News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Bally Bandon...a 1920's East Coast built in Bandon???
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »
I get an email every now and again from GolfConstructionNews.com

Here is the body from one I got today...note the red text at the bottom....Bally Bandon?  Anyone heard of it?  A a course build using 1920s drawings of a course never built on the East Coast w/ Doak contributing.

Something doesn't sound right about this ???  Anyone heard about this?

In September '09, work was continuing on the Tom Doak-designed fourth GC here, called Old MacDonald GC (a nod to C.B. MacDonald). Assisting Doak on the design is associate, Jim Urbina. Also in late September '09, it was learned that plans are underway for a 12-hole par-3 layout. Resort owner Mike Keiser hired Coore-Crenshaw (512-477-5441) for the short course, which will be routed atop dunes starting near the first tee of Coore-Crenshaw's Bandon Trails 18. Depending on the architects' schedule, work on the par-3 track could commence in 2011 and be completed in 2012. The resort is taking reservations for limited (10-hole) preview play at Old MacDonald from April 1 to October 1, 2009 for $110. Initially, only 32 players a day will be allowed on the GC. If all goes well, the 7,100-yard GC will open in June 2010. The 250-acre site is inland, and to the north and east of Pacific Dunes. Doak and Urbina are collaborating on ! the GC with various golf architectural aficionados, including George Bahto, author of a book about Macdonald's life. The greens will range in size from 8,000-sf to 20,000-sf. Resort owner Mike Keiser has continued to acquire neighboring land, more than 500 acres in all, for possible future GCs. In addition to the Old MacDonald GC, the resort also intends to build 50-75 new guest rooms nearby, bringing the total of guest accommodations to over 300. Here's more background: In April '06, a par-3 nine called "Wee Dunes" designed by David McLay Kidd opened for play near the practice facility. On June 1, '05, work finished up on the par-71 6,849-yard Bandon Trails and its own clubhouse. Long-range plans include two mixed-use village centers with 150 overnight units and a cultural/visitor facility. Keiser has approval for 300 SF HUs, but there is no timeline for developing those. The latest 925-acre expansion was approved by Coos County commissioners in December '02. In addition to the or! iginal Bandon Dunes GC and Pacific Dunes, there's also Bally Bandon GC, which was designed from 1920s drawings of a never-built GC on the East Coast, with Doak contributing. That GC is private with limited public play.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Bally Bandon...a 1920's East Coast built in Bandon???
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:49:30 PM »
Chip,

Just search "Bally Bandon" and you'll have your answer. No surprises.  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 12:58:46 PM »
For those not wishing to take the time to "GOOGLE' search, I did and confirmed my suspicion that it was the Sheep Ranch.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »
sorry guys...i tried the GCA search and found 13 pages of all kinds of stuff with "Bally"and "Bandon" in it...i can say i have had little success with the GCA search function but i do try it

i would delete the thread if i could, sorry to waste everyone's time.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:13:02 PM »
Ballybandon has absolutely been another name for the Sheep Ranch.

It was printed right on the makeshift scorecard....
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
I had never heard that it was based on plans from a course that was never built. Interesting. Anybody have details on that?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 03:24:49 PM »
If Bandon decided to build a real estate component on the property - not on the golf courses - wouldn't people live there?
Could it eventually grown into a quaint little town?   (filled with 1500 golf lovers?)

8 - 10 courses
10,000 residents @ 90% participation x 25 rounds a year = 225,000 rounds by the locals + resort guests
A School
Vol Fire

Isn't that kind of how Pinehurst started?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 03:55:12 PM »
For those in the know....does Bandon still not have a decent Sports Bar?  I've been thinking there must be at least a few under-served industry niches in the area.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »
I had never heard that it was based on plans from a course that was never built. Interesting. Anybody have details on that?

Thats my question as well.  Is it an old Raynor, Macdonald or Ross course that was never built?

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »
That was the part that threw me off as well.  I have never played Sheep Ranch, though have heard a lot about it, I never knew it was called Bally Bandon nor that it was some take off of an old East Coast course.  I know Will Smith worked on it, maybe he can chime in here.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 05:51:48 PM »
That was the part that threw me off as well.  I have never played Sheep Ranch, though have heard a lot about it, I never knew it was called Bally Bandon nor that it was some take off of an old East Coast course.  I know Will Smith worked on it, maybe he can chime in here.

This notion of BallyBandon being based on an east coast course that was never built is a genuine mystery.

I feel fairly confident in saying the sheep ranch/ballybandon is not based on anything in the current configuration.

Which is sort of the point, there is no current configuration, thus how could it be based on something??? 
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

SPDB

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:41:15 PM »
This is probably an amalgam of the Sheep Ranch and Mike Keiser's fascination with Lido and his on-the-record musings some years back that he would like to recreate Lido from the original plans at Bandon

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:45:42 PM »
Sheep Ranch?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 02:05:39 AM »
Bally Bandon was the name of a holding company Mr. Keiser has used ... I think it was the original name for Bandon Dunes Resort, actually, but I'm sure it was used for The Sheep Ranch.

The description of The Sheep Ranch being based on holes from an East Coast course from the 1920's is news to me.  There's no truth to it.  It must be a confusion of the once-proposed idea to replicate Lido GC in Bandon, a forerunner of the Old Macdonald concept.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 03:08:31 AM »
Yep..the sheep ranch, project X, area 51.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back