News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

What's your favorite
« on: September 03, 2009, 10:00:57 PM »
finishing hole and why ?

NOTE: Only holes actually played should be discussed.

Answers should be in the context of your playing the hole AND in the context of a match/medal play competition that you're in.

Amongst my top 10 is # 18 at NGLA.

It's a short par 5 of about 500 yards, uphill, with random bunkering throughout the hole, a very generous fairway, a hazard along the entire right side, and, it has a skyline green that's one of the most frightening greens to approach, from any distance, especially with a back or far right hole location.

In the DZ is a left side, deep, fairway bunker that must be avoided at all costs.

Two great shots can get you home.

A wayward second shot  can be disastrous.

And, second shots played safe and short, leave a diabolical third shot to a well guarded green.

Eagle and birdie are often possible, but so are telephone numbers.

It's a wonderful hole for all levels of golfers.

One can play the hole conservatively or aggressively, depending upon your position.

The hole has different personalities and plays differently in match versus medal play, especially in a qualifying event when you either need a birdie or a par, or, to avoid a bogey or worse.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:13:06 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Chip Gaskins

Re: What's your favorite
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:31:57 PM »
NGLA #18 reminds me of Bandon Trails #16...both fantastic courses, but I personally don't like the uphill/blindness of them.  Good holes, but not great.

The courses I think are 10s are Shinnecock, Pine Valley, Ballyneal, and Royal County Down and none have overly fantastic #18s.

Maybe St. Louis CC?  Sand Hills?  Olympic?

I am going to go with Oakmont.

In the driving zone there are bunkers that mean guaranteed bogey (at best).

The second shot requires a precise approach to the correct shelf of the green, otherwise, three or four putts are in order.

There you have it.  Oakmont #18!

Matt OBrien

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:49:05 PM »
PV and Sand Hills are 1 and 1a in my book

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 11:04:51 PM »
An obvious choice is Pebble Beach, for the reasons that have been discussed numerous times here.

Riviera, for the demands it makes on the tee shot.

Wilshire, for the approach. It's one of my favorites.

Colonial, you've got to be in the right spot off the tee to get the correct angle.

Valley Club and Maidstone, because I get to look at two of the best looking clubhouses in golf!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:09:54 PM »
Based on two plays, I thought #18 at NGLA was the longest short par 5 I've ever played.  I guess it was the severe uphill nature of the hole and the location of the bunkers.  It played more like 550 yards.

Hard to beat Pebble Beach's finishing hole.  Nothing else in that part of the world is close.  Or anywhere else for that matter.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:23:27 PM by Bill_McBride »

Ed Oden

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 11:19:22 PM »
For match play, I like TOC.  You never feel like you are out of the hole.  Loads of fun.

For stroke play, I'll cast another vote for Sand Hills.  Just a terrific hole in all respects.  A true test of resolve to end the round.

Patrick, I love NGLA, but #18 was not among my favorites.  Maybe with more plays my opinion would change.

Ed

Matthew Parish

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 11:43:44 PM »
In terms of describing the sheer anguish, I would have to say the finale at the Straits Course.  It's my favorite, but only to the extent I enjoy telling people I survived and managed birdie.  After being punished over the course of 17 holes for even the slightest wayward shot, you come to what amounts to the only significantly uphill tee shot on the course, to a landing area you can barely see on a dogleg you know is there, but difficult to perceive.  And assuming you put something in the fairway, you shoot to a cross-shaped green, that even if you are five steps onto may still require you to pitch your next shot. 

Had a made a putt on the Blue Monster, I might say the same general things about it, but I digress. 

In terms of actual favorites, to play time and again, I'll have to go with Pebble.  It's hard to argue against a hole that gives you such a thrill off the tee and the approach.  Nothing better than ending with an eagle chance, even if you miss the putt.   

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 12:05:24 AM »
Pasatiempo deserves mention because it's a unique closer as a par 3. The fronting barranca and well sloped green make for exciting finishes no matter match or medal.

Wilshire was a great call. It may be the best hole on the course.

It's tough to specify the best. Much easier to spot a dog. Can you say Wolf Creek?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Emil Weber

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 12:15:55 AM »
Kapalua Plantation. It is a majestic and beautiful finisher.

John Kirk

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 12:54:22 AM »

The courses I think are 10s are Shinnecock, Pine Valley, Ballyneal, and Royal County Down and none have overly fantastic #18s.

Interesting, Chip.  I think #18 a Ballyneal is a great hole, one of the best on the course.

Other favorite finishing holes, at least this week, include Sand Hills and Stanford University.

