News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Schofield

GCA Input on Yardage Books
« on: September 10, 2009, 08:58:47 AM »
I recently played Tobacco Road again and noticed that the yardage book attempts to obscure potential shortcuts in on several holes.  For instance, Hole #5 is a short Par 4.  The yardage book provides several "cover" and "through" distances for the fairway off to the right, but no "cover" distance to the fairway short of the green.  Hole #12 is a mid-length Par 4 that doglegs to the left.  The yardage book provides several "through" distances to the main fairway but provides no "cover" or "through" distances to the fairway beyond the choke point.  The best example, however, is Hole #13 which is a double-dogleg Par 5 with blind approches to the 2nd Landing Area and the Green.  The the yardage book provides no information whatsoever regarding an attempted drive over the trees to the 2nd Landing Area.  This brought up a few questions in my mind:

How much input does the GCA have on the final draft of the Yardage Book?  It seems almost all have a short haiku from the architect, but otherwise could have been made by anyone with an aerial photo and a rudimentary knowledge of golf.

Have you used Yardage Books to guide players to your intended line of play?  In the case of Tobacco Road #13, I believe this omission was done more for pace of play (if every big hitter waited for the 2nd Landing Zone to clear from the tee, groups would pile up on this tee) and safety than strategic reasons.

Can this attempt to steer players in specific directions backfire by blindly wailing away with the wrong assumed yardage?

Your thoughts?

Related threads:
Tobacco Road vs. Tot Hill Farm Yardage Books: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34244.0/
Best Yardage Books: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,24852.0/

Kalen Braley

Re: GCA Input on Yardage Books
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 09:49:57 AM »
Uh oh,

Here's to hoping Melyvn doesn't see this one!!   ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:19:06 PM »

Yardage Books should be available but only in Braille – they regrettable are the only ones that really need them

Melvyn

Mark Manuel

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 04:34:05 PM »
I wonder if these yardage books are trying to do too much?  When I am standing on a tee box playing a course for the first time it generally helps to know yardages to potential problems or carries when taking a specific line (#2 at TR for example).  The stuff you are talking about seems way beyond standard issue yardage book stuff. 

I think the architect's involvement in a yardage book is in intended lines of play which are generally evident when you are standing on the tee.  But TR would be the exception and I needed every page of that yardage book.

Played Oakland Hills recently.  No tee sheet, no colored flags, nothing to indicate where the flag was on the green.  First couple of holes it bothered me.  Then I realized I am not that good and it actually helped to just hit to the center of the green.  On some holes you knew, 16 was obvious, but otherwise you just went with it.  It brought me around to Melvyn's way of thinking although not that extreme.
The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »
Strange thing is, since I bought my range finder I haven't had to use a yardage book ;D
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Chris Buie

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 05:52:14 PM »
A buddy of mine invited me to play Little River the other day and you don't need yardage books.  The carts have these little screens which tell you the exact distance to the hole.  Um, not only that but you can electronically post your score which is displayed in the clubhouse.  Kind of like a bowling alley.  And you can order your lunch on it so it's ready at the turn - and check on current sports scores as well.
Melvyn, I can make inquiries about this little wonder on your behalf in case you want one to ride around in on your home course.

Michael Blake

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:08:56 PM »
A buddy of mine invited me to play Little River the other day and you don't need yardage books.  The carts have these little screens which tell you the exact distance to the hole.  Um, not only that but you can electronically post your score which is displayed in the clubhouse.  Kind of like a bowling alley.  And you can order your lunch on it so it's ready at the turn - and check on current sports scores as well.
Melvyn, I can make inquiries about this little wonder on your behalf in case you want one to ride around in on your home course.

I played in an outing and the course had those carts.  Sped play up tremendously.  AND it was very cool to see where your group stood on the outing's leaderboard.  Real-time scoring right in front of you.

Pat Burke

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
forget the yardage book!    Get the GPS that helps record the yardage your different clubs fly on average.
Then it can tell you the line AND the club to hit!

ps  I'm sending the paramedics to Melvyn's ;)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 06:23:40 PM »
I don't know who wrote it, but it's one of my favorite pieces ever:

The Tobacco Road Haiku:

"Where's the freakin' green?
Dude, I have no idea.
Check the yardage book."
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 06:57:31 PM »

I don’t know about you guys, but I still play a game called golf.  ;D

The only time I get any outside aid is in the pub afterwards – and I drink it with a glass not out of a bottle.  You see I can savour the full experience of both golf and a fine wine, beer or Scottish Single malt. Like sex, it should not be rushed and unlike Tiger, you must consider your partner (and not just in bed). Gentlemen always come last and should not get overexcited or read the sex manual while in an intimate embrace – as many of you seem to do on a golf course to decide distance of penetration to the pin. A Gentlemen knows instinctively that his balls mark the limit. :o 8)

All you guys, I expect also need help as you may not be able to find the pub without your distance books, GPS, Rangefinders etc. Talk about over reliance on aids. :'(

