News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: GCA BOOMERANG - MARCH 2011 - ITINERARY IDEAS
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2010, 05:50:12 AM »
On the other hand, the Tiger Airways terminal at Melbourne airport - specifically the arrivals area - is something worth seeing. I thought I'd seen some basic airport facilities in my time, but that one took the biscuit....
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Andy Gray

« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2010, 10:06:13 AM »
For Sydney, like Scott said, a ferry trip across the harbour to Manly is a must. If you want a spectacular sunset go to the North Head lookout, with views down the coast towards Bondi Beach and across the 3 harbours (North, Middle and Port Jackson) to the city and North Sydney. It is quite a spectacular view, with some room for a picnic. I would also choose Manly Beach over Bondi or Balmoral, less crowded, bigger, more scenic and never too far away from a pub (I'm also from Manly so there is a bit of favoritism there). For those with smaller children, a 10 minute walk from Manly Beach (which is a surf beach) is Shelley Beach, where there are no waves and some snorkeling can be done. There are also a number of coastal walks or harbour walks which provide some spectacular scenery through the many National Parks which line the shoreline.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2010, 07:47:04 PM »

Travel tools
* For flights within Australia the best airlines are Jetstar and Virgin Blue.

Disagree, I'd strongly recommend QANTAS on the basis of their larger numbered aircraft fleet. An unserviceability by these other carriers (or heaven forbid, Tiger Airways) can lead to extra lengthy delays/rescheds while alternative aircraft are procured.
Also read carefully baggage conditions if you're traveling with golf clubs, going over your allowance or not booking a checked baggage allowance before-hand can add big $$'s to your travel costs.

+1 with Terry's post

They may be cheaper but in my experiences their flight scheduling is much less reliable.

And I also concur with much of what Duncan said as well. I live about an hour and a bit south of Sydney in the beachside heaven that is Wollongong. If any GCAer from O/S who comes to NSW and wants to sample a quieter pace of Aust. life - get in contact with me.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:08:31 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Patrick Kiser

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Matt Day

« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2010, 04:10:20 AM »
I'm happy to get some golf arranged in Perth if anyone is interested, from Melbourne its a 4 hour flight.

Richard Choi

« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2010, 12:14:56 PM »
What is a best way to visit the Great Barrier Reef? How many days does it take to get a good experience?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2010, 12:54:22 PM »
If your club has a reciprocal with Royal Sydney I strongly recommend staying in the clubhouse at Rose Bay. It's a simple bus or ferry into the city centre and there are some very good restaurants nearby. Doyles at Watsons Bay is well known but really worth it.

If you are with family and want to get away for a couple of days in the middle of Sydney I suggest the Pittwater YHA. Very comfortable, plenty to do and a great bus and boat ride all in less than 90 minutes from the CBD.

SA is great for wining and dining, as a D'Arenburg fan lunching at the vineyard was very special. It's not too far from Melbourne, I was devirted to Adelaide on a Sydeny-Melbourne flight!

Ayres Rock is miles from Alice Springs (5+ hour drive or 45 minute flight) do not make the mistake that many do!!
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2010, 01:09:13 PM »
What is a best way to visit the Great Barrier Reef? How many days does it take to get a good experience?

Richard,

I've spent a fair bit of time up there and I would say you could have a good experience in three or four days. Obviously longer is better, but knowing the timeframe you have in mind for the whole visit, that is reasonable.

The two things that are brilliant to do, IMO, are Whitsunday Island - after which the Whitsunday group of islands is named, and Hardy Reef.

Whitsunday Island is an uninhabited island close to any or Hayman, Hamilton or Lindeman Islands. Idyllic, great beach and water etc. Boats do day trips.

Hardy Reef is a great spot to see the coral and GBR marine life. About two hours by fast ferry/boat from Hamilton Island, slightly less from Hayman, slightly more from Lindeman. Or you can get a seaplane, which is awesome and you fly over Heart Reef, which, as its name suggests, is shaped almost perfectly like a love heeart. The missus will love it!

At Hardy Reef is a floating platform you can use as a base for snorkelling (for anyone) or scuba diving (if you are licensed) and there is a glass-bottom semi-sub boat that lets you see the coral while staying dry, as well as the fish and other marine life. And an underwater room in the platform to sit in and watch the fish.

IMO Hamilton Island is the best to stay at, especially for a brief trip, because you fly in there, so there is no time added transferring to another island. It also has a good selection of restaurants and watersports.

The downside is that it has really low tides in front of the main hotel, so the low tide times can mean 100m or so of muddy sand before the water starts. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker for mine.

I would go with:
Day 1 - Fly in from Sydney/Melbourne etc (about 2.5hr from Sydney).
Day 2 - Daytrip to Hardy Reef
Day 3 - Whitsunday Island
Day 4 - Relax, enjoy the island (there is a great hill you can walk/drive a golf buggy up and the views are amazing, 360 degrees of water and other islands) and fly out in the late PM.

Just my two cents.

Scott Warren

Re: GCA BOOMERANG - MARCH 2011 - DEPOSIT TIME!
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2010, 06:36:59 AM »
I have just sent either an email or PM to everyone on the list of attendees in the OP with info about a small deposit to secure their place in the field.

Please make sure you read it (let me know if it doesn't arrive) and get back to me with any questions/issues.

Of course the door remains open as always to those of you who haven't joined the fray yet but are thinking about it. The more the merrier.

Scott Warren

« Reply #159 on: April 20, 2010, 01:14:26 PM »
Some deposit details added, attendees list updated.

