News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Beverly's architectural history
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:00:08 PM »
I know George O'Neil laid out the original 18 at Beverly, and Donald Ross later made some changes and so did Harry Collis.

Who did what and when at Beverly?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 05:03:51 PM by Tom MacWood »

RSLivingston_III

Re: Beverly's architectural history
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »
Get a hold of Rick Holland. He has a very extensive collection of info on O"Neil and Beverly.
You know him, correct?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 06:24:43 PM »
Ralph
I've collected quite a bit of info on O'Neil over the years and Rick has giving me a lot of it. I think we know pretty much what O'Neil did; I've attached the original course he designed below. He left in Beverly in 1916 and I don't believe he made any significant changes during his time. It was after he left that they began to redesign the course.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:07:20 AM »
I found this in the Chicago Tribune, May 18, 1918:

"Yesterday Ross was at the Beverly Country club, at which a number of changes are planned. Among these will be abolition of the short second hole which causes congestion. On the second nine Ross will suggest the abolition of the present eighteenth hole and make the finishing hole the present seventeenth. Also he will suggest the cutting down of the hill which faces the eleventh tee and using the earth to fill in the pond which faces the sixteenth tee. This is a ball catcher and a mosquito breeder.

A new short hole will be added after the present sixteenth. If all the changes are adopted, the course will measure about 6800 yards."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back