Melvyn

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 07:23:13 PM »

The only time I get any outside aid is in the pub afterwards – and I drink it with a glass not out of a bottle.  You see I can savour the full experience of both golf and a fine wine, beer or Scottish Single malt. Like sex, it should not be rushed and unlike Tiger, you must consider your partner (and not just in bed). Gentlemen always come last and should not get overexcited or read the sex manual while in an intimate embrace – as many of you seem to do on a golf course to decide distance of penetration to the pin. A Gentlemen knows instinctively that his balls mark the limit. :o 8)

All you guys, I expect also need help as you may not be able to find the pub without your distance books, GPS, Rangefinders etc. Talk about over reliance on aids. :'(

Melvyn

OMG Melyvn,

You made me blush while reading that.  I take it you're a member of the Road hole bunker club then?   ;D

P.S. I guess Tiger's wife is dogmeat then?  Wow you must have seriously high standards!! ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »

Melvyn

Melvyn, I admire your restraint in this reply.  I think there may have been a bit of Melvyn-baiting going on.

Hope to see you in Kent week after next!  We'll have some of that single malt stuff.   :D

Michael Moore

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 07:47:57 PM »
To answer David's excellent question, I will provide my usual quotation from Edward Tufte's seminal Envisioning Information.

"Displays of evidence implicitly but powerfully define the scope of the relevant, as presented data are selected from a larger pool of material . . . That selection of data . . . can make all the difference, determining the scope of the evidence and thereby setting the analytic agenda that leads to a particular decision."

Here is the latest offering from Green Light Special, for the Wannamoisett Country Club, illustrated by avid lurker David "D.C." Cummings.

1. All of the features on this yardage book are drawn to scale. Unlike some of the cartoons that are featured in other books, in which the vital green end is crammed into an unfortunate vanishing point on the horizon, a golfer who needs more information can look it up and easily reference it on this map.

2. This map features a substantial area beneath each hole for taking notes. This book will be used by the greatest amateurs in the world at the Northeast Amateur, and it is wrong for me to believe that I have given them 100% of the information they need.

3. A yardage book should always illuminate the way for the longest of hitters. They hit the ball with the most consistency, they are the most likely to have the book in their hands, they are the most likely to be involved in a risk/reward analysis, and, most of all, there is no extra cost to providing this vital information.

The mapmaker must strive to be neutral and to be as generous as possible with the information.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

David Schofield

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »
Melvyn, I'm curious if you also believe that the numbering of clubs should also be banned?  Should I not be able to tell that my sand wedge is my sand wedge without an "S" on its sole?   ;)

Chris Buie

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 11:35:17 PM »
Well, I'm just back from a lively dilettant party. I wasn't going to post this before but as they say "in vino veritas".  My little quip about buying Melvyn a cart before was tongue in cheek - my own curious approximation of humor.  I'm pretty sure that was obvious.  Truly, I agree with Melvyn.  I would quite happily play with hickory clubs and a tie.  I mean that. 
Melvyn, (and I'm not saying this to butter you up) you are a benefit to the game and I hope you hold forth with your perspective unrestrained.  We most definitely need that voice.
For the record I don't have any electronic devices, I don't wear David Duval shades and I most definitely do not wear or even have a lime green shirt.  The only aid I've bought in the past few years is something called a "Butterfly", and that was for my girlfriend.  To my knowledge she has never used it on a golf course although I am open to the idea.
Would that we were all playing golf as it was meant to be.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 05:17:49 AM »

David

Using your argument, I am considering starting a campaign of having numbers removed from a golf course.

Not just the number of clubs allowed, but quite rightly their numbers, but following your brilliant logic I just have to remove the numbers from the holes. There will be no order to how you play, there will be no round of 18, allowing anyone to join in at any holes as none will be the First or last.

The never ending circle, just like life, some running out of gas early, some not knowing what or where they are going (probably most of the architects). Yet I am certain the real golfer will walk through the course, fully understand the GCA and achieving what all others can’t quite seem to find, the joy and contentment of being your own man (or woman), having fun and enjoying the challenge. The rest would slowly fall away as it would present a challenge and that is not in their opinion what the game is all about – those poor lost souls, cursed for life searching always for that easy option. ;D

Nevertheless, when you interject some common sense into the discussion, we will have numbers but hopefully not yardade books. Remember David, what your partner(s) keeps reminding you, its not the length or size that matters, its how you use them that counts, perhaps more lessons on that subject may well be in order. ;)

Melvyn  8)

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 07:11:36 AM »
 8) and where do the caddies stand in all of this? certainly not in the piles of etheral golfdom bs being scattered about on this subject and that of walking vs carts?  are they just beasts of burden for the elite class of golfers as viewed by the pure golfers?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 08:01:58 AM »

Caddies, No not for me thank you.

