News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Mike Young is posted
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »
One easy way to gain a fan base on GolfClubAtlas.com, the world's most feared web site 8), is to state how much you admire the work of dead architects. Indeed, try and temper such a statement just a little and people crucify you. Nearly since the site was started, one man who has made clear his admiration for traditional architecture is Georgia-based architect Mike Young. However, at the same time, he has made it equally evident (despite some inevitable chastisement) that he also chooses to mingle modern methods and strategies amongst the classic design principles. To his credit, he has always been quick to highlight areas in particular such as drainage, grassing and maintainability where improvement can be had from the Golden Age of golf course architecture.

On more than one occasion and again repeated in this Feature Interview, he states the current 'period of restoration' has received too much hype. Also, though not to offend, Mike has always thought that too few modern architects are given credit for understanding classic design principles. In fact, Mike contends (not unreasonably!) that how can an architect be a restoration 'expert' without having struggled to build original eighteen hole courses on his own? It is only in the pursuit of building courses from scratch that one can begins to understand how difficult golf course architecture is with its inherent trade-offs. That perspective seems fair enough to me and Mike has earned the right to that opinion having designed over twenty-five courses from Georgia to Costa Rica in nearly twenty-five years of going at it under his own name.

Golf course architecture is a brutal profession, especially now, and my hat is off to architects like Mike who have provided a service to the game over such a sustained period.

Hope you enjoy September's Feature Interview and many of Mike's non-formulaic responses.

Cheers,

A.G._Crockett

Re: Feature Interview with Mike Young is posted
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:58:49 PM »
This is a very good read, and some very interesting takes on both GCA and the game itself. 

Having just left a club that almost doubled my dues in a year by adding not only a health club and a bigger pool but (and I'm NOT kidding here) FLAT SCREEN PLASMA TV'S IN THE WALL AT EYE LEVEL OF EACH URINAL IN THE MEN'S BATHROOM, Mike's take on what makes a club viable (or not) really hit home.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:10:25 PM »
An interesting read.  I appreciate the frankness.

I really liked this summary.
I want most of my features to be subtle, hoping that the golfer is surprised more by the simplicity of the design rather than the dramatics.  My overall philosophy on design is to keep it simple, basic, and strategically viable, in order to promote longevity.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:17:49 PM »
An interesting read.  I appreciate the frankness.

I really liked this summary.
I want most of my features to be subtle, hoping that the golfer is surprised more by the simplicity of the design rather than the dramatics.  My overall philosophy on design is to keep it simple, basic, and strategically viable, in order to promote longevity.

With lines like that, Mike is going to make one heck of an old dead guy.....some day.

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
Mike really is the man.  What a refreshing read.  Who else gets to make money building golf courses in Costa Rica.

Plus he as the balls to be a Tech fan in Athens.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:40:18 PM »
Mike,

Wonderful interview... you do your name proud!  ;D

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »
Mike,

I agree.  Mike's around the GCA world are proud of the interview.  ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:43:37 PM »
Mike,

Yep, a lot of Mikes should be smiling.

ChipOat

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »
The idea that there could possibly be anything modern that's an improvement on Golden Age golf architecture is total heresy and complete poppycock!  This DG is all about living in the past and the very consideration of validating something that Charles Blair Macdonald didn't personally approve is unacceptable and intolerable.

Signed,
Tom Paul   

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 07:37:01 PM »
Great stuff, Mike.  Everybody should take a trip down to Long Shadow...great course and price.

Chip, that was hilarious! ;D
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »
Question for Phil and Mike....

Is it true you are only as Young as you feel?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

tlavin

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 02:59:39 PM »
I had the pleasure of Mike's company at Beverly the other day.  What a great guy!  I enjoyed his take on the architectural bona fides of the Bev but I enjoyed the banter he had with his two buddies even more.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 03:10:02 PM »
Jeff,

I guarantee we'll never grow "old"!

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 02:59:19 PM »
I almost missed this terrific interview.

Mike, in your finishing up the following question . . .

15. What do you see for the future of golf architects?  RM

". . .  We will know we are where we should be when the consumer really doesn’t know the name of the architect."   MY

Would you please expound on this?   I think I get the gist of removing the celebrity status of an architect, though I may be wrong, but as a designer, I would expect that building a reputation is to be one pursuit of the business. 

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 03:50:11 PM »
I almost missed this terrific interview.

Mike, in your finishing up the following question . . .

15. What do you see for the future of golf architects?  RM

". . .  We will know we are where we should be when the consumer really doesn’t know the name of the architect."   MY

Would you please expound on this?   I think I get the gist of removing the celebrity status of an architect, though I may be wrong, but as a designer, I would expect that building a reputation is to be one pursuit of the business. 

Slag,
I do think everyone wishes to gain a reputation as a designer and hopefully that will continue.  But how often have we seen it where the reputation was a "snowballing effect" not based as much on how good the product was but how large the marketing and advetsing budget and constrcution budget.  Both of these things have often made a project unreasonable.  Think about the great hotels you visit....can you name the architect?  Or the great restaurants...can you name the chef?  I often can't.  For so long our great courses were golf courses first and architect second......but with the need to sel real estate overpowering the need for great golf it became common practice to promote the name of the designer.  I think I am trying to say that we should not be judging golf courses until they have been on the ground for a while......does that make sense ;)   
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Norbert P

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
Mike, thanks, it makes clear sense.   It's akin to the big print of a  famous author's name over the title of the book.

E.g., 
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back