News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Should the tees you play
« on: September 26, 2009, 12:45:59 PM »
be dictated by your handicap ?

Would that speed up play and make the game more enjoyable ?

Would it give golfers something extra to strive for, or avoid ?

Jim Adkisson

Re: Should the tees you play
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 12:55:28 PM »
When playing a new course, I always check the scorecard for the distance, slope and rating and try to play the appropriate tees for my skill level...unless...I am playing as a single and then I typically will play the tees that the other three players are playing...this usually works well if they know what they are up to, but is sometimes a disaster when they MUST play the whole course with their mid-to-high handicaps and then I spend 5 hours helping them find their balls or telling them where its appropriate to drop yet another orb.

In a perfect world, players on a course for the first time would ask the starter what would be appropriate for our X-to-Y handicaps.

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 01:06:23 PM »
Do you mean dictated in terms of if you are a 2 handicap you MUST play the tips, or do you mean dictated as in restricted (i.e. you can't play the tips if you are above a 5, but if you are below a 5 and wish to not play the tips, that is fine).

There are many courses that put handicap guidance on the scorecard for each set of tees, though I've never seen it enforced.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »
No.  

- There is too large of a discrepancy in distances players of similar handicaps hit the ball.  I regularly play with a 5 handicap who hits it 220 Yards off the tee and other 5 handicaps that hit it 280-300. A long course can be monotonous for the short hitter (driver/fwy wood) and a short course can be monotonous for the long hitter (hybrid/wedge).

- I think it can hurt the flow of a round of golf to have people play from different tees.  

- I also think it is good for a player to use the "wrong" tees on occasion.  It stress tests different parts of your game and reveals weaknesses that may be hidden somewhat from normal tees.

Richard Choi

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 01:40:48 PM »
No for me as well.

You should play the distance that you are comfortable with (which should result in a fast round). That could be longer or shorter than the recommended tee.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 03:39:39 PM »
No handicap, no play?

You should play the tees you want to. Anything else is just arbitrary interference of others.

No reason, OTOH, that club could not 'recommend'.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 03:47:13 PM »

Pat,

In short yes. One of the worst things in golf is to get behind someone playing from the wrong tees. Also in the weekend game I hate to have a partner that is obviously playing from the wrong tees.

Anthony

Will Peterson

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 04:04:51 PM »
I agree that you should play a yardage that you find comfortable for your game, but I have found that the vast majority of golfers have no idea how far they hit the ball.  I cannot count the number of times that I have played with someone and asked what tees they wanted to play.  They were unsure so I asked how far they hit it, and they would replied with a yardage that was 20-75 yards further than any shot they hit all day.  Too many people play tees based on the longest drive they have ever hit and not the average length they actually hit it.

I also a believer that until you reach a certain level of skill a course cannot be too short.  Has anyone ever said, "I didn't play well today because the course was too short."  Also, I find it very enjoyable to play short courses now and again as it offers great chances to shoot low rounds.  I don't understand how driver / wedge can get boring, as it presents chances to shoot really low numbers which is always fun.  I make a point of playing to forward tees (5200) once a month.  It is not as easy as you would expect, as  you still have to chip and putt, and makes for a fun day out.

I also think if there is one golfer in the group that is much better than the rest, he should move up and not his partners move back.  I see too many groups with one good player and his three friends struggling from the tips.  As a low handicap player, I make a point to find a set of tees that my partners will be comfortable with, even if I would rather play it further back.

From my experience, well over 50-75% of golfers play the wrong tees.  It would almost be better to have a set requirement for each handicap level.  I think once players got over their macho egos and ideas from watching tour players and played courses that were appropriate for their skill level, they would have more fun and play at a better pace.

Richard Choi

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
Will, what does it matter to you if a person is "playing a wrong tee" in you opinion?

As long as the person keeps up with the group up front, they can play from the parking lot for all I care.

Only reason to force a move up is if playing from the wrong tee is preventing you from keeping up. But then again, from most people I see on the course, they would still be slow even if they were playing from the ladies tees.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 04:34:06 PM »
There's two issues here:

1.  Do you want to have fun from an appropriate set of tees?
2.  Do you play fast?

It's important to distinguish one from the other.  If you play fast, play from wherever the hell you want - just keep up.  If that's fun for you, then go right ahead.  If you take 3 practice swings and line up your 4th putt from both sides, then don't play any tees and take up tennis.

