News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Any Ideas? Or, I think you should know...
« on: September 09, 2009, 10:33:18 PM »
Who here is sick of all the pettiness? Let's get back to ideas!

One of Texas wackiest characters is a friend from my California days. His name is Gary and he just started his own blog. While Gary, among many others things, is a creative writer, the blog so far is the soul of wit. I hope you'll find his collection of things he thinks people should know interesting enough for return visits and possible discussions.

The first cool idea I saw, that's possibly germane, was this one. WatAir

http://www.openarchitecturenetwork.org/node/926

One billion people live in abject poverty. Four billion live in fragile but growing economies. One in seven people live in slum settlements. By 2020 it will be one in three. We don't need to choose between architecture or revolution. What we need is an architectural revolution.

The U.N. Millennium Development Goals aim to "achieve improvement in the lives of 100 million slum dwellers by the year 2015." Reaching this goal will require a profoundly new approach to improving the built environment.

The Open Architecture Network aims to be just such a catalyst for change

The gapminder is also over the top fodder for ideas.

Gary's blog can be found here;

http://garyc101.blogspot.com/
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike_Young

Re: Any Ideas? Or, I think you should know...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:47:21 PM »

One billion people live in abject poverty. Four billion live in fragile but growing economies. One in seven people live in slum settlements. By 2020 it will be one in three. We don't need to choose between architecture or revolution. What we need is an architectural revolution.

The U.N. Millennium Development Goals aim to "achieve improvement in the lives of 100 million slum dwellers by the year 2015." Reaching this goal will require a profoundly new approach to improving the built environment.

The Open Architecture Network aims to be just such a catalyst for change

The gapminder is also over the top fodder for ideas.

Gary's blog can be found here;

http://garyc101.blogspot.com/

Adam,
You ever think this same thought process would work for bringing golf out of the doldrums?  BUT a site like this would never understand such action....
Don't you think your post above is a good example of where good architecture (vertical structure or golf) may never be noticed or awarded or appreciated by the architecturally elite? 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 11:01:04 PM »
Mike, From what I gather, the architecturally elite, for the most part, appear to be self appointed. (Or maybe it was a committee decision?) While the architecturally curious student is open to, and even relishes, not knowing what lies beyond the next curve has an ability to be open to, and illicit an emotional response. (Pos or Neg)

Should I label it OT?

::)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:03:36 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:06:43 PM »
Mike, From what I gather, the architecturally elite, for the most part, appear to be self appointed. (Or maybe it was a committee decision?) While the architecturally curious student is open to, and even relishes, not knowing what lies beyond the next curve has an ability to be open to, and illicit an emotional response. (Pos or Neg)

Should I label it OT?

::)

OT.....of course not...... ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:36:55 PM »
Adam and Mike,

Without delving too far into the realm of abstract concepts like the "architectural elite", I would say that golf has a conundrum to overcome if it chooses to profoundly improve the built environment of the game. 

Is GCA going the way of CommonGround and Rustic Canyon in it's conceptual applications?  Or is it headed in the polar opposite direction of Four Mile Ranch and Wolf Creek. 

The market will accept what it will accept.  And trust me when I say that every time you see a Jack Hamm X-Factor product in an otherwise smart human being's hand, you are getting your answer as to where golf is headed both in it's play and in it's "built environment"

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 12:17:09 AM »
Ben:

Help me out OK -- have you played any of the four (4) courses you highlighted in your last post ?

Please tell me why Four Mile Ranch and Wolf Creek are somehow the ills of the game as you see them. Let me point out that I salute what CommonGround is doing and ditto for Rustic Canyon.

Don't know if you are aware of this -- but Four Mile Ranch is what golf needs too. It's very affordable, fun to play and is located in area of the country where it provides a real connection to the game for a wide swath of players. Unfortunately, Jim Engh is not embraced by those narrow-thinking folks here who see his work as considerably less in overall quality. In regards to Wolf Creek it provides a clearly different diversion from the robotic embrace that only "classic" golf is what can sustain the game. There's good golf available in the USA -- one simply needs to keep one's mind open to that and to get out in the field and see firsthand what is there.

Ben Sims

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:27:54 AM »
Matt,

Chill-ax dude.  ;D Though I'm impressed by how quick you honed in on a Wolf Creek shout out.

However, I re-read my post and through powers of literary deduction I came to the conclusion that I never said anything that resembled "ills of the game."

