News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bosela

Re: I hate having a pro tournament at our club!!
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 11:37:28 AM »
My home club (St. Catharines G&CC) just hosted the Canadian Tour Championship this past weekend, the marquee event on the Tour.

I thought it was a tremendous event and really enjoyed watching some future PGA Pros (guys like Mike Weir, Stephen Ames, Steve Stricker, Chris DiMarco, Stuart Appleby and many others started out on the Canadian Tour) take on our course.  Was thrilled to see the course hold up well, with -11 winning in a playoff, although the course was converted to a par 70 from a par 72 for the event.

We made the decision about a year and a half ago to host the event, mainly to help market our club and increase exposure to the public.  The Golf Channel had cameras at the club and will be doing a summary show in the next month.  

We had a number of golf openings at the time and our board felt that the pros of hosting the event would outweigh the cons, with the most notable con being that the members lost their course for a one week period.  Reciprocals were set up with many of the top private clubs in Ontario so the members that wanted to play golf above all else were certainly taken care of.

Interestingly enough, we ended up filling all of our golf openings in the spring this year so any interest coming from non-members because of the tournament would just mean that our waiting list would increase.

Still, the event brought in some money for the club, both from the Tour itself and the F&B sales and merchandise sales and interest in memberships have increased substantially.  There were a couple small cosmetic changes to the course and we'll be completing the second half of our new drainage system this fall using some of the money generated from the event, which obviously benefits the entire membership.  The Tour is also very interested in returning again next year, something that the board will be considering in the next month or two.

I for one really enjoyed having the tournament at our club and hope the Board (or the membership if it goes to a vote) decide to bring the Tour back in 2010.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:41:21 AM by Matt Bosela »

Scott Furlong

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 11:42:14 AM »
Jim,
Talk to the green chair or the Superintendent.  The wet conditions could be a result of the tournament but it might be something else.  I don’t know where you live but it’s not uncommon for a course 5 miles away to get an inch of rain and we get a tenth.  It happens more than you think and it changes maintenance practices for days.  The tee restrictions are something I don’t completely understand but it happens all the time.  Protect the par 3’s but I don’t see a need to protect the driver holes, unless you are pumping 300 rounds a day and I know you’re not.  Nevertheless, the tournament officials have their reasons and it seems to work.  Talk to your Superintendent, he probably has all your answers and he’s a great guy.  

Scott
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:44:16 AM by Scott Furlong »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 01:45:38 PM »
Thanks Scott, I will talk to him when I see him. I know we had A LOT of rain in August, but then we had a week of glorious weather and all I saw were the sprinklers blasting water on the course. Didn't make much sense to me.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 03:27:43 PM »
I just had a nice conversation with our GM about the course set up and tournament. I found out more about the financial side of the equation which certainly makes holding a tournament more palatable. I also suggested using blue tees for some holes instead of pushing the blacks 1/2 step off the back if saving a tee box was the question. Hopefully that will happen this weekend. We'll see.

As a result, hosting the tournament may be a nuisance, we do receive some remuneration for it. I know someone said that we should have reciprocity at other area clubs, which is fine, but if I wanted to play another course in Baltimore, I would have joined that one. BCC is head and shoulders better than any other course in Baltimore.
Mr Hurricane

Anthony_Nysse

Re: I hate having a pro tournament at our club!! New
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 08:55:40 AM »
Thanks Scott, I will talk to him when I see him. I know we had A LOT of rain in August, but then we had a week of glorious weather and all I saw were the sprinklers blasting water on the course. Didn't make much sense to me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:04:56 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jim Franklin

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »

Jim,
  This is a TOTAL guess, but even after a wet August, your Superintendent, (Tim Kennelly) may be watering in fertilizers or preemergents, etc to enhance the playing conditions for your event. I know we had times where were were fertilizer shortly after big rain events in preparation for The Crowne Plaza....

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL

Tony -

Thanks, that is exactly what he was trying to do. I know he was hoping for a 1/2" of rain to get the fertilizer in, but I am afraid we are currently getting more. Mother Nature just doesn't seem to cooperate when we need her. It should be a wet slog for the club championship this weekend. Yeah.
Mr Hurricane

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: I hate having a pro tournament at our club, but the money helps.
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 12:38:23 AM »
Jim I need to take the blame here. There is no way Baltimore CC would ever consider a tour event if I had done the right thing during my proshop visit. I got in a hurry to make my plane and well frankly let myself and the club down with a poor shopping effort.

Sean Leary

Re: I hate having a pro tournament at our club, but the money helps.
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2009, 09:49:53 AM »
Jim I need to take the blame here. There is no way Baltimore CC would ever consider a tour event if I had done the right thing during my proshop visit. I got in a hurry to make my plane and well frankly let myself and the club down with a poor shopping effort.

There is a first time for everything I guess....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back