I have lots of folks asking what tees they should play at Erin Hills, and I go into more how it's about "getting the ball in the hole" rather than distance.  To me, it's not how far you hit it - it's about how you control the ball.  If you hit it 200 or 300 and you hit it sideways every time, then what does it really matter?  If you control the ball, then play wherever you're going to have the most fun and keep up!

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 04:42:25 PM »
Mike I agree with you and I think "playing the right tee" is a red-herring.

If you badly slice your driver from the blue tees, the chances are you are STILL going to slice your driver from the white tees (or the ladies tees for that matter).

Unless you are a pretty decent short player, a difference of 300 or 400 yards on a course is not going to make much of a difference. It is not like people switch strategy and hit more 3 wood or iron off the tee because they are playing from the shorter tees. They are still going to try to bust their driver from every tee. Only place it make any difference is from the par 3's and even then you are probably looking at 1 or 2 stroke difference max.

People should play from wherever they are most comfortable, because that is where they will probably play their best due to their comfort level.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 04:48:37 PM »
This is really ANOTHER 'slow play' thread, isn't it? Disguised with another question, but that is really the point.

I played with my common partner the other day, on a course with gps on the cart, and timing given as 4.5 hours. We had no one ahead of use, and one very fast twosome behind us, whom we waved through early. We finished in 3.5 hrs, an hour ahead of 'timing' given. Could we have played faster? Of course. Why would we? The day was great, the course was beautiful, and we were enjoying ourselves.

Today most courses have 'timing' given; usually between 4.25 and 4.75 hrs. If those in front of you are keeping such timing, mind your own business. If they are not, check to see if other players or circumstances are holding them up. If not, perhaps ask to play through. Most people are fine with that.

I, like everyone else, have been forced into long rounds. At Tot Hill Farm, it was 5.75hr. Fortunately, the course was so much fun we hardly noticed.

Mostly, I am in no hurry. I LIKE playing golf!

Maybe you could find some place where timing is 2.5hr, and enjoy yourself?  ::)

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Shawn Arlia

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »
i agree with richard. It doesnt matter what tees you play from as long as you can keep up. I personally play the tees that make me feel comfortable. Usually anything between 6400 and 6700 yards. However im not afraid to play a course 7000 yards long though i know that im going to have to lower my standards as to what is a good score.

Scott Henderson

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »
I agree with (what I perceive as) the majority here - if you can keep up with the group ahead then you are fine no matter what tee you are playing from.  I also agree (unfortunately) that most of the people that I get stuck behind play like every shot is worth $1,000,000 - and they may be playing the "correct" tee for their ability.  (Yes, Doug, this does appear to be another "slow play" thread.)

Will -
Why should a good player have to move up just because he happens to be playing with "lesser" players?  My son Kyle and I frequently play together, but he typically plays one or more tees longer than I do (I try to stay around 6000-6400 yards).  It does not slow play appreciably, if at all, because I get my club and move forward (and well out of the line of play) while he is preparing to play.

Will Peterson

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 05:32:29 PM »
Scott and Richard -

It would not matter if the group kept up, but from my experience that is the expection and not the rule.  I would also venture to say that if you are keeping up, then the tees are not the "wrong" ones for you.  Although  your score may not reflect your handicap, you were able to successfully navigate the course.  When I play practice rounds for tournaments, my father will sometimes join me (he has found it a great way to get on some clubs he would not otherwise have access) and we will play the tees that will be used in the tournament.  The course is much too long for him most of the time, with some par 4's becoming 3 shotters and woods on par 3's, but we always play in the same amount of time as we would at our home course.  He does not usually score well, but he has the game to get around from those tees, so they are not "wrong" for him.  I would imagine the case is similar with your son.

One reason for my point of view came from living in the UK.  I was usually forced to play the tee of the day, which was much shorter than I would have liked but usually in the right range for the average golfer.  I never saw a golfer that seemed completely demoralized and butally beaten like I see regularly in the US.  I think those looks are mostly attributable to  playing the wrong tees.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »
Doug Ralston,

No, it's not a slow play thread, but, it could evolve into one.

Let me phrase it another way.

If you were a guest at Augusta, would it be appropriate to play the Masters Tees irrespective of your handicap ?

