News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Scottish courses you haven't heard of
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:13:54 AM »
Here are two that you really should try out sometime:

1. Forfar - http://www.forfargolfclub.com/gallery.php ...  Rumpled fairways on an inland site... Some wonderful holes... No one plays this one - it can even be considered a 'hidden gem' to the Scots, let alone the rest of the world

2. Blairgowrie 'Wee' course - 2,327 yards par-32 ... 9 holes designed by MacKenzie and hardly touched since... There are 4 or 5 outstanding holes here with design features that rarely get a look in these days... plus you'll shoot round it in an hour... If you're playing Rosemount make sure you get this in too... If not, just stop off for lunch and a few holes on your way from Gleneagles to Carnoustie...

Niall C

Re: Scottish courses you haven't heard of
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:53:24 PM »
Yesterday I played Duff House Royal which hardly comes into the category of a course that you've never heard of as it was substantially redesigned by MacKenzie. What makes it so remarkable is the greens which by the standards of the day were big. The greens just blend in so well to the surrounds and have big borrows round the edges and more subtle ones internally, just a joy to play.

Mackenzie did his thing in 1923. Just a year later Elgin GC extended to 18 holes and and got a complete work over. Clearly they were greatly influenced by Duff House Royal however the greens don't quite have the same subtedly but are huge fun none the less.

For anyone coming over to play Castle Stuart, I suggest that you pay Elgin a visit. Not great but something different from the run of the mill.

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »
Here are two that you really should try out sometime:

1. Forfar - http://www.forfargolfclub.com/gallery.php ...  Rumpled fairways on an inland site... Some wonderful holes... No one plays this one - it can even be considered a 'hidden gem' to the Scots, let alone the rest of the world

Well Ally , I have mentioned it enough times on here ...... but then again who listens to me  ???

BTW , while I am being pedantic , Forfars fairways are more Rig and Furrow , rather then "rumpled" .

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:56:21 PM »
Ally,

I thought the Wee Course was designed by James Braid.   See http://www.theblairgowriegolfclub.co.uk/history.php

I was just there last month and took some pics, will review to see if they're suitable for a post.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
Niall
I agree on Elgin , a heathland course that is much over looked on here .

Always enjoyed the 18th , with a fun green played out in front of clubhouse .

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 05:00:36 AM »

I've played Forfar a number of times, most recently in the Scottish Senior Amateur tournament 4-5 years ago.  There were 119 Scots and me there there at that time, so it was not completely hidden.... ;)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 06:13:21 AM »
Ally,

I thought the Wee Course was designed by James Braid.   See http://www.theblairgowriegolfclub.co.uk/history.php

I was just there last month and took some pics, will review to see if they're suitable for a post.

Eric,

Thanks for that. I had always been led to believe that the majority of the wee course was leftover holes from the original MacKenzie Lansdowne course. But I have never looked in to it and unless the club website is wrong (which is of course possible), then it appears you are right. Note there is nothing mentioned in Braid's report about a new nine hole course though...

Rich,

As I'm sure you well know, I was just trying to build Forfar up for those who know their second tier courses but nothing beyond... Brian, you obviously think it worthwhile... Rich, would you agree?... You both have more recent knowledge than I

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 06:37:38 AM »
Ally

I fully agree that Forfar is very much worth playing.  If it were in the heathlands of England it would be considered a gem, but unhidden, as it would have nowhere to hide.......

Rich

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 07:29:43 AM »
Ally

The Blairgowrie Course known as the Wee Course was on Dowager Marchioness Lansdowne Estate. The land was leased to the club (Feb 1889) by the offices of Major Chalmers (club founder) and the designer of the original 9 holes.

Old Tom was requested to attend (which he did on the 18th May 1889) modified the new course for the full opening later that summer and was paid his £1 fee. He returned and was involved with the formal opening of the course.

In 1914 Mackenzie was asked to design an 18 hole course, but his cost for the work being around £900 was too expensive for the club. In 1923 Mackenzie was again asked for a 18 hole course which he did and was opened in 1927. This course was not well likes by the Members who in the same year purchased more land and asked James Braid for another new 18 hole course which incorporated some of the Mackenzie course. Braid also modified the Chalmers/Morris course into a relief course of 9 holes

Braids Rosemount Course was modified by Thomas & Alliss around the late 1970’s when they designed a new 18 hole course called the Lansdowne.

The map is from 1892 of the Chalmers/Morris course, for those that are interested. Further information is available from the archives of the local newspapers.

Melvyn

PS Old Tom's statement was made at the first match later in the year when the course opened and not on the 18th of May 1889.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:35:23 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 08:24:28 AM »

What about

Killin Golf Course  Perthshire   West end of Loch Tay (9 hole course)
Web site http://www.killingolfclub.co.uk/
History incorrect club is older than is states.

Bridge of Allan Golf course Bridge OF Allan  Stirlingshire (between Glasgow & Edinburgh)
Web site http://www.bofagc.co.uk/

And perhaps

Newtonmore Golf Course Newtonmore, Inverness-shire (Nr Lock Ness)
Web site http://www.newtonmoregolf.com/

Although known in Scotland

Melvyn

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
Reay? Bonar Bridge? Helmsdale?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 09:10:18 AM »
Taking this to the next logical step the question is now - Scottish courses I wish I had never heard of

Castle Course St Andrews  ;)

Melvyn

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 09:57:08 AM »
Thanks Melvyn... I stand corrected...

