News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Name of Chicago GC's holes
« on: September 26, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »
I played my first MacDonald/Raynor a couple of weeks ago at Chicago Golf Club. Does anyone know the names of the 18 holes? Here are some pictures from the day (with the names I knew)

2nd 'Road'

3rd 'Biarritz', swale and short of it fairway height

7th 'Redan'

12th 'Punchbowl'

13th 'Eden' (not sure about this)

14th 'Cape'

And also cutting the fairway

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bill_McBride

Re: Name of Chicago GC's holes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:25:08 PM »
The tenth hole is "Short."

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 01:32:52 PM »
#6 has got to be the "Plateau"

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 02:01:55 PM »
I played my first MacDonald/Raynor a couple of weeks ago at Chicago Golf Club. Does anyone know the names of the 18 holes? Here are some pictures from the day (with the names I knew)
Padraig,  I am playing here either next week or the week after-I should remember the names from previous visits-I will post them after my round .  It is a special place.                        Jack

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:48:52 PM »
Paging Dan Moore...who still has my book on the history of Chicago Golf Club, so he should know...

Dan Moore

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
I have checked Ben Crenshaw's description of the holes at CGC from Eric's book, my yardage book and the scorecard and the names are not listed.  As I recall #1 was called "Get Away" and the 18th is the "Home" hole.

Padraig I'm interested in your impression of an early 20th Century Midwestern attempt to emulate a seaside links course. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:54:27 PM »
#1 is Get Away

#2 is Road

#3 is Biarritz

#4 is Volcano

#5 is Leven

#6 is Plateau

#7 is Redan

#8 ???

#9 ???

#10 is Short

#11 ???

#12 is Punchbowl (One of my favorites holes on earth!)

#13 is Eden

#14 is Cape

#15 ???

#16 ???

#17 is Alps (though it takes a bit of creative looking to see it IMO)

#18 is Home

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »
I have checked Ben Crenshaw's description of the holes at CGC from Eric's book, my yardage book and the scorecard and the names are not listed.  As I recall #1 was called "Get Away" and the 18th is the "Home" hole.

Padraig I'm interested in your impression of an early 20th Century Midwestern attempt to emulate a seaside links course. 

Dan, I was very impressed by Chicago, really enjoyed the open feel of the course, loved the open expanses. I don't think you'd tire of playing it, plenty of different challenges.

The interesting point was my fellow travellers didn't like openness and talked about the lack of definition. We only played Chicago GC in Chicago and then travelled up to Frankfort, Mi where we played Arcadia Bluffs and then Crystal Downs.

The guys prefered Arcadia to Chicago which lead to me calling them Philistines for the week, thankfully for them, they rated Crystal Downs highly (but how could you not).

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 02:48:43 PM »
#1 is Get Away

#2 is Road

#3 is Biarritz

#4 is Volcano

#5 is Leven

#6 is Plateau

#7 is Redan

#8 ???

#9 ???

#10 is Short

#11 ???

#12 is Punchbowl (One of my favorites holes on earth!)

#13 is Eden

#14 is Cape

#15 ???

#16 ???

#17 is Alps (though it takes a bit of creative looking to see it IMO)

#18 is Home

I checked George Bahto's 'The Evangelist of Golf' and Graves and Cornish's 'Classic Golf Hole Design' but no further clues to hole names. One of the guys in the pro shop talked about a 'Shore' hole when mentioning some of the names but I'm not sure what type of hole a 'Shore' is.

- Pablo Picasso

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 02:53:56 PM »

Dan, I was very impressed by Chicago, really enjoyed the open feel of the course, loved the open expanses. I don't think you'd tire of playing it, plenty of different challenges.

The interesting point was my fellow travellers didn't like openness and talked about the lack of definition. We only played Chicago GC in Chicago and then travelled up to Frankfort, Mi where we played Arcadia Bluffs and then Crystal Downs.

The guys prefered Arcadia to Chicago which lead to me calling them Philistines for the week, thankfully for them, they rated Crystal Downs highly (but how could you not).

Your group sounds like mine that liked Arcadia better than Crystal Downs. ;) I prefer Chicago GC to CD and CD to Arcadia. The 12th is my favorite Punchbowl anywhere.
Mr Hurricane

bill_k

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 10:28:06 PM »
Could be wrong...only played there once, back in 2002.
But I'm pretty sure that #17 is a Maiden hole...
Only a few holes at Chicago are not the standard Macdonald/Raynor Templates...the two that stand out are #8 (semi-blind tee shot with the mounds down the left side) and #18...which appears to be relatively unchanged from the original Macdonald layout.
Come to think of it...I'm certain that #17 is the Maiden hole...I might have it confused with #16...anyway, it's one of those two holes.
My host told me the many mounds that dot the property are all that remain of the original Macdonald layout, with the exception of a handful of faiway corridors and the 10th hole.

Probably the last club in America where I would have expected to find a swimming pool...

bill_k

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 10:31:17 PM »
And...IMHO the Redan 7th is probably the most visually intimidating par-3 tee shot in golf that does not include water or out-of-bounds...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back