News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

Sammy Iron
« on: September 29, 2009, 06:25:32 AM »
The hickory shafts thread reminded me of a question I've been wanting to ask.  I have in my possession a sammy iron.  Web searches have revealed more people named Sam(my) Irons than I would have thought existed but precious little about golf clubs called Sammy, so I'm wondering if any other hickory enthusiasts have any information. 

I think it resembles a cleek, and after I had it reshafted I've found it a blast to play.  The maker is W. Winton, London & Montrose.  This specimen is presumably a Montrose as it is stamped made in Scotland. 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Brian_Ewen

Steve Wilson

Re: Sammy Iron
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 07:56:56 AM »
Thank you Brian. 

There's some fascinating stuff in those search results, including a lengthy record of a man's adoption of hickory clubs as part of his Search for Bobby Jones.

Still no answer to why it's called a sammy iron though.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back