News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Debate the analogy
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »
Cart golf is to golf like wheel chair basketball is to basketball.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Roger Wolfe

Re: Debate the analogy
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:28:53 PM »
Can we please give this a rest?  My grandfather cannot play basketball... but he can play golf in a cart.  Enough already.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 03:47:52 PM »
Bayley G. -

Sorry, but that analogy is utter nonsense.

DT

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 03:48:16 PM »
Can we please give this a rest?  My grandfather cannot play basketball... but he can play golf in a cart.  Enough already.

Did you mean to say your grandfather cannot play wheel chair basketball, but he can play cart golf?
If not, then I don't see the use of the post.
If so, then why can't he play wheel chair basketball?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »
Bayley G. -

Sorry, but that analogy is utter nonsense.

DT

Sorry, but your response is disqualified.
Try again.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 03:55:05 PM »
Not even remotely worth a discussion.  Terrible analogy.

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 03:57:24 PM »
how about:
carts are to golf as rubbers are to....

often a necessary evil.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »
Not even remotely worth a discussion.  Terrible analogy.

OK, I'll bite. Why?

And clearly the cheater line is illegal!
;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 04:16:02 PM »
how about:
carts are to golf as rubbers are to....

often a necessary evil.

Good point. Carts are to golf as wheel chairs are to basketball. Often a necessary evil.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 04:17:16 PM »
Talk about your logical fallacies..   ;D

http://onegoodmove.org/fallacy/falsean.htm

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 04:20:52 PM »
Talk about your logical fallacies..   ;D

Come on Kalen, What's P?
It's certainly not wheeled locomotion.

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 05:06:29 PM »

Pointless, stupid, and everything that is wrong with GCA in one post.

Congrats!  ::)
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 05:16:43 PM »
Talk about your logical fallacies..   ;D

Come on Kalen, What's P?
It's certainly not wheeled locomotion.

Garland,

I'll give you a bit more to help you out a bit:

False Analogy.

Description:
An analogy is a partial similarity between the like features of two things or events on which a comparison can be made.
A false analogy involves comparing two things that are NOT similar.
Note that the two things may be similar in superficial ways, but not with respect to what is being argued.

Going back to the 1st link I posted....

P is the act of sitting on your behind...they are the same property.

The reason why the analogy fails is:
In golf, you take the shot standing.  You hit the ball standing.  You strike the putt standing.  You chip the ball while standing. All of these are done normally regardless of how one arrives at the ball.  All are done in the exact manner of the normal implementation of the game.

In wheelchair basketball however, every activity is done while sitting. You shoot the ball while sitting, rebound while sitting, dribble while sitting, pursue loose balls while sitting, pass while sitting.  None of these are done in the same manner in which the normal implementation of the game is played.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 05:25:33 PM by Kalen Braley »

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 05:19:55 PM »
Kalen B. -

Thank you for taking the time to place Bayley's original post in its proper perspective.

DT

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 05:20:45 PM »

Pointless, stupid, and everything that is wrong with GCA in one post.

Congrats!  ::)

Well Pat,

I see you have found the thread where I am trying to be a purist. And, I see you provide your usual highly informative post to the discussion. :P

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »
In golf, you take the shot standing.  You hit the ball standing.  You strike the putt standing.  You chip the ball while standing. All of these are done normally regardless of how one arrives at the ball.  All are done in the exact manner of the normal implementation of the game.

In wheelchair basketball however, every activity is done while sitting. You shoot the ball while sitting, rebound while sitting, dribble while sitting, pass while sitting.  None of these are done in the same manner in which the normal implementation of the game is played.

But Kalen, many of the handicapped that are forced into a cart situation have no other way to hit the ball than by sitting. Just like the handicapped that play wheel chair basketball, they cannot stand to shoot like it is normally done in basketball.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 05:27:18 PM »
Kalen B. -

Thank you for taking the time to place Bayley's original post in its proper perspective.

DT

And what perspective would that be? That handicapped people play golf in a cart and basketball in a wheel chair?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 05:32:31 PM »

In wheelchair basketball however, every activity is done while sitting. You shoot the ball while sitting, rebound while sitting, dribble while sitting, pass while sitting.  None of these are done in the same manner in which the normal implementation of the game is played.

But Kalen, many of the handicapped that are forced into a cart situation have no other way to hit the ball than by sitting. Just like the handicapped that play wheel chair basketball, they cannot stand to shoot like it is normally done in basketball.

And ur point is?

Are you suggesting riding between shots is the same as playing all your golf shots while seated in the cart?

Surely you jest....

P.S.  So far the count is Garland 0 , Everyone Else 6 when it comes to this analogy being applicable.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 05:36:08 PM by Kalen Braley »

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »
Bayley -

What percentage of the people who ride a cart and play golf on any given day are handicapped to the extent that they must play all they shots sitting in a cart - 1.0%?, 0.10%?, 0.01%? The percentage is likely so small it is de minimus.

If the intent of your original post was to compare wheel chair basketball players to people who can only play golf sitting in or on a golf cart, you should have stated so in your original post.  

DT  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 05:50:29 PM »
Are you suggesting riding between shots is the same as playing all your golf shots while seated in the cart?

Of course not, take the time to match up the aspect of the two instead of throwing in this apples to oranges stuff.

A very old man can play basketball without a wheel chair.
That same very old man undoubtedly could play some golf without a cart.

In either case, the playing would be easier in the wheeled locomotion. So riding between shots is analogous.

As far as what I was suggesting is concerned, I was suggesting you had failed to find a suitable P.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »
Bayley -

What percentage of the people who ride a cart and play golf on any given day are handicapped to the extent that they must play all they shots sitting in a cart - 1.0%?, 0.10%?, 0.01%? The percentage is likely so small it is de minimus.

If the intent of your original post was to compare wheel chair basketball players to people who can only play golf sitting in or on a golf cart, you should have stated so in your original post.  

DT  

If you want to debate the analogy, then please state clearly where the analogy falls down instead of asking my intention. I am interested in where it falls down as well as where it succeeds.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 06:00:48 PM »
The analogy fails on so many levels, it's not worth going through them.  Most importnantly, it's offensive...period.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 06:08:12 PM »
Bayley -

DT  

If you want to debate the analogy, then please state clearly where the analogy falls down instead of asking my intention. I am interested in where it falls down as well as where it succeeds.

Garland,

This fits almost perfect to the post I made in George's thread.

You asked the question, you got your answer, from multiple people no less, you don't like the answers, so you choose to continue on anyways!!

Well you know what happens next don't you?  Mike W is indeed right as its not worth wasting any more of my time on it!  Good luck.  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »
The analogy fails on so many levels, it's not worth going through them.  Most importnantly, it's offensive...period.

Why is it offensive?
Was I wrong to play wheel chair basketball in the past? Do I offend you when I play wheel chair basketball?

Kalen took a stab at showing the failure using the formal definition of failed analogy. I think the jury is still out on his success.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 06:14:16 PM »
Pointless, stupid, and everything that is wrong with GCA in one post = Pat Craig  Congrats ::)

Yes I might agree with that. Well done Pat, do you also talk to yourself? ;)

Melvyn
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 06:18:28 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back