News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cristian

Bandon/Portland accomodation and Golf ** Advice sought
« on: September 16, 2009, 06:29:49 AM »
I am planning a trip to Bandon summer 2010. I am flying into Portland and then driving to Bandon. On our arrival day we will have time to play an extra round. Which course more or less on the route would be worthwhile? I have heard good things about Bandon Crossings, but maybe there are even better options.

On our way back we will arrive in Portland the evening before the day we fly back home. Can anyone recommend decent accomodation, perhaps better then the standard motel?

Thanks for your help!

Pete_Pittock

Re: Bandon/Portland accomodation and Golf ** Advice sought
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:30:09 AM »
Cristian,
There are a  numbe of previous theads on this topic. Once you leave the Portland metro area the choices are
Salem -Illahe Hills, Bell, private
Eugene area - Eugene CC, Jones, private, top 100
                  -Emerald Valley, publc
                 -Shadow Hills CC, private, ex Nationwide stop.
From top to bottom golf ECC, EV, IH, SH
You could also check out courses  in Florence, OR.
ots of good small boutique hotels oin downtown Portland. Fo a different experience check out McMenamin's Edgefield Manor.   

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:05:37 AM »
There is also the Oregon Golf Association members course at Woodburn. Public, I would rate above Emerald Valley 2nd in Pete's list.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 01:17:54 PM »
Christian,

A lot of people arrive and drive out to Pumpkin Ridge to play Ghost Creek - if you are interested in doing so let me know and I will try to get you a reduced rate. Ghost is one of the best publics in the state.

Of course, Ghost is NOT on the way to Bandon from the airport unless you are taking the coastal highway which is a no-no.

Garland's recos along the way are solid.

I have not played Bandon Crossings, but it is close to the resort and a supposedly a pretty good course.

Sidenote - I went down to Bandon early and just played around on the short course at the resort for a few hours - it is a great intro to links golf if you are not used to playing that type of game.

The Nines is a new swanky hotel in Portland, there is also a Marriot which is decent and a couple of hotels by the airport. Just depends on what you want to get up to before you peace out and head home. Send me a PM if you want more details based on what you are looking for.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 01:26:48 PM »
Garland's recos along the way are solid.

Actually, I only made one "reco". If you want another one from me it would be to definitely skip Shadow Hills. I didn't mention before, because Pete had it last on his list.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Rigg

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 04:11:33 PM »
Sorry - I meant Pete's recos

Who is this Garland guy anyways :)

Cristian

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 06:16:53 PM »
Rob, Pete, Garland,

Thanks! Great info, as always!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 07:58:15 PM »
GB,
I classed the OGA Course in the Portland Metro area, along with Langdon Farms. With you preferring OGA over Emerald Valley
I will again defend Kalen in the rematch. Tukwila is architectually insipid, not inspired, but he did have to deal with wetland ESAs.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 08:05:33 PM »
GB,
I classed the OGA Course in the Portland Metro area, along with Langdon Farms. With you preferring OGA over Emerald Valley
I will again defend Kalen in the rematch. Tukwila is architectually insipid, not inspired, but he did have to deal with wetland ESAs.

Look where being in Kalen's corner got you with the original match!
Emerald Valley over OGA, when will your bad choices end?

tsk tsk tsk

Langdon farms being Portland metro is borderline. Woodburn and OGA is boonies, ag workers the likes.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »
We were able to play Columbia Edgewater Country Club. A Director of Golf at a club in the east made the call. This is where the LPGA played the Safeway tournament until this year. It is tree lined and very tight. You could not get any further away from the open designs of Bandon. It made for a nice contrast.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »
GB,

Look where being in Kalen's corner got you with the original match!
Emerald Valley over OGA, when will your bad choices end?

tsk tsk tsk

Langdon farms being Portland metro is borderline. Woodburn and OGA is boonies, ag workers the likes.

I played OGA with my brother summer 2008 and have to agree (as usual) with Mr. Pittock.  I thought OGA was bland and had one incomprehensible par 5, where Emerald Valley is one stout hole after another.  It could certainly use some chain saw work but overall, it's a very good course.

I would like to have been able to play Egan's Eugene Country Club before RTJ turned it around.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 10:02:50 PM »
We were able to play Columbia Edgewater Country Club. A Director of Golf at a club in the east made the call. This is where the LPGA played the Safeway tournament until this year. It is tree lined and very tight. You could not get any further away from the open designs of Bandon. It made for a nice contrast.

Jeff, how'd you like those greens?

The course is indeed tree lined, and those 150' sequoias are impressive, but the corridors are plenty wide. Some serious management is required.   The club does a good job of undercutting the trees so you usually have a play back into the fairway, unlike many tree-lined courses where there is no play.

