Its just that I have never seen you give visitors to America any safety advice .

Drive on the right:)

Raymond

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 09:00:24 PM »
Played Tryall back in 85'. It was a very fun course. Not great, but I really liked it!

Ray

Gareth Williams

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 03:56:16 AM »
i've played white witch and tryall. 

White Witch-best shape of the mo bay courses, but its resort golf.  i only remember the two-three dogleg lefts around the ravine.

lunch at the clubhouse is good though, and a good place to meet your wife.

Tryall is on the opposite side of mo bay-its a long way away.  its a fun course, up and down a hill, very british.  bare bones maint (i.e. firm and fast when mother nature wants it to be).  i LOVE it, not because its a great arch example, but because its simple

half moon is an RTJ sr and was in good shape when i was there. 

i would not drive past one Mo Bay golf course to play another--none of these are really more than resort golf.

Better not tell my girlfriend that then..... ;D (joke, we're not married  ;))

Gareth Williams

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 03:59:21 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

The 3 courses mentioned are all local to where we are staying so would only really look to play those really. Was somewhat surprised by the pricing for the green fee's which seem, even for a resort location, rather steep.

I'll probably aim to play at least two of the courses when we're there. Do like the look of the holes that are beachside though...

Ted Kramer

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 08:51:32 AM »
White Witch - Pure Resort style golf, nicely maintained, some good holes, didn't do much for me, almost "sterile" feeling.
Cinnamon Hill - The exact opposite, kinda funky in places, some really solid holes along the water, liked it a lot.

I was there probably about 7 years ago, so a lot could have changed.
But based on what I can remember, if I had 10 rounds to split between the two, I'd go:
7 Cinn Hill
3 White Witch

Enjoy,
Ted

Gareth Williams

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 10:01:39 AM »
White Witch - Pure Resort style golf, nicely maintained, some good holes, didn't do much for me, almost "sterile" feeling.
Cinnamon Hill - The exact opposite, kinda funky in places, some really solid holes along the water, liked it a lot.

I was there probably about 7 years ago, so a lot could have changed.
But based on what I can remember, if I had 10 rounds to split between the two, I'd go:
7 Cinn Hill
3 White Witch

Enjoy,
Ted

Thanks Ted, that's very helpful  :)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 06:46:41 PM »
Cinnamon Hill is worth a play. Probably almost 200 feet change in elevation from the low point along the water to the what I believe is 12 green. Pretty smooth transition as well until the last hole a par 5 straight up the hill. Apart from that hole and the hole (14??) with the power lines crossing the fairway it is a solid fun course. Excellent finish. Final 3 holes are solid.

You can see White Witch from the 5th hole... and observe how you wish the course were conditioned as CH was not kept to nearly the same standards at WW though I think it an overall superior golf course.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
Jamaica's murder rate is apparently ten times higher than in the US. Also, if you're gay or lesbian, do not go there. Homosexuality is completely illegal in Jamaica and they can throw you into jail for it. Gay bashing is a regular occurrence and the police are either looking away or joining in the fun. Jamaica is definitely NOT the easy-going, tolerant place that they are making themselves out to be.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »
Sad but true to say that remaining within the compound is good advice, However, if you can strike up a relationship with one of the hotel employees you feel comfortable with and trust, hanging out with him/her at one of the local bars just might be a lot of fun. The old adage of just being aware and careful goes a long way. Be smart. When in doubt, sit by the pool and enjoy the scenery.

White Witch......

Half Moon......

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back