But, if you deny the fact that those two types of golf are completely different, you're in denial.  If you deny that golf is in a redundant state of bigger and better, you're in denial.  If you deny the assertion that less complex, more affordable, more accessible golf courses are one of the things that can help golf get through this volatile and trying financial time, then you're in denial.  I personally think that those four courses are leading examples of their respective genre's; great courses the lot of them.  To answer your question, no I haven't seen all of those I mentioned.   

Ask yourself this question.  Which type of golf course is going to nurture and educate the next generation of golfers better?  Maybe the answer to that question is also the next big thing in GCA and also a viable solution to "improving the built environment." 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 12:17:34 PM »
Ben:

Before I "chill" as you stated -- how bout you recall your inital post ...

You placed CommonGround and Rustic Canyon on one side of the divide -- and had Four Mile Ranch and Wolf Creek on the other. That tells me -- unless you want to correct yourself -- that you see the former as the manner by which golf design should be. If that's not accurate please let me know.

Help me out on another front -- have you played all of the four (4) courses you mentioned ? Forget the word "seen" -- I mean played personally. If you have not -- please tell me by what great powers you possess you decide to throw forward FMR and WC as being less of what golf needs today?

Ben, let me help you OK -- I'm not in "denial" about anything. I have played all of the courses you mentioned and each provides a clear take on what golf design can be about. They are fun to play in their own right and worthy of people taking the time to visit them if the opportunity arises.

Please tell me how Four Mile Ranch is "complex" -- or that it's not "affordable" -- or that's not "accessible" -- Jim Engh did a stellar job in creating a layout that allows for playability, walkability and is very inexpensive. In regards to Wolf Creek it's clearly not going to be liked by those who have a narrow penchant -- dogmatic I might add -- for classic type golf courses. It is clearly unique for its setting and I find it refreshing for a layout to be so quirky from a desert USA standpoint. Those who don't like it are free to disagree -- but Wolf Creek is not boring and has plenty of fun holes I believe many golfers would enjoy playing. No doubt at Wolf Creek you have to ride and the cost to play there is higher than say FMR but when you factor in what it costs to play other nearby courses in and around the Vegas area it's stil a relatively good deal.

Ben, you present your case as an "either or" -- I see golf design as an "and." FMR and Wolf Creek have become successful because they are not part and parcel of being from the same mold. They are not, as you describe them as "redundant" or of the "bigger and better" pattern. They clearly offer in their own way a winning formula in my mind that will help build enthusiasm for those playing the game now and bringing forward new players in the years ahead.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »
Ben:

Before I "chill" as you stated -- how bout you recall your inital post ...

You placed CommonGround and Rustic Canyon on one side of the divide -- and had Four Mile Ranch and Wolf Creek on the other. That tells me -- unless you want to correct yourself -- that you see the former as the manner by which golf design should be. If that's not accurate please let me know.

Matt,

You're out of your freaking mind! How's that for telling you?
 :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 12:36:37 PM »
Woops, Adam, did I overstep the pettiness bound? If so, my apologies.  :-*
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 12:44:13 PM »
In regards to Wolf Creek it's clearly not going to be liked by those who have a narrow penchant -- dogmatic I might add -- for classic type golf courses.

Matt, I won't argue with your opinion that these courses help grow the game. It's your opinion. But I do take exception with your conclusion that "classic" types are the reasons why someone might not care for the golf presented at Wolf Creek. You have written that statement about two hundred times and it's just a wrong characterization on your part. It's insulting for no other purpose than to be insulting.

As someone who appreciates well done modern layouts, like a Pinon Hills, that does mimic the local topography, I see a huge difference in the golf presented on both a visual and playable basis.

Appreciating feature shaping that respects the natural features that are part of, or surround, a golf course is not a dogmatic adherence to classic architecture. It's an added appreciation to other qualities on a well thought out design.  Wolf Creek is a soulless course with no cohesiveness between any sequences of holes.

Ben Sims

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »
Who here is sick of all the pettiness? Let's get back to ideas!

Matt,

For a thread that starts off in the manner I quoted above, you sure are getting your undies in a bunch.  I put forth an idea to expound upon the notion of "improving the built environment" for golf.  Frankly, I believe that fundamental architectural principles, combined with low construction and operating budgets, with a healthy dose of ODG quirk thrown in, will help golf.  Help golf?  I mean that in many ways.  It will help the golf design and construction business to stay afloat.  It will allow a greater degree of playability for beginners, women, kids, seniors, high 'cappers; so that golf is fun for them.  IMO, a win-win for the difficult times hat many of our friends here are facing right now.