I was a non-resident member at CECC until last summer when I made the fatal mistake of calculating my average cost per round.  I'm glad to hear you were able to play.  The staff there is terrific and it's a friendly club.

Damon Groves

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 10:32:40 PM »
I was in Bandon in May and the first day played Old Mac 10 hole preview, 18 on Pacific and then 18 at Bandon Crossings which of course you can take a golf cart. It worked out great and Bandon Crossings is a nice course. The first few and last couple of holes are less interesting but the interior holes were very nice with some nice shot options and price wise was very well worth it.

Depending on how much walking you can handle, if walking 36 at Bandon Dunes Resort is too much, and you still want to play 36, the way to do it would be play a course at Bandon in the morning or afternoon and then a round at Bandon Crossings.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 10:54:49 PM »
The greens @ Edgewater were fantastic. They were holding day 1 of their club championship the next day. The trees do give a clostrophobic feeling to the course even if the fairtways are wider than they appear. I shot 3 over and only hit driver once on the front 9. Needess to say, off the tee is the main priority. From the fairway, things are not too difficult. I wish I could say the same for Bandon. I suffered the tortures of the damned there.
BTW, the staff @ Edgewater was as welcoming as anyone could have hoped for. It was a real treat.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 11:23:47 PM »
The greens @ Edgewater were fantastic. They were holding day 1 of their club championship the next day. The trees do give a clostrophobic feeling to the course even if the fairtways are wider than they appear. I shot 3 over and only hit driver once on the front 9. Needess to say, off the tee is the main priority. From the fairway, things are not too difficult. I wish I could say the same for Bandon. I suffered the tortures of the damned there.
BTW, the staff @ Edgewater was as welcoming as anyone could have hoped for. It was a real treat.

Glad to hear the last but not surprised.  Bryan Tunstill runs a really great golf operation.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 12:01:28 AM »
I think we have some bunker fetishism going on here. Emerald Valley is a boring, mostly flat course that has been dressed up with some Dan Hixson bunkers that IMHO frankly look out of place there.
Nuff said!

Cristian

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 02:06:35 AM »
I was in Bandon in May and the first day played Old Mac 10 hole preview, 18 on Pacific and then 18 at Bandon Crossings which of course you can take a golf cart. It worked out great and Bandon Crossings is a nice course. The first few and last couple of holes are less interesting but the interior holes were very nice with some nice shot options and price wise was very well worth it.

Depending on how much walking you can handle, if walking 36 at Bandon Dunes Resort is too much, and you still want to play 36, the way to do it would be play a course at Bandon in the morning or afternoon and then a round at Bandon Crossings.

Does Bandon C. allow walking?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 02:39:16 AM »
Crossings definitely allows walking and is currently rated "Orange" due to several long green to tee transfers.

It has been rated a Red until Garland straightened things out - for some it is probably a Yellow.

The only tough thing about Crossings is that you are in Bandon and might as well just play another round at the resort :)

Of course it is a couple of bucks cheaper - but not sure how much if it is your second course of the day because of the replay rate at BDGR.

ed_getka

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 04:06:02 AM »
I would go to Sheep Ranch. Perfect way to warm up after the flying and driving it takes to get to Bandon. What could be better than playing H-O-R-S-E on a golf course?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 11:14:54 AM »
I second Ed's nomination of Sheep Ranch.  It may not be open at that time though; doesn't it close for awhile in the summer?  I was there in mid-June and I recall that was one of the last few weeks it was open. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 12:35:24 PM »
If you are willing to take a different route (other than I-5)  south from Portland, that brings Arrowhead CC, private, in Mollala in play. Way better than Shadow Hills and Emerald Valley.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 01:05:45 PM »
I second Ed's nomination of Sheep Ranch.  It may not be open at that time though; doesn't it close for awhile in the summer?  I was there in mid-June and I recall that was one of the last few weeks it was open. 

I was told it opens in late october. 

C. Sturges

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »
If you want to play something fun and like nothing else I would play Ocean Dunes.  It is in Florence and is a must see in my opinion.  I would also recommend going to Astoria.  These are going to be links style courses with sand dunes and playing firm and fast.  Not true examples like Bandon Dunes, but they are not park land courses like the others mentioned.  I would also play the Sheep Ranch for the experience, but the last time I was there they now wanted you to play a set route, if no one else is there you would not have to but I understand they are trying to host more rounds there.
Enjoy,
Chris

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »
... I would also recommend going to Astoria.  ...

Understanding that Astoria is quite a ways north of Portland

C. Sturges

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 02:33:48 PM »
Astoria is west of Portland and is about a five hour drive mattering on how many RV's you have to pass to Bandon, and about two hours from Portland.
Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back