Forget about one's host's wishes, is playing the Masters Tees appropriate for golfers of any handicap ?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 06:15:38 PM »
Doug Ralston,

If you were a guest at Augusta, would it be appropriate to play the Masters Tees irrespective of your handicap ?

Forget about one's host's wishes, is playing the Masters Tees appropriate for golfers of any handicap ?

Pat,

Appropiate questions. You owe it to your host that you have never played with before to inform him of your golfing ability. Playing the wrong tees can be embarasing and can make for an awkward day.

Anthony

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 06:23:16 PM »
Doug Ralston,

I would say absolutely not, unless you are capable of hitting 300+ yd. drives at will and dead straight, followed by high, soft-landing long irons.  Tom Watson said after the British that ANGC is too much for him, and I'm almost sure he's better than me...

I think that if a guest at a ANGC wanted to experience the course the way the pros do in the Masters, they'd have to move up to play something well below 7000 yds., as odd as that may sound.  From the Masters tees, the average golfer will be completely unable to interact with the architecture of the course.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 06:23:25 PM »
Doug Ralston,

Pat,

Appropiate questions. You owe it to your host that you have never played with before to inform him of your golfing ability. Playing the wrong tees can be embarasing and can make for an awkward day.

Why would that only apply when you pass through the gates of ANGC ?   ?   ?

Shouldn't that be a UNIVERSAL concern/consideration ?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 06:37:12 PM »
Doug Ralston,

Pat,

Why would that only apply when you pass through the gates of ANGC ?   ?   ?

Shouldn't that be a UNIVERSAL concern/consideration ?

YES not only Augusta but every course. The first time I plyed The Honors I told my host the tips are not for me respesctfully. He was more than happy to hear those words. We played from further up and had a very enjoyable time of golf and fellowship. IMO there is too much machismo when it comes to tee selection. As far as Augusta National who wouldn't be happy to play even  from the "ladies tees". This is a good topic. In our weekend low=ball these young kids like to play it from the back and it hurts your team's chances to finish in the money.

Anthony

C. Squier

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 06:39:55 PM »
Pat, I think ANGC is a bad example b/c the club has completely missed the boat....the back tees are too long for mortals and the "member" tees are probably too short for most.  Why they don't have something in the 6700 range is beyond me.  But I know what you're getting to, you play where your host suggests.  

However, for whatever lapse of judgement a member may have to invite me....I'll play from his divots all day if mandated  8)

Back to your original question, I think there is something to it.  Reaching a certain handicap could "allow" one to move back on the tees if they wish.  Golf is already too wrapped up in the "I paid my greens fee, I'll do whatever I damn well feel like doing" mentality that it would be difficult to start but simple to enforce.  

Whenever I see a group trotting back to the Black tees to get the "US Open" experience, I immediately turn around and head for the South course.  Just not worth the time watching someone else's misery.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »
Clint,

Agreed that technology has seemed to create two extremes with respect to the tees at ANGC.
A middle set would seem prudent.

But, the real question is, should golfers play from tees that are beyond their ability ?

AND, you have to remember, that almost all golfers overestimate their abilities. ;D

C. Squier

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »
Clint,

Agreed that technology has seemed to create two extremes with respect to the tees at ANGC.

But, the real question is, should golfers play from tees that are beyond their ability ?

AND, you have to remember, that almost all golfers overestimate their abilities. ;D

One of my tricks is to play a "members" set.  If I have guests out that want to bit off more than they can chew, a mix of the blue/white tees is just perfect.  I can avoid a death march by choosing the whites on the tough par 4's and the guests can tell their friends they played the blues.  Win-win situation.  Plus, nobody gives a darn if they can't post the score anyway.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 07:33:25 PM »
Clint,

One of my tricks is to play a "members" set.  If I have guests out that want to bit off more than they can chew, a mix of the blue/white tees is just perfect.  I can avoid a death march by choosing the whites on the tough par 4's and the guests can tell their friends they played the blues.  Win-win situation.  Plus, nobody gives a darn if they can't post the score anyway.

More and more courses are doing this, and it is a great idea.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Carl Rogers

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »
I think it is interesting to play a round by mixing up the tees ... 6 holes from the forward tees, 6 holes from the middle tees and 6 all the way back.  You might see the course in a very different way.

or alternate between 2 sets of tees from hole to hole

a whole round from the back tees is fairly pointless for me

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back