The fact that you have distilled my point to some sort of attack on another golf course is shortsighted.  You saw someone speak negatively--which I still maintain I did not, just comparing--about a favorite course of yours and you came out guns a blazin'.  If you want to speak about ideas of merit to help the game through a tough time, so be it.  But this thread is not the place to discuss the merits of individual courses.  It looks to me like Adam was posting about a collection of ideas.  

I will also say this.  The assertion that one must play a golf course in order to "get" the basic idea of what that course represents wholly is narrow.  It's impossible for 99% of the guys on this site to play every course that gets discussed.  Does that mean that studying, reading, looking at pictures, etc., won't give someone a basic gist of a golf course?  Sure, it takes playing the golf course to understand its subtleties and nuances and "the experiential.'  But studying a golf course can be done in many ways--even if playing the course is the preferred way.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:54:16 PM by Ben Sims »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »
Does golf being tied to certain traditions limit where it will go? We know the golf rules define hazards to be water and bunkers. Does that or tradition prevent the popularization of other types of hazards. There has been an attempt to make grass bunkers, but their acceptance seems limited. (on a side note I was surprised to see what must be a grass bunker to the left of 8 green at the LPGA event at Pumpkin Ridge recently)
Golf's sticking with tradition has ended up with sand bunker hazards being the choice of where to go instead of something to be avoided. I have often wondered if in my region of the country, whether it would be a good idea to let black berry brambles grow in strategic locations on the golf course and get rid of the sand bunkers. It certainly would be easy to "build" and it would also be a hazard with real bite.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »
Ben:

Shall we dance this song again ?

My undies are quite fine thank you ... I just wonder if you bother to read what I have already written ?

Ben, c'mon let's stop with the silliness OK. You listed four (4) courses -- you placed specific ones on one side to highlight them as being the epitome of what golf needs. You then placed two other courses on the other side. Are we following the program correctly?

How do you know what the qualities of the golf courses you listed if you have not played them. Oh, forgive me, I see, you simply just glom onto what you have heard from others or what you have seen from pics and that becomes the manner by which your understanding of these layouts occur. Now, I get it. Ben, let me try to help you if I can -- if you are making assertions on what is good and not good for the game -- your overall credibility would go up 1000% if you knew just what the hell you were talking about. If you had been to the four (4) courses in question and played them and THEN made some sort of distinction between them I would have more respect for the points you have sought to make. Too much of what passes itself off as insight is often nothing more than deep left field seats analysis.

You advocate low construction and low operating budget courses with a healthy dose of quirk -- let me refresh your own ignorance but Four Mile Ranch already does that. I guess you figure since it's an Engh design that it can't possibly have those elements.

Ben, it's laughble when you say I "distilled" what you wrote -- let's try this again shall we -- you placed CG and RC on one side as what golf needs and had FMR and WC as poster children for what ails the game. I didn't do that -- you did. Got it now.

Ben, people can have a "basic gist" for anything -- but it doesn't triumph over the actual playing of the course itself. I too share your concerns that golf cannot follow certain models in the vein of the CCFAD or the gated community types that simply drain valuable resources and only cause the prospective future players to engage in other pasttimes beyond golf. You are 1000% right to be concerned and I commend you and others who feel we can have quality golf design that accomplished that. Just realize that before you start to post candidates on either side of the divide. If you ever play Four Mile Ranch you will see that it meets your baselines in so many ways and in my mind is even better than what either CG or RC now provide.

Adam:

I respect your thoughts -- even when we often part company -- but classic school types who embrace that style as the be-all / end-all would likely find Wolf Creek not their cup of tea. So be it. That's not insulting to those folks but clearly accurate from many I have heard from when discussing the course in question.

Insulting? Surely, you jest.

In fact, I know classic course lovers who embrace their affinity for such courses and how they find Wolf Creek to be lacking from their own personal tastes. Maybe I should take their response as "insulting" -- I don't. I do see it as being narrow-minded in what quality golf design can be. That is, of course, their prerogative.

Wolf Creek is very much a controversial course and no doubt there are places that use the topography of the desert quite well in different fashions -- you mentioned Pinon Hills and I do like the layout (when it's not man saturated w H20).