Ash Towe

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 03:08:32 AM »
I also would endorse 18 at Sand Hills and also the last hole at Pacific Dunes.  You have to be long and accurate off the tee, good second and then play it left of the green and precise judgement needed to land the ball.  Quality hole that can produce a birdie.
In Austalia I would think of 18 at Royal Melbourne West.  Tee shot where you can cut as much of the dog leg as you dare.  Then an accurate second needed because there are some exacting bunkers you can find yourself in.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:12:08 AM by Ash Towe »

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 03:18:50 AM »
Pat

Do we have to go over this again?  I have told you many times the best finisher in all of golf which also happens to be my favourite.

Unlike many short par 4s, a great many golfers can aspire to a birdie.
While short, the hole still has trickery about it.
This hole is the epitome of J Kirk's the longer the ball can be viewed in motion the more fun the hole is theory. 
The view is lovely. 
The turf is as fine as it comes. 
Luck plays its part.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 09:23:01 AM »
To those who chose # 18 at Sand Hills, a question.

So you would pick # 18 at Sand Hills if you were one down in a match play competition, or, you needed a par or birdie to qualify or win in a medal play competition ?   ?

As John Patrick McEnroe Jr stated, " You can't be serious"

How can you possibly pick that hole as a desirable finisher when actually playing when it counts ?
Or you just like the look of the hole ?

# 18 at Pebble would also be in my top 10.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 09:50:36 AM »
I recently played nine of the better courses in eastern and Northern Ireland, and was amazed at how relatively lame the finishers were.  Of the courses we played, I'd say Royal Dublin's 18th was perhaps the best w/r/t how you'd want to finish match or medal play.  It's a long 90 degree dogleg right, with a hazard and OB that hugs the right edge of the fairway; the closer you play to the hazard, the shorter the second shot, which you then have to play across the hazard and OB.  I didn't love the hole qua hole, but it certainly presented lots of risks and rewards for match and medal play. 

Shane Wright

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »

Patrick, I couldn't agree more with your assessmentof #18 at Sand Hills. 

I think I gotta go with Carnoustie #18....

I'm also a big fan of #18 at Muirfield. 

To those who chose # 18 at Sand Hills, a question.

So you would pick # 18 at Sand Hills if you were one down in a match play competition, or, you needed a par or birdie to qualify or win in a medal play competition ?   ?

As John Patrick McEnroe Jr stated, " You can't be serious"

How can you possibly pick that hole as a desirable finisher when actually playing when it counts ?
Or you just like the look of the hole ?

# 18 at Pebble would also be in my top 10.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 10:37:55 AM »
Pat,

I like these threads you have going.  Gotta go with Lakaota Canyon #18 on this one.  A great hole with tons of strategy and easy on the eye as well.

From the tee:

Looking back...

JESII

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 10:52:46 AM »
Kalen,

I'm curious, what are the strategic choices on that hole? I haven't played it, but other than hitting a 4 iron from the tee to the left somewhere I don't see any question marks.

Tim Bert

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »
Kalen,

I'm curious, what are the strategic choices on that hole? I haven't played it, but other than hitting a 4 iron from the tee to the left somewhere I don't see any question marks.

One strategic option appears to be how many balls you pack in your golf bag!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 11:05:08 AM »
Kalen,

Jim so you've only seen it in pictures then....

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:17:21 AM by Kalen Braley »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 11:12:24 AM »
If you want a hard finisher... CARNOUSTIE: Anything can happen as we've seen! If I'm all square in a match on the 18th tee I know I must keep my wits about me. Peril lies everywhere!

If you want a softer finisher... INVERNESS: Short par 4 that is easy on tee shot stress, but very difficult on the approach. Great matchplay and strokeplay hole with numerous opportunities for heroics (as Bob Tway proved in the '86 PGA Championship)... and heartbreak (as Greg Norman experienced in the '93 PGA).
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 11:22:25 AM »
A few favorites:
RME
R Adelaide
Quail Hollow
Pinnacle Point
Wallasey
RGC dl Belgique
Lundie

They are match play gems where the balance can be tipped decisively, not in a monodimensional sense: the match can be won / lost on the tee, on the second shot, on the third shot and on the green.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:27:58 AM by Mark Bourgeois »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 11:32:15 AM »
Mark - I second your vote for Wallasey. With everyone in the lounge above looking down on the 18th green one can document a thrilling (or disappointing) finish!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

JESII

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 11:44:18 AM »
Kalen,

Jim so you've only seen it in pictures then....

Yep...please enlighten me.

Jason Topp

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 11:52:41 AM »
I enjoy the short par 4 finishing holes at many links courses (TOC, North Berwick, Prestwick).  I think the mental challenge of making a birdie when you feel like you should makes for an interesting finish to a match or a stroke play competition whether you are ahead or behind.

Richard Choi

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 12:08:54 PM »
I would second 18th at Kapalua. I don't think I have ever played a golf hole as fun and majestic as that one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back