News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Manuel

Headphones during competition?
« on: September 30, 2009, 09:07:47 AM »
Played in a local better ball competition this past weekend.  The twosome that we were paired with had a gentleman who was not playing very well.  On the 8th tee he pulled out a pair of headphones and an audio device.  He started listening to something.  He never hit a shot with the headphones on, but I couldn't tell if he was listening to instructional tapes or music.  After a few holes I asked if this was within the rules and was told that it was.  They said they had asked the local golf association and were told it was fine.

Not sure I buy this, can anyone shed some light on this situation?
The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Headphones during competition?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:09:39 AM »
As long as he was just listening to music it is legal.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:12:38 AM »
Didn't Richard Zokol or someone of that era use headphones in one tourney?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:11:17 AM »
What an a-hole move in general.
H.P.S.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »
Jeff, Disco Dick Indeed!

As stated, the use of such devices is legal as long as nothing is listened to which could aid the player, for example, a song which helps with tempo is illegal.  Two other notes.

1. Many organizations prohibit the use of electronic devices, such as cell phones and PDAs, and may include iPods and similar in that prohibition.

2. The ruling bodies are carefully studying this whole area and may ban the use of all such devices in the future.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Peter Galea

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 11:25:15 AM »
"chief sherpa"

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 12:07:52 PM »
Headphones are OK within the Rules as long as they aren't being used for golf instructional purposes. There is a Decision to that affect.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 02:46:33 PM »
Played in a local better ball competition this past weekend.  The twosome that we were paired with had a gentleman who was not playing very well.  On the 8th tee he pulled out a pair of headphones and an audio device.  He started listening to something.  He never hit a shot with the headphones on, but I couldn't tell if he was listening to instructional tapes or music.  After a few holes I asked if this was within the rules and was told that it was.  They said they had asked the local golf association and were told it was fine.

Not sure I buy this, can anyone shed some light on this situation?
Headphones per se are not illegal.  If used for instruction or other information to aid the golfer that is not public then they cannot be used.  At the USGA Sr Am at Beverly in Chicago two weeks ago a coulple of the players put earphones on to drown out some noise from the airplanes as they approached Midway.  On a certain approach pattern they can come in over the course.
Best
Dave

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back