Adam, if you talk about "insulting" comments -- then I find your take on Wolf Creek that it is "souless course with no cohesiveness between any sequences of holes" to be totally unfounded. I am more than happy to point out what you clearly missed. Likely you only played the course once and did not really have your eyes open to a range of different holes and how they work in concert with each other and the spectacular site upob which they are located.

Viva la difference !

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 01:24:09 PM »
Ben,

In order to get Matt's undies out of a knot, perhaps you should revise your post to mention The Rawls Course and Chambers Bay instead of FMC and WC, or are they not apropos enough to your meaning?

Ben Sims

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 01:41:01 PM »
Matt,

Fiddlesticks, I've infuriated you.  I liked your last post--screaming aside.  In all seriousness, the last paragrapgh was well spoken and well taken.  We should meet sometime and maybe you'll get what I'm saying about this "divide".  At this point, I'm giving up.  This thread was started for ideas, and I tried and was attacked for stating an opinion. 

As far as credibility goes.  I'm a poster on a golf architecture website, that's it.  I love golf courses and study them whenever I can.  I have seen some great, good, average, and bad courses.  If you as a professional writer and lifelong player of great courses feel the need to chamber a round or two at me, then feel free.   My credibility is suspect compared to yours.

But I would prefer not to engage in any further debate for a few reasons.  1) I'm not as smart as you. 2) I haven't played as many courses as you 3) I'm screwing around on the site waiting for my wife to get ready so we can drive to Santa Monica on our honeymoon 4) No matter what you say, I'm sticking with my assertion.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 01:46:37 PM »

Matt,

The fact that you have distilled my point to some sort of attack on another golf course is shortsighted.  You saw someone speak negatively--which I still maintain I did not, just comparing...

Ben:

... You listed four (4) courses -- you placed specific ones on one side to highlight them as being the epitome of what golf needs. You then placed two other courses on the other side. Are we following the program correctly?

Matt,

You realize of course that you are claiming to know what Ben thinks better than Ben knows himself, don't you?
That capability would make you a God!
I hope you understand that most of us refuse to worship in your temple when you engage in such folly.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »
Ward,

You're at it again....guys give an opinion and you immediately come back with why their opinion is not credible or is just plain wrong.  Do you realize how you come across?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 02:04:04 PM »
Gents:

I love when people spin the argument back around.

All I asked of Ben was to illuminate the manner by which he -- NOT I -- placed CG and RC on one side and had FMR and WC on the other. I asked him for some clarification and I also provided for me my personal take since I played all four (4) courses in question.

Sure, people can have opinions -- nothing wrong with them. My statement to Ben was not saying his opinion was wrong but just how he came to such a conclusion.

Ben:

You can believe what you choose to believe. I simply tried -- likely failed from my side -- to understand how you could place the courses in question to one side of the divide versus the other.

You mentioned you had not played all of them and I provided in great detail at how FMR meets the needs you seek.

Ben, my response to you was and is not personal. I enjoy hearing the comments of those who have personally sampled the courses they mention and the points they are seeking to make. However, I seek to educate myself from a much more hands-on dynamic. It si through that manner by which I can go steps beyond the surface level stuff that masks itself as analysis.

I too want golf to grow and for it to that we need courses that can challenge players in a range of ways without bankrupting the environment or our pocket books / wallets. If you ever play FMR I believe you will see how such a facility does that so well there.

Ben, congrats on your honeymoon and for your smarts in being in the Santa Monica area. I can tell you this -- your location is lot better than mine in North Jersey. ;D

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »
This reminds me of when Matt beat up on Kevin Pallier for asking if US courses were overrated.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 02:14:39 PM »
Please tell me why Four Mile Ranch and Wolf Creek are somehow the ills of the game as you see them. ...

Gents:

I love when people spin the argument back around.

All I asked of Ben was to illuminate the manner by which he -- NOT I -- placed CG and RC on one side and had FMR and WC on the other. ...

Matt,

Thou shall not bear fall witness!

Ain't going to worship in your temple.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »
Ain't it cool you can make water from air?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »
I actually think it's pretty cool that you started a thread suggesting pettiness be abandoned and lo and behold, pettiness immediately surfaced!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »
I actually think it's pretty cool that you started a thread suggesting pettiness be abandoned and lo and behold, pettiness immediately surfaced!

Guilty as charged!
 :'(

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 09:56:21 PM »
Ain't it cool you can make water from air?

Adam,

Ever hear of dew?

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back