News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Pozaric

Input Wanted on Bentgrass Varieties
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
Looking for some advice and input regarding bentgrass varieties.  We are planning to gass (with methyl bromide) and regrass our greens next year and are considering using one of the following:

A1;
A4;
A1/A4 mix;
T-1; or

Most of the courses around us in St. Louis are using A4, but there are a couple that have gone with T-1.  We are experimenting with different varieties on some of our practice holes and in the nursury to see how they work out. I just wanted to see what the collective wisdom of the board is on the subject.

Thanks.

Steve
Steve Pozaric

Norbert P

Re: Input Wanted on Bentgrass Varieties
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:22:34 PM »

. . . I just wanted to see what the collective wisdom of the board is on the subject.

I assume you were snickering when your typed this.

(Sorry that I didn't answer your question but using as a bump to avoid getting buried. (Nysse, Mahaffey, Wilbur, et al, are probably still at work))

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:32:33 PM »
Hazeltine is undertaking the same project next year.  You may want to check with Jim Nichol to find out what they are using. 

Also, I think Butler National gassed and regrassed a few years ago.

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:36:06 PM »
Hazeltine is undertaking the same project next year.  You may want to check with Jim Nichol to find out what they are using. 

Also, I think Butler National gassed and regrassed a few years ago.

Prairie Dunes did as well...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:51:32 PM »
I spoke with Stan at PD recently about their grass choice.  Since some NTEP trials label the "A's" as most poa resistant, his members wanted to go with those.

If its any help, in Topeka we are seeding with a more moderate maintenance L93, based on success of other supers in the area. We also considered T-1/007, LS44/L96 a few other choices.  There are so many choices now, it really depends on what is important to you.  And, most choices result in variations so minor that most of your members won't really know the difference without you telling them. 

But, the discussions can go on for weeks, months and years.  I mean really, I hear more discussion on grass varieties at the country club now than I ever heard back in my college dorm days.  ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:41:38 PM »

. . . I just wanted to see what the collective wisdom of the board is on the subject.

I assume you were snickering when your typed this.

No sniggering, I guess I am too used to speaking like a lawyer!  Thanks for the bump.
Steve Pozaric

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 08:45:38 PM »
I spoke with Stan at PD recently about their grass choice.  Since some NTEP trials label the "A's" as most poa resistant, his members wanted to go with those.

If its any help, in Topeka we are seeding with a more moderate maintenance L93, based on success of other supers in the area. We also considered T-1/007, LS44/L96 a few other choices.  There are so many choices now, it really depends on what is important to you.  And, most choices result in variations so minor that most of your members won't really know the difference without you telling them. 

But, the discussions can go on for weeks, months and years.  I mean really, I hear more discussion on grass varieties at the country club now than I ever heard back in my college dorm days.  ;)

Jeff:

Thanks for the input.  Many of the private courses have gassed and regrassed and most stripped the greens and went A4.  One went T1, but kept the thatch, or at least some of it.  They have had some problems filling in problem areas and have tried to include some A4 mixed with the T1 to fill in.  That in and of itself would make me somewhat cautious (we will be stripping our greens, however).  I wasn't sure if the mixes how you could be consistent (not that I could ever tell), but it would seem you might have variations from green to green as the mix could never be completely the same.  Until our Greens meeting, I hadn't heard of 007 before.
Steve Pozaric

Bryan Bergner

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:17:27 PM »
Steve

We gassed and regrassed with A-1 last year.  The greens were gassed the 1st week of Aug. 2008 and the last green was seeded on Sept. 11th.  We had a pretty short window (reopened May 29th 2009) but the greens turned out excellent and remain so today.  So far so good with A-1. The key with any grass you go with is to manage it properly.  The book Creeping Bentgrass Management by Dr. Dernoden is an excellent source.

Assistant Supt.
Westmoor Country Club
Brookfield, WI

Randy Thompson

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 01:03:11 AM »
Steve,
We are using A1-A4 mix and have been for the past couple of years. Not sure where your located but all the greens where we have used this mix are in excellent shape. You gotta abuse them with consistent verticutting and light topdressing and maintain an eighth or lower but if these practices are incorporated you can create some pool table quality greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back