News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

"The very soul of golf shrieks." !?
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:24:54 AM »
"The very soul of golf shrieks."

This is a well known and much quoted remark from C.B. Macdonald. I'm starting a thread on it because in the last month or so I've come to realize I have always believed he actually said this perhaps twenty years or more before he apparently did. How about the rest of you?

Because I thought he said it around 1906 or perhaps up to ten years earlier I always believed he may've been referring to the type and style of architecture that some of us refer to as "19th century" or "Dark Age" or "Geometric" or "Victorian" or even "Steeplechase"-----a lot of the architecture that preceded Macdonald's NGLA (1906-1910). Most of that earlier MAN_MADE architecture was basically rectilinear.

But it seems to me that Macdonald may've first made this remark and criticism around 1926 to 1928 (because he mentions it in his book "Scotland's Gift Golf" with no quotes from any previous account (including some of his own earlier quoted writing)).

If his remark is just used alone (as it generally is) and taken out of its context it appears the much earlier rectilinear architecture of the late 19th century and early 20th century was not at all what he was referring to as what he felt made "The very soul of golf shriek." It appears the evolving attempts in architecture to depart from that earlier rectilinear architecture, apparently in the teens and '20s was what he was referring to.

Look at the context of his entire remark in his book published in 1928:

"Viewing the monstrosities created on many modern golf courses which are a travesty on Nature, no golfer can but shudder for the soul of golf. It would seem that in this striving after "novelty and innovation," many builders of golf courses believe they are elevating the game. But what a sad contemplation.
         Motoring to Southampton, I pass a goodly number of new courses. As I view the putting greens it appears to me they are all built entirely similarly, more or less of a bowl or saucer type, then built up toward the back of the green, and then scalloped with an irregular line of low, waving mounds or hillocks, the putting green for all the world resembling a pie-faced woman with a macel wave. I do not believe any one ever saw in nature anything approaching these home-made putting-greens. Then scattered on the side of the fairway are mounds modeled after haycocks or chocolate-drops. The very soul of golf shrieks."

It appears Macdonald was reacting to the new and modern primarily curvilinear lines of the architecture of the teens and 1920s and not the earlier rectilinear lines of the older 19th century and early 20th century MAN-MADE architecture.

Who, like me, thought he was referring to an architectural type and style that was much earlier, apparently the type and style that was prevalent BEFORE his NGLA and not afterwards?

Patrick_Mucci

Re: "The very soul of golf shrieks." !?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:15:48 AM »
TEPaul,

Rectilinear architecture was very much in evidence at GCGC where CBM was a member, so I'm not so sure that RA was the object of his focus.

Remember, he also appointed Travis to assist him at NGLA        
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 10:18:01 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »
Are squared off tees a remnant of rectilinear architecture?

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »
"TEPaul,
Rectilinear architecture was very much in evidence at GCGC where CBM was a member, so I'm not so sure that RA was the object of his focus."

Pat:

Read his entire remark above in the first post. Rectilinear architecture (RA?) apparently was not his criticism unless one assumes that putting greens in shapes like saucers and bowels built up in the backs of greens and then scalloped with an irregular line of low waving mounds and hillocks resembling pie faced women with marcel waves is rectilinear architecture (RA). I'd say those descriptions resemble curvilinear architecture not rectilinear architecture, wouldn't you?  ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:54:58 PM by TEPaul »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 06:31:27 AM »
Hi TEPaul:

I've just started reading Geoff Shackelford's "Grounds for Golf". On page 30-31 he discusses the Penal School and includes the above quotation. He mentions that coffin shaped bunkers, triangular mounds, defined sets of bunkers and other geometric features became the "new thing" in golf in as early as the 1870s. He seems to make a connection between these features and "penal" design where architects shift hazards away from the centrelines of holes. I appears that Shackelford may also have misinterpreted the quote.

Dónal.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 08:15:21 AM »
TEP
My guess it was written in the early to mid-twenties. While discussing that particular subject he describes Tailer's Ocean Links, which opened in 1921 I believe. Also in 1924 Grantland Rice wrote an article in which he quoted CBM on the subject of golf architecture, where he expressed very similar thoughts, I'm not sure if it is verbatim, if not its very close. Undoubtedly there were many mediocre courses on LI left over from an early time or designed more recently by mediocre golf architects. My father was the green-keeper of a nine-hole golf course at Port Jefferson which was probably one of the courses that caused CBM to shriek.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:20:42 AM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »
Macdonald's often used quote "It makes the soul of golf shriek" does appear to be generally interpreted to mean the early geometric (Victorian, Dark Age etc) architecture of the early years (1890s- 1900s) but apparently that may've been caused by taking the remark out of the context of the rest of the paragraph (from Macdonald) it was in. Since the entire paragraph appears not in quotations in his 1928 biography it seems he wrote it first in that book. (By the way, in minutes from The Creek Club it appears Macdonald hied out to his cottage in Bermuda for an extended time to write "Scotland's Gift Golf" beginning perhaps in early 1927 after resigning as the president of the Chellenworth Corporation (that owned The Creek Club)).

But the additional and perhaps more telling key to the fact Macdonald seems to have be criticizing the architecture of a later period (perhaps the 1920s) is his remark in that paragraph about man-made greens and architectural features looking like "Marcel Waves."

As far as I know Marcel Waves was a hair style that became popular during the Roaring Twenties that features those tight consistent curving waves (recently the hairstyle has made something of a comeback amongst the Hollywood set). It was done with a Marcel steam or hot Iron that was named after the famous French hairdresser Marcel Grateau.

So apparently that type of architectural innovation in the 1920s was what Macdonald was criticizing (among others) that prompted him to say "it made the very soul of golf shriek."

I even suspect that by the 1920s Macdonald may've become a bit Po-faced with the architecture of some of those considered the best of that time including Tillinghast, Flynn, perhaps Ross et al as their styles were very much diverging from the style he had instituted in America sometimes known at "The National School" style. It also appears by the mid to late 1920s Macdonald had become quite unapproachable.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:00:23 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

Re: "The very soul of golf shrieks." !? New
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:14:16 AM »
Shivas:

I agree with your take completely but there is a certain irony to it that has always occured to me and that is that so many of those famous holes abroad that Macdonald used as what he called "classical" templates in principle if not in actual complete copies most all had something about them that at one time or another was glaringly man-made and glaringly man-made looking and as often as not Macdonald copied that too (as in the original sleepers in front of NGLA's "Short"). The reason for that even on the great old courses such as TOC wasn't because man was trying to trump Nature exactly but that he was only trying to prevent Nature from completely destroying something that was natural!   :-X

And I also think any truly honest golf architectural analyst would just have to admit if they were honest that a green like The Road Hole as well as its famous Road Hole Bunker either at TOC or any of Macdonald's copies of it looked anything BUT natural or naturally occuring. That just adds to the irony in my opinion!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:19:30 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back