News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: Suggestion to improve Pine Valley
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 10:04:08 AM »
Great pic Charlie.  While not as attractive as the real deal with the crossing fairway in the background, your photo does remind me that it's what's on/in the ground that's the main thing.  Most, if not all of us, would rave about your photograph but for the point of reference provided by the genuine article. 

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »
Charlie,

Awesome stuff...I'm assuming the tree planting work at Ballyneal will commence next spring!!   ;D

archie_struthers

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 11:11:18 AM »
 :D ;D ;)

Too funny ...but Pine Valley , while strikingly beautiful has a tendency to grow on you!  At first blush it's pretty hard to take in all the subtleties and diabolical machinations of the greens.....or just how hard it is to keep hitting solid tee shots down the middle

I remember caddying for Jay Sigel in the club championship one year , 36 holes stroke play . for 27 holes he really didn't miss a shot , just playing hole after hole with that wonderfully repetitious swing ......then someone mentioned that if he just played the last nine holes in even par he would break the championship record ...oops ....over that nine holes he couldn't find the fairway , and  although he won the championship probably wanted to strangle the playing partner who mentioned the record.  

Jay shortly after this tunred 50 and  has enjoyed a nice senior tour career  ....

This story is redundant but outlines the fascinating nature of Pine Valley ...it bends but doesn't break ....as their are multiple hazrds intricacies that challenge even the best players .....yet it offers the average player a real chance to play some good holes , make pars and the occasional birdie ...

it often takes time to appreciate just how good it really is !  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 12:04:16 PM by archie_struthers »

archie_struthers

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 11:32:03 AM »
 8) ;D :D ;)

While we're talking PV ,  here's a story similar to that of our poster.  

Dave Thomas , who founded Wendy's , the hamburger chain, on his first visit to the "Valley" had similar feeliings

I knew Mr Thomas  from my days working at his Florida club Adios, in Coconut Creek , and I hadn't  noticed  he was on the tee sheet that day....however when he got done playing I was out talking to Frank Barrett , the caddymaster when he left the 18th gree, obviously laboring and quite exasperated.. walking over to greet him , he waved me over to the bench in front of the clubhouse , and I ran inside to get him a big glass of water... it was quite hot that day .

"Archie" , he says, can we talk.  Sure , I answer, are you having a good time?  Well , truthfully I don't get it , this place is pretty nice but can we talk confidentially .  He then relates to me that he couldn't get a cart, shot about a hundred and fifty , and was I aware that the showers were communal in his less than five star "suite"  ....lol  

I couldn't help but chuckle , as Dave was a little overweight , and he really couldn't play too well but was just great (generous) to all , particularly me in my capacity at Adios.  All in all , Pine Valley wouldn't be my first choice for a golf trip for him...he was more of a Maui Westin kind of guy.  

We sat and laughed together as he said he was too damn fat for his bed , which was hard a s a rock and room service wasn't even available if needed.  He did opine that the food was very good, but he was so tired and hungry after trudging all thru the God forsaken "Hell's Hal Acre" or whatever they called that wasteland on seven that even McDonalds's would have been fabulous.  LOL.  

I grabbed one of the service carts and  gave him a ride up to the dormitory , the cottages weren't built yet .... he was so thankful not to have to walk up the hill that runs from the clubhouse to the dorms... I then told him I had to get back to work  how nice it was to see him again ...he laughed and politely suggested he wouldn't be back and that he hoped to see me in Florida that winter.....

he was a really good guy , and loved golf ,  but !!   

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:43:30 AM by archie_struthers »

Doug Wright

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
:D ;D ;)

Too funny ...but Pine Valley , while strikingly beautiful has a tendency to grow on you!  At first blush it's pretty hard to take in all the subtleties and diabolical machinations of the greens.....or just how hard it is to keep hitting solid tee shots down the middle

This story is redundant but outlines the fascinating nature of Pine Valley ...it bends but doesn't break ....as their are multiple hazrds intricacies that challenge even the best players .....yet it offers the average player a real chance ot play some good holes , make pars and the occasional birdie

it often takes time to appreciate just how good it really is ! 

Archie, this is as good a description of Pine Valley as I've seen....
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jim Colton

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 11:42:05 AM »
I give you Pine Bally:

Charlie,

Can you put a mock Golfweek cover on that?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »
I live in a small community on the western tip of Ky.  We don't have any great golf courses and I don't know anyone in this area who travels for golf to anywhere besides Myrtle Beach or Gulf Shores.  So imagine my suprise when I see someone sporting a Pine Valley shirt. 

I say something about the shirt and he said that he got to play there in July.  When I asked how he liked it his reply:
"Its a tough SOB; but I thought it was way overrated.  You have to walk.  I don't even think they had cart paths."

I've never heard that as a negative at PV, but I guess Tom Paul's "Big World Theory" lives on.

I thought carts were allowed, but, discouraged or selectively in use.

I know that they're allowed on the short course.

What's the fellow's handicap and what tees did he play from ?

Often, guests bite off more than they can chew.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 06:20:02 PM »
Reminds me of a story from Eric Peveto.  Eric was selling our golf course to prospective members.  Got a guy that said, "Why did they put the damn bunkers exactly where I'd hit my drive?"

Keep in mind that Brittney Spears sells more albums than Mozart.

Sean Leary

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 06:26:32 PM »
I live in a small community on the western tip of Ky.  We don't have any great golf courses and I don't know anyone in this area who travels for golf to anywhere besides Myrtle Beach or Gulf Shores.  So imagine my suprise when I see someone sporting a Pine Valley shirt. 

I say something about the shirt and he said that he got to play there in July.  When I asked how he liked it his reply:
"Its a tough SOB; but I thought it was way overrated.  You have to walk.  I don't even think they had cart paths."

I've never heard that as a negative at PV, but I guess Tom Paul's "Big World Theory" lives on.

I thought carts were allowed, but, discouraged or selectively in use.

I know that they're allowed on the short course.

What's the fellow's handicap and what tees did he play from ?

Often, guests bite off more than they can chew.

The Short Course in a cart for an afternoon was one of the best times I have had playing golf. Just needed more beer....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back