However, MacKenzie or not, the wee course is a bit of a gem and undoubtedly has some features that are rarely seen these days...

As for the Rosemount, that was severely compromised by the new Alliss / Thomas Lansdowne course when 2 holes from the Rosemount were taken by that course (as their 1st and 18th) and two poor farmland holes were created to replace them... There's another thread I had on here trying to work out those changes (from about 2006)

Brian Phillips

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »
Ally,
One of my best friends who used to be a teaching pro at Downfield said that all the bunkers have been redone at Rosemount.  He thought a really good job had been done, is this true and do you know who by?
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 11:59:58 AM »
Ballachulish House? Resipole? Spean Bridge?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 01:08:06 PM »
Ally,
One of my best friends who used to be a teaching pro at Downfield said that all the bunkers have been redone at Rosemount.  He thought a really good job had been done, is this true and do you know who by?

Hi Brian,

I've no idea I'm afraid... I was there in February but only had time to walk the wee course with my son. From a quick glance over, I noticed nothing that looked new. Before that it was 2004 and nothing had been done at that point... Not heard of anything either.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 11:07:15 PM »
Does anyone use "The Scottish golf guide". by David Hamilton? David is particularly fond of obscure courses.
There is supposed to be a new edition out, that I can't seem to find, and it includes some interesting lists
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:12:35 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Rich Goodale

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 12:02:36 AM »
In terms of two of the ones mentioned above that I have seen but not played, I would very much like to play Killin but would not be particularly interested in Ballachulish.

Niall C

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 09:55:35 AM »
Does anyone use "The Scottish golf guide". by David Hamilton? David is particularly fond of obscure courses.
There is supposed to be a new edition out, that I can't seem to find, and it includes some interesting lists

Ralph

Golf World used to publish the top 1000 courses in the UK, sectioning them into regions. Each course gets a a rating out of 5, the club details are included and actual players comments used (don't know where they get them from mind you ! but they give both views for and views against).

I find this the best guide, as if the course doesn't get in this list then you know its probably not worth the walk. I've found it very good and usually provides a fairly good description of the course. The last edition was about 4 or 5 years ago so Amazon or second hand might be your best bet of getting it.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 10:59:08 AM »
Rich G. -

Why no interest in Ballachulish House?

DT

David Mihm

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 11:03:07 AM »
Have people heard of or played Stonehaven?  I passed it on the rail from Aberdeen to Carnoustie last time I was in Scotland, and while it didn't look like a "great" course, some of the cliff-top shots looked like they might rival Kidnappers / Old Head, etc.  Definitely wanted to jump out of the train for a quick nine at least just out of curiosity...

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 11:38:59 AM »
Have people heard of or played Stonehaven?  I passed it on the rail from Aberdeen to Carnoustie last time I was in Scotland, and while it didn't look like a "great" course, some of the cliff-top shots looked like they might rival Kidnappers / Old Head, etc.  Definitely wanted to jump out of the train for a quick nine at least just out of curiosity...

Hi David,

Brian Ewen of this thread is a member at Stonehaven I believe. You are pretty much right in that it has some spectacular shots on a rather unspectacular, short course. There's been quite a bit of conversation on this forum about Stonehaven

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 11:48:13 AM »
Definitely wanted to jump out of the train for a quick nine at least just out of curiosity...

David
Its not so easy nowadays , with these modern trains   ;)

Phil McDade

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 11:52:21 AM »
Have people heard of or played Stonehaven?  I passed it on the rail from Aberdeen to Carnoustie last time I was in Scotland, and while it didn't look like a "great" course, some of the cliff-top shots looked like they might rival Kidnappers / Old Head, etc.  Definitely wanted to jump out of the train for a quick nine at least just out of curiosity...

David:

Stonehaven is great fun -- don't let anyone tell you it's not worth playing. It's set on something like 65 acres, is really compact, and has several criss-crossing holes. The slant of some of the fairways is remarkable, and there are a number of absolutely first-rate par 3s there along the cliff edges and across deep ravines. The first hole and tee shot reminds me (because of the on-going thread) of Royal Aberdeen's first hole -- a straightaway tee shot toward the North Sea, with a green perched near the cliff's edge. (The 1st hole also is home to Hitler's Bunker, a depression alongside the fairway resulting from dropped arsenal from a Luftwaffe plane being chased off by the RAF during the Great War.) There is a rather placid, meadow-like stretch of four holes on the other side of the tracks that is wholly different than the part of the course that winds around the clifftops. What's pretty neat is that a few holes and tees -- Jake's View is one -- sit right next to the commuter line you traveled on, and those little train cars just come zipping by with little notice. Full of quirk; a few here have compared it to clown's mouth golf, but those are glass-half-empty folks who turn down lemonade. It's a blast to play, and a neat old clubhouse to boot.

As long as we're in the region, anyone play the links at Arbroath just down the road? It's in the shadow of the Carnoustie/Panmure links, but I've heard it has some interest.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:54:45 AM by Phil McDade »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »
Rich G. -

Why no interest in Ballachulish House?

DT

Ballachulish House is a fine country house hotel with a fine restaurant (or so I'm told), but the nearby golf course (Dragon's Tooth) looks like a pleasant parkland 9-holer suited for the holiday golfer and not much more.  Feel free to play it and prove me wrong!  Killin, on the other hand looks like a proper golf course and friends who have played it agree.

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back