News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

The coolest thing I have ever heard about a golf course!
« on: September 29, 2009, 02:30:29 PM »
Before we began play at Littlestone Brian Hopper, an enthusiastic Littlestone member, told me that the course was built on shingle. As a result the greens can change WITHIN MONTHS !!!

I immediately thought that Donald Trump will build a course with moveable greens some day!
AKA Mayday

Melvyn Morrow

Re: The coolest thing I have ever heard about a golf course!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »

Mike

"The coolest thing I have ever heard about a golf course".. its got no carts or distance aids

Now that is Cool ;)

Melvyn

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:42:45 PM »
Moveable greens.  I winced just reading that... :'(

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 02:48:49 PM »
"Got them hydraulics dumpin and makin' it drop"

Don't tell me Xzibit was rabbing a forecast about The Donald's adjustable greens?!

Michael Blake

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 03:02:25 PM »
Mike, looks and sounds like it was a fun trip.  Littlestone 'recognized' the GCA'ers:

http://www.littlestonegolfclub.org.uk/news.htm#Golf Club Architects

Unfortunate that an anti-cart/distance aids post made its way to THIS thread.  

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 03:55:09 PM »
Mike, looks and sounds like it was a fun trip.  Littlestone 'recognized' the GCA'ers:

http://www.littlestonegolfclub.org.uk/news.htm#Golf Club Architects

Unfortunate that an anti-cart/distance aids post made its way to THIS thread.  

Brian also explained the moveable shingle underneath the greens to me whilst he and Joe Fairey were administering a severe beating to Fairey junior and myself.  He showed us several greens where undulations had changed significantly which was fascinating.  Clearly you could be an experienced member and still not be able to read the greens.

Michael B
I agree there is no need for an anti cart/distance aid post (or indeed a pro cart/distance aid post) to pollute this thread.  After all there's enough threads devoted to that topic already.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »
Nick Leefe chimed in about peat under the greens at his course. I believe he said it leads to changes there as well. I recall he mentioned a course where they placed a layer above the peat.
AKA Mayday

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »
I recall reading in LINKS magazine that some of the greens at Beau Desert (in northern England and a favorite of our esteemed Sean Arble) are built over coal mines that have been closed for many years. Every so often there is movement/slippage in the mine shafts deep underground and the contours of the greens there have changed over time.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »
Mike when you mentioned this at Deal on the Monday night, David Dobie the Club Historian said that their first green was also on shingle and that the pronounced ridges had magnified when a gas pipe was put in near the road, altering the water table flow.  8)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 05:22:35 PM »
That the irrigation system works on gravity - there is no pump station

- Capilano

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 04:49:56 AM »
Before we began play at Littlestone Brian Hopper, an enthusiastic Littlestone member, told me that the course was built on shingle. As a result the greens can change WITHIN MONTHS !!!

I immediately thought that Donald Trump will build a course with moveable greens some day!

Hey Mike,

You make the joke about Donald Trump... But you are very close to the way it might be at the new Menie Estate course in Aberdeen.... The course could (and many say should) be built in such a way that it allows the mobile dunes to continue their movement, thus providing a shifting golf course over time... See a Mike Wood article in Adam Lawrence's GCA magazine for the best explanation of this (I think that is where it was published)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 10:22:45 AM »
Someone here once sang the virtues of grain and how it should be encouraged.  Not!  I've seen quite a few GCAers play golf and the last thing we need is "moving" greens and/or more grain.  As an architect I played with recently said of the underlying theme of his work: "golf is supposed to be fun".  Three and four-whacking is not fun for most normal folk.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »
Someone here once sang the virtues of grain and how it should be encouraged.  Not!  I've seen quite a few GCAers play golf and the last thing we need is "moving" greens and/or more grain.  As an architect I played with recently said of the underlying theme of his work: "golf is supposed to be fun".  Three and four-whacking is not fun for most normal folk.
Lou,

I think you're missing the point.  Any movement is on a scale of months or years, it's not going to affect day to day play.  And this thread has nothing to do with grain.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 11:28:18 AM »
Mike,
We experience some changes in the contours of our greens after the winter. It's been a bit more noticeable after a deep aerification was done a couple years ago, but certain combinations of thaws and frosts get our push-ups moving a bit.

I've played these greens for 28 years or so and it's noticeable. It's not a huge amount of movement, and it certainly doesn't happen during the season because by mid-May everything seems to be back to normal, or we get used to the minor changes.  ;) 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 01:51:56 PM »
The coolest thing I ever heard about a course was that I was going to be allowed to play it.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back