Andy Gray

« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2010, 06:33:05 PM »
Scott,

Does the golf start on the friday morning or the saturday? I'm just starting to look at flights to Launceston, and noticed Jetstar are already booked out around these dates.

Cheers,

Andy

Scott Warren

« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2010, 06:39:04 PM »
Golf begins Friday morning, Andy.

The discussions I've had with the guys at Barny Dunes are that the three nights' accommodation is Thurs, Fri and Sat, with the golf played Fri-Sun, 36 holes a day.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2010, 06:59:45 PM »
The cost of baggage was higher than flying costs for me when I toured.
(their internal flights are super cheap by my standards)
I had two weeks of clothes and managed 37 pounds with clubs and gifts!

Its $10 per pound over the limit which I thought was 28 pounds - my average cost was $90 but one leg was $120.
If your clubs are 15 pounds that could be $150 dollars.

The Tips I can offer:

You only pay once - I went to Adelaide and then onto Sydney one day - I paid once.
You can prepay for overage at half the rate by buying the extra weight on line.
Put your heaviest item in your carry on - it does not count - mine had books!

David_Elvins

« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2010, 09:32:58 PM »
Scott,

Does the golf start on the friday morning or the saturday? I'm just starting to look at flights to Launceston, and noticed Jetstar are already booked out around these dates.

I am no aeroplane expert but it would be far more likely that the jetstar flights had not been issued rather than sold out.

FWIW. I am a fan of virgin.  don't pay extra for golf clubs and they have been looked after welll in my experiences.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Andy Gray

« Reply #164 on: April 21, 2010, 12:11:10 AM »
Scott,

I am no aeroplane expert but it would be far more likely that the jetstar flights had not been issued rather than sold out.

FWIW. I am a fan of virgin.  don't pay extra for golf clubs and they have been looked after welll in my experiences.

You could be right, but when it lists a time/date for the flight and says "full" I think it is sold out. However I would expect more flights to be arranged. And for a student, Jetstar is much cheaper (even with extra luggage costs).

Terry Thornton

« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2010, 12:15:32 AM »

The Tips I can offer:

Put your heaviest item in your carry on - it does not count - mine had books!

Most, probably all, carriers have a 7kg (15lbs approx) limit for carry on

David_Elvins

« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2010, 12:18:56 AM »
Most, probably all, carriers have a 7kg (15lbs approx) limit for carry on
Tiger airways have started wighing  carry on luggage.  Most of the others have a bit of leeway, i think. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Scott Warren

« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2010, 06:34:33 AM »
List of received deposits updated.

Scott Warren

« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »
Three more deposits received. Which makes 9 total.

25 other soldiers listed as keen (34 of us total at this stage).

Sean Walsh

« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2010, 11:40:59 PM »
Scott,

Just checking one of those 3 deposits was mine.  Paid on 27/04 $100AU.  Please let me know if there has been a problem.

thanks

Terry Thornton

« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2010, 01:41:12 AM »
Scott,

Just checking one of those 3 deposits was mine.  Paid on 27/04 $100AU.  Please let me know if there has been a problem.

thanks

Me also Scott, though I only paid yesterday. I think it can take up to 3 working days for it to appear on yours.

Scott Warren

« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2010, 04:53:49 AM »
Sean, Terry,

Both have come through. Thanks for that. Will add you to the list of deposits paid in the OP.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2010, 11:13:29 PM »
Alert!!!  Alert!!!

There are some deals going on with Air NZ and I was initially very anxious to pull the trigger now for the flight.  But the fares are still in the $1800-$2000 range.  Is that still too high?  Seems like it.

I'm going to pass on NZ this time around based on the advice.  Same goes for the outback and barrier reef.  I'll try to keep it to the New South Wales region and Taz over a two week stretch.  Getting three weeks off is going to be difficult.  That's unless I join the unemployed, in which case I'll have all the time in the world to work for food / shelter  ;D ...

I'm going to probably push for leaving SF on Thu. 2-24-11 / Fri. 2-25-11, but the question is where should I go first?  I was thinking Sydney, but maybe that's cutting it tight for getting in some sights / scenes / golf before having to make it into Taz.  I was considering a Sydney to Taz to Melbourne to Sydney loop.

For Taz, is it better to fly into Hobart or another airport?

Looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Patrick
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2010, 11:34:20 PM »
Patrick,

If your first port of call in Tasmania is Barnbougle, then fly to Launceston.  If you want to do some sightseeing for a few days then you could fly into Hobart and drive up.

Andy Gray

« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2010, 04:03:53 AM »
Alert!!!  Alert!!!

There are some deals going on with Air NZ and I was initially very anxious to pull the trigger now for the flight.  But the fares are still in the $1800-$2000 range.  Is that still too high?  Seems like it.

I'm going to pass on NZ this time around based on the advice.  Same goes for the outback and barrier reef.  I'll try to keep it to the New South Wales region and Taz over a two week stretch.  Getting three weeks off is going to be difficult.  That's unless I join the unemployed, in which case I'll have all the time in the world to work for food / shelter  ;D ...

I'm going to probably push for leaving SF on Thu. 2-24-11 / Fri. 2-25-11, but the question is where should I go first?  I was thinking Sydney, but maybe that's cutting it tight for getting in some sights / scenes / golf before having to make it into Taz.  I was considering a Sydney to Taz to Melbourne to Sydney loop.

For Taz, is it better to fly into Hobart or another airport?

Looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Patrick

Patrick,

When you are in Sydney I will be happy to either shelter you, show you around, drive you around, take you out for a night, or host you for a game. It can either be one of or a combination of any of these. I will be flying into Launceston when going to Tassie.

Is it just yourself or is there a +1?

Cheers,

Andy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back