News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Lodging near N. Berwick --semi OT
« on: September 20, 2009, 03:14:47 PM »
Heading with my family to Scotland next summer and will be playing Muirfield and N. Berwick on one leg of our trip.  My wife, son and daughter will be travelling with me and I am looking for suggestions for accomodations near N. Berwick/Muirfield...thanks for the help.

Bart

Michael Robin

Re: Lodging near N. Berwick --semi OT
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »
The Macdonald Marine hotel I think it's called. Didn't stay there, but had breakfast and it seemed really nice and overlooks the 16th and 3rd holes at N. Berwick

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »
3 years ago we rented a flat in Market Square from

http://www.nbflats.co.uk/

Service was good.  N Berwick is a great place to stay. Coastal walks and half hour train ride to centee of Edinburgh.

Enjoy your trip.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:52:55 PM »
Glebe House is very good, a Georgian house close to everything in North Berwick.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 03:42:28 AM »
I am typing this from the MacDonald Marine Hotel in North Berwick.  It is quite nice and has the amenities of a larger hotel such as pool, spa, exercise facilities, etc. which may be important to the rest of the family.  It is probably the largest hotel in the North Berwick area with the best amenities - I think I am paying around US$130/night for a smallish room for one which wouldn't likely work for you.  And as Michael said it overlooks the links, so you can't get much better than that.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 03:48:07 AM »
I'd suggest Faussetthill House in Gullane.  It's a B&B and reasonably priced with enough rooms to accommodate your family.  It's literally around the corner from Muirfield and a short drive to NB.

Mitchell Schneringer

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:02:14 AM »
I caution you against B&B's.  Although quaint can be good, it can also be terrible.  On my trip to Scotland last August we had booked ourselves into 3 B&B's throughout Scotland during our travels.  We were very fortunate to stay in the Savock house (Aberdeen), and we were treated like royalty by owners (it was spectacular)!  On the contrary, we were very unlucky in St. Andrews (after seeing the rooms and meeting the owner we bolted out the door) and again disappointed near Muirfield (we had to stay there as we'd paid a large deposit upfront as it was during the Edinburgh festival so we had no choice to leave).  Do you research if you plan on any B&B's.  

For NB, like many others I recommend the Marine Hotel.  You won't run the risk of dealing with an overprotective B&B owner.  There are MANY great B&B's out there which offer awesome experiences, the problem is that it's very hard to know upfront while hotels are more consistent in their service and room quality.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:04:18 AM by Mitchell Schneringer »

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 08:56:11 AM »
Glebe House is very good, a Georgian house close to everything in North Berwick.

If you like quality antiques and Georgian appointments, Glebe House is fantastic.  As long as you and the wife get the main bedroom with ensuite, and the kids get the room with two single beds.  It is completely different to a Hotel stay, and to a B&B.  It is in Finegan's 'Where Golf is Great'.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David Mulle

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
I stayed at the Blenhiem House which is near the first hole at North Berwick.  The accomodations were somewhat shabby but the customer service was out of this world.  My clubs got lost in transit from NY and as I was describing this to one of my fellow travelers over breakfast the waitress went into the back described my situation to her husband (who was the cook) and he came out and insisted that I borrow his clubs and shoes.  I was on my way to St. Andrews the next day and when my clubs had not yet arrived, he insisted that I take his clubs for the rest of the week. 

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 11:18:52 AM »
Re Mitchell's comments, I've had good success with B&B's.  Better than hotels.  In either event some research is a good idea before booking.  Try tripadvisor.com or the AA (Automobile Association) for B&B's.  There are star ratings for the B&B's that are pretty reliable - both from the AA and from the STB (Scottish Tourist Board).  Here's the AA listing for Faussetthill House

http://www.theaa.com/bed-and-breakfasts/gullane-faussetthill-house-382348

Here's another brochure from East Lothian (including a forward from Tom Doak) that lists all the courses of the area and many B&B's.  Look for the STB and AA ratings for the B&B's.

http://www.edinburgh-inspiringcapital.com/pdf/E%20Lothian%20golf%20guide%20301107%20.pdf

Mitchell Schneringer

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 08:03:35 AM »
In all fairness, it was my first and only trip to Scotland.  I had heard all the rave reviews and benefits of staying in a B&B, but no one ever warned me of the managers/owners of the B&B's.  I used the rating system (3 star and above were only selected) in my choices, but only ONE of the B&B's was a pleasurable experience. 

If every B&B were as great as the 4 star Savock House, then hotels would go out of business....but unfortunately it's the only one which we enjoyed.

On our return trip, we may try some additional B&B's---but I think I'll have a phone interview with the house managers prior to giving them any money. 

I'm not trying to give B&B's a bad name, I'm just warning people not to have high expectations for anything under 4 stars.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 10:38:56 PM »
Thank you all for the many kind suggestions...I will begin contacting the options and see what's what....

Can't wait...booked my Muirfield tee time today!   ;D

Bart

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 03:05:30 AM »
The Macdonald Marine hotel I think it's called. Didn't stay there, but had breakfast and it seemed really nice and overlooks the 16th and 3rd holes at N. Berwick

Bart

It's a good choice Michael's suggestion - it was about to be refurbished when I was there last but the views over NB are superb. A quaint old feel charm was a nice addition to the experience of NB.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »
I think that anyone travelling anywhere and staying at B&Bs or renting an apartment, should do so only after getting a recommendation from someone with similar likes and dislikes to yours.

Some years ago we rented an apartment in Paris (near the Bois) from an American owner. The location was wonderful, the building charming; the place was grubby. The faucet to the shower was faulty and I scolded my hand tuning the bloody thing on. I returned to the US and chided the agency that represented the place and advised them that they needed to check things out if they wanted to stay in business.

I agree with Mitchell, it is a roll of the dice whether you get Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm or the Bates boy.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back