News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Your favorite clubhouses in the British Isles
« on: September 23, 2009, 06:26:54 PM »
From what I can tell, so many of the clubhouses in Scotland, England and Ireland ooze with character and history. Some could charge for admission just to see some of the artifacts on display inside! I could see myself getting lost in the atmosphere at Prestwick for an afternoon. What are some of your favorites and why? How would you compare the clubhouse experiences there compared to here? If there is a measurable difference, which do you prefer generally speaking?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Phil_the_Author

Re: Your favorite clubhouses in the British Isles
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »
I absolutely love the Thistle club house.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »
Panmure.

Peaceful, you can almost see Hogan preparing for the 53 Open when you walk in the locker room

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
Woking, New Zealand and Swinley for their old world charm, but not snooty.

Sandwich for its boards and silver beer tankards.

N Berwick for its upstairs.

Prestwick for its long table and great mix of old and new.

Hoylake - just because its a pile - our little gin palace.

Aberdeen for its proximity to the 1st tee and gentlemanly presence.

Plus, all of these buildings have great exteriors.

Ciao
Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 08:14:11 PM »
I was only able to peek in through the windows, but the R&A have some pretty nice digs in St. Andrews.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:45:03 PM »
Royal Porthcawl was my favorite in Wales.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:49:06 PM »
From what I can tell, so many of the clubhouses in Scotland, England and Ireland ooze with character and history. Some could charge for admission just to see some of the artifacts on display inside! I could see myself getting lost in the atmosphere at Prestwick for an afternoon. What are some of your favorites and why? How would you compare the clubhouse experiences there compared to here? If there is a measurable difference, which do you prefer generally speaking?

First, on Preswick.  It did little for me.  The pro shop was fine.  The doorman was stuffy.  Apparently the downstairs dining room is for members in coat and tie, so we did not make it in there.  We did have lunch after our round in the Cardinal Room, upstairs, which was a casual coffee-shop-type of room, with excellent service.  Our group of four and two members were eating there at that time.  So, maybe we needed a member to take us under his (her? probably not, but who knows) wing and show us around.

Muirfield.  Best shower stalls I've experienced in Britain.  For the rest of the clubhouse, can't say much.  Again, visitors are really limited as to what they can see and the staff is very stuffy.

Royal Troon.  Again, visitors can't see much.  In fact, members are not allowed to socialize with visitors (vs. guests) in the clubhouse.  Under certain conditions we could have visited their treasure room, but passed.

Crail.  Unpretentious and very friendly.  I could be a member there, if they'd have me.  I think I read they were going to build a new club house.  Hope they don't get too fancy.

Dunbar.  Nice casual dining room for visitors, but visitors are restricted from other areas.

Does anyone else have a problem with a jumping screen when posting on this site, or is it just me?

David Kelly

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:02:39 PM »

Muirfield.  Best shower stalls I've experienced in Britain.  For the rest of the clubhouse, can't say much.  Again, visitors are really limited as to what they can see and the staff is very stuffy.

I was there a few weeks ago and after lunch a very nice staff member gave us a complete tour of the entire clubhouse, including the rooms that are for members only.   

Crail.  Unpretentious and very friendly.  I could be a member there, if they'd have me.  I think I read they were going to build a new club house.  Hope they don't get too fancy.

Apparently they will have you.  You can become a lifetime overseas member for a one-time fee of around $4000.  The fee, "will entitle overseas members to eight rounds of golf every year in perpetuity."   
http://golftourismscotland.blogspot.com/2008/12/crail-offer-overseas-life-membership.html

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Shane Wright

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:33:27 PM »
I just keep coming back to Waterville...I know there are probably so many others, but the setting on the Ring of Kerry, the proximity of the bar/restaurant to the course, panoramic windows, locker room, bathrooms, proximity of the putting green, feeling of peacefulness....it just doesn't get better in my mind. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 03:13:47 AM »
Royal Porthcawl was my favorite in Wales.

Wayne

For it's "rugged beauty" ? I loved the dormie experience at Porthcawl

Muirfield is definitely one of my favourites - it is a great backdrop as is TOC and North Berwick but probably my favourite is Sunningdale. The old world charm and Bobby Jone's pic and scorecard overlooking the 18th....

Gary Slatter

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 09:49:03 AM »
There are so many it's difficult to decide on just a few - although most are completely great male experiences!
Panmure: because the exterior is so spectacular and the locker rooms are so turn of the century and perfect
Muirfiield: because of the whole experience
Prestwick: because of the history on the walls and the good experience for visitors
Fairmont: great view, left to the Old, across towards Carnoustie, surrounded by Torrance, Kittocks and Castle
and one of the best, Royal Aberdeen. Nothing can beat the view as you walk into the visitors "lounge", the windows appear to be giant screen tvs with golfers teeing off within feet of the glass. 18 great holes, 12 of which are perfect.
Kingsbarns has a good view from upstairs locker area,
Royal Burgess was this week's surprise find, possibly the best men's locker room ever!   The upper open area with the lockers is really good, I have never seen anything quite like it. Even has a few "dirty" bars where gentlemen without jacket and tie can have a few. Burgess also has the most half par holes which I enjoyed, including the 18th stroke hole, #18, 247 yard par 3 and a hole that could/should be on every course.  Although they don't look alike I thought it similar to Tom Doak's second at Renaissance Club.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

C. Sturges

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 11:49:18 AM »
I enjoyed Ganton.  The rich history, a cozy bar, and a four course meal with great company.  The after dinner Stillton was also very good, but the best part was going out for more golf!
I also really enjoyed the hospitality at Rye, the members that I played with stopped for drinks and a snack at the turn before we headed on for the back 9.  We then stopped again before heading out to play the small course as they called it.
Great times,
Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back