How can anything be an adventure if someone is directing you to all its most secret parts? Perhaps from my youth, I have enjoyed the exploration of the unknown, the blind holes, doglegs. Why I love virgin golf course, to play on a course you have never been on before with no one to advise you.

That special oneness with the game.

No need for carts, distance aids of any sort, just a mirror of life, one learning the joys of discovery. A Caddy kills that for me, but remember it’s just my opinion and not that of any dead relative.

I suppose it is why I don’t understand the American approach to the game. A new young country has been created. Formed by the sheer courage and determination of will, out of hardship and challenge not just the environment but working with the indigenous people. A mighty nation was carved out of a great land, but today, its all about doing things the easy way, minimise effort and not wanting to face the challenge. What a change in just over a century.

The Human Spirit, the Flame of Life is born out of the challenge, of striving to get that first breath, to seek a better future. Tell me where are we heading now, worldwide terrorism, golf played on the screen of a cart or in the clubhouse, just where are we going – makes you think the R&A are in charge.

Therefore, having yet again painted a dismal picture of the future, could it be that the future of the Western World depends on how we decide to play golf – I hope not because we are then totally Doomed, there is no remote control or button to press to rerun ones real life. We and others will pay dearly (both money and in pain) for our errors – to prove my point again just look to some of the new courses (no, no that just a joke, but they are expensive to play).

Am I serious or just joking, there today’s challenge for you to work out – What’s that some of you are muttering, its too much of a challenge and its not easy – all well I wonder why I bother at times.

Melvyn     

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 08:36:53 AM »

I suppose it is why I don’t understand the American approach to the game. A new young country has been created. Formed by the sheer courage and determination of will, out of hardship and challenge not just the environment but working with the indigenous people. A mighty nation was carved out of a great land, but today, its all about doing things the easy way, minimise effort and not wanting to face the challenge. What a change in just over a century.

Melvyn,

I am serious when I ask this, have you ever been to America? Have you ever played golf in America? There are 15,000 courses in America and there are literally hundreds of different models out there of how to play golf.

Come next summer to Martha's Vineyard with Obama and me. You can play

1. The fancy private 18 holer where caddies are the norm.
2. The regular guy public 18 holes where carts are the norm, but many walk too.
3. The old school private 9 holer where basically everyone walks with bag or push cart. http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36165.0/
4. The mixed bag public 9 holer where people do what works for them.

You can also go to Maine and see one model on North Haven Island:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,25025.0/

Mel,

You need to stop viewing the world through CNN, get out there and experience golf in America and then check back with us. And yes I have been to Scotland and want to get back when travel is easier.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 09:38:53 AM »
I think yardage books are very important... at some courses.

All I know is standing on #4, #5, #7, #12 at Bethpage Black for example, I want my yardage book so I know how long a carry it is over the diagonal hazards you MUST carry from the tee.

And good luck finding/buying a yardage book from Friars Head, caddies are the only ones that have them.... oh and when they are beautiful hand drawn books like this one, it is a work of art, not just a distance guide.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »
I have a fairly large collection of yardage books (or "Stroke Savers" as they are called typically in the UK), and will usually buy one at every new course I play.  I glance at them while playing, but enjoy them most when recalling rounds played in the past.  There are all kinds - aerial photos with graphics, nice artwork like Michael Moore's above.

To me they hardly equate with the instant information available from a GPS device.  I don't liike those things, as absolute distance to the pin is not all you need to know when deciding what club to play or shot to hit.  I do like yardage books because I can relate to graphics on a page.

JMEvensky

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 10:28:44 AM »
Melvyn, I'm curious if you also believe that the numbering of clubs should also be banned?  Should I not be able to tell that my sand wedge is my sand wedge without an "S" on its sole?   ;)

Ballesteros played with a set of Mizunos COMPLETELY unmarked except for a small "SB" on the toe.One of the most amazing things I've ever seen.His caddie said that he didn't like clutter.

David Schofield

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 12:12:39 AM »
For the sake of moving the discussion forward, I'll grant Melvyn's premise that yardage books are the root of all evil on the golf course.  Given that, does anyone have any thoughts on the original question(s)?

• How much input does the GCA have on the final draft of the Yardage Book?  It seems almost all have a short haiku from the architect, but otherwise could have been made by anyone with an aerial photo and a rudimentary knowledge of golf.
  • Have you used Yardage Books to guide players to your intended line of play?  In the case of Tobacco Road #13, I believe this omission was done more for pace of play (if every big hitter waited for the 2nd Landing Zone to clear from the tee, groups would pile up on this tee) and safety than strategic reasons.
  • Can this attempt to steer players in specific directions backfire by blindly wailing away with the wrong assumed yardage?

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 01:46:29 AM »
Melvyn, I love it when you channel the ghost of Henry Longhurst, but ...

... caddies are good for the game, yardage books (and even GPS) add to the sport, rather than detract, and once upon a time, live scoring in a cart -- we had to take carts that day -- helped me, the zillion handicapper, win a tournament.

Cheers!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back