News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Re: Spotty Greens at the Walker Cup?
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »
David,

While the guys on here are unarguably the second best source for explaining what you saw, clearly the best source would be someone on the greens crew at Merion, have you attempted to find out directly from them?

DMoriarty

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 04:02:54 PM »
David,

While the guys on here are unarguably the second best source for explaining what you saw, clearly the best source would be someone on the greens crew at Merion, have you attempted to find out directly from them?

Seriously?  

I would never ask an employee of Merion to discuss the course with me.  Did you not see the bizarre attempt to shut down the conversation on the other thread?   With a gag rule covering even the calendaring of basic maintenance, can you imagine the reaction of the Philadelphia Posse if some unsuspecting crew member gave me information about course.  I've no interest in getting any of Merion's staff in that sort of hot water, even if only with a few paranoid zealots.

As importantly, the information provided on this thread benefits a wider audience than just me. As I said above, I am surely not the only one who was curious about the spots.  And I can ask in public because I am not quaking in my boots for fear of undeserved reprisals.  With apologies to Kris Kristofferson, such is the freedom that accompanies having nothing to lose.  
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Ian Larson

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »
Is any information about Merions cultural practices that sacred and confidential that nobody can ever speak of it? especially something like if and when they are aerifying?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 04:28:03 PM »
Has anyone mentioned what the camera lens filters do for showing off these drainage and cultural practices?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

DMoriarty

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »
Has anyone mentioned what the camera lens filters do for showing off these drainage and cultural practices?

Joe

No.  Could you explain?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
David,
You might find an in-person chat with the head super at hour club/course to be helpful here.  These folks are scientists that are passionate about their craft, and I've always found them very happy to discuss questions like you have.

PS - I think Lynn described what you've noticed perfectly. 
PPS - Honestly, I didn't see anything out there in the spots category, and I know that I spent about 15 minutes at 12 green and about 10 minutes at 11 green without more than 5-10 other folks around.  I was actually explaining the history of Bob Jones' Grand Slam win on 11 and the amazingly cool 12th green slopes. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:09:35 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 07:52:29 AM »

Joe

No.  Could you explain?

Not with any real conviction. But, I have noticed in the past, on courses I'm familiar with, that what I saw in person vs. what I saw on TV was quite different, and I assumed it had to do with the optics of the camera. UV filters, polarizing filters, etc. may bring out detail that our naked eye can't see. Aerification holes, drain lines, etc. seem to show up more on camera, I just don't know the technical reason why.

I wear good polarizing sunglasses while fishing. The difference in what you can see in the water is amazing.

Is anyone on board here that can either confirm or debunk any effect from the lens?

Thanks,

Joe

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Scott Furlong

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2009, 08:46:32 AM »
If he is maintaining the greens on the dry and maybe lean side you are probably looking at old (spring) aerification holes or Graden lines.  They become visible under these conditions.  Basically, more oxygen is getting to those plants.  Larger spots could be the segregation of the different types of bentgrasses, someone stated they do not have a monoculture.  These patches are genetically different but are still bentgrass.  This is how new and improved types of bentgrass are developed.  Rumor has it, A-1 and A-4 where found on Augusta’s greens from segregation.   Have you ever noticed the different color patches on your bentgrass greens during late fall, winter, and early spring?  That is segregation.  Not a big deal and neither affect playability.  I’m the thread killer so I guess this topic is dead.     

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back