News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Golf Fitness Regime
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
I literally feel like gumby when I walk out of there! :)

Be careful, Pat. In a Minnesota winter, Gumbys have been known to snap right in half.

Where do you play squash?

I imagine squash technology has changed utterly since I played the game (very amateurishly) in the '70s. In those days, a broken squash racquet was not the least surprise.

Has squash gone high-tech?

Only a matter of time before they roll back the ball....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Kelly

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2011, 04:33:45 PM »

Yeah, those hundred-yard-long courts they've had to build are so wasteful....
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PCCraig

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2011, 04:43:03 PM »

Yeah, those hundred-yard-long courts they've had to build are so wasteful....

They did sort of "roll back" the ball, at least in the States, by going to the double yellow ball (softer) and international courts in the 90's (I think) after modern equipment made the harder balls and bigger courts obsolete. (This was before my time, but this is what I've been told).

Since I moved up here, I've been playing at the old Minneapolis Athletic Club, which folded ~10 years ago and is now a Lifetime. They do have three high quality international courts and about 100 players that play consistently. I've been pleasantly surprised by how strong the squash culture is in Minnesota.
H.P.S.

Will Lozier

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 05:22:15 PM »
Run, Swim, Bike, Stretch...and repeat.

Or become a caddie and double bag 7-9 rounds a week...you'll eat like a horse, be tan, have lean muscles, and pockets full of cash  ;D

DITTO!  I am currently 31 pounds above my caddie-leanest weight - 191 v. 160 - and generally weigh 185 give or take a few.  NOTHING will get you fitter!

PCCraig

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 05:40:33 PM »
Run, Swim, Bike, Stretch...and repeat.

Or become a caddie and double bag 7-9 rounds a week...you'll eat like a horse, be tan, have lean muscles, and pockets full of cash  ;D

DITTO!  I am currently 31 pounds above my caddie-leanest weight - 191 v. 160 - and generally weigh 185 give or take a few.  NOTHING will get you fitter!

Yep...hard to beat spending a summer in Boston taking a few classes and looping. Tan, fit, and a pocket of cash usually leads to some fun nights in a College town!! :)
H.P.S.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 09:38:36 PM »
I started doing some yoga at the beginning of 2011 at my gym. Did it once or twice a week over the winter, but stopped during the golf season.

Over the past 2-3 months, I've been going to hot yoga pretty regular basis. I will go 2-4 times a week depending on my schedule.

The first month, I went to Corepower Yoga, thanks to a Groupon for a cheap month of unlimited yoga. (there are Corepower studios in several US cities) The past two months I've been going to a place called Moksha Hot Yoga, it's an outfit out of Canada that is starting to expand some in the U.S. Again, another Groupon deal. But I like this place quite a bit and am going to sign up as a regular member when my two months expire.

The classes are hot -- 102-104 degrees -- but I feel like I'm getting a little stronger and a little more flexible. I certainly wake up in the morning with fewer aches and pains. Hasn't done much to my weight at this point, but I can see a little difference in how my clothes fit. I'm also going to mix in some spinning classes this winter.

Heading to Phoenix this weekend so we'll see if it has done anything to my golf game.

If you are on the fence about trying yoga, there seems to be a ton of studios offering deals on places like Groupon, Living Social, etc. It certainly is a cheaper way to check a place out for a month or two.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:41:34 PM by Jeff Shelman »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2011, 09:40:17 PM »
I thought flexibility combined with endurance training and then weights focused on the golfing mussles

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2011, 11:03:16 PM »
It's amazing more golfers don't adhere to a Yoga regimen.  They have an inordinate amount of commonalities.

To be successful at both golf and yoga you need to be:

Strong, particular in the core region.
Flexible
Disciplined
Calm
Focused
Have a powerful mindset.

And because golf is so one-sided, Yoga can balance out the imbalances caused by the repetitive motion of the golf swing, as most types of Yoga (probably all) emphasize symmetry...working both sides of the body equally.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2011, 11:10:40 PM »
If anyone is in Milwaukee my trainer JimThompson is the only Level 2 Titelist TPI trainer in the State. He is going for Level 3. Very good trainer and great guy. 

BeGolfFit.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back