News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Salmen

The soul of golf.......Askernish
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:31:04 AM »
Have you ever driven along a coastal road and imagined yourself golfing an imaginary course that would fit just perfectly in the landscape?  That the land was there to only be golfed upon?  I lived the dream at Askernish.

There is information available to how Askernish came to be as it is.  I learned a lot of the history from Ralph Thompson and Allen Macdonald, whom I'd like to thank for being so generous with their time.  The first six holes meander around the dunes.  The next eleven holes are in the incredibly rolling sand dunes that make the course so special.  Eighteen begins on a high point and comes down nearly to the level of the adjacent farm land.

I played Askernish in some of the windiest conditions I've ever experienced.  It was better to play the course in this condition than if it was calm.  Par on the 6100 yard course was defended better than at all the 7500 yard courses I've ever played. 

I always thought of Machrihanish as the soul of golf.  Now I believe Askernish takes the title.  It is more remote.  There is a spirit at Askernish that is hard to describe in words.  I don't think anyone there makes money.  The course survives because of volunteers and donations.  There is pride of this treasure that permeates the atmosphere of the clubhouse and course.

As time passes, they will have to address the severity of the greens.  Now, they are not particularly fast but incredibly undulating.  At speeds of 8 or 9, many hole locations would be nearly impossible.  I don't believe this will be insurmountable, but a labor of love for those involved.

Hole #1 short 5 par

Dog leg right.  Tall rough to the right, some bail out room left.  The south wind helps the hole play shorter than the yardage.  The second shot is slightly elevated.  It's a very inviting opening hole that's not going to ruin your round off the bat.

First green

Hole #2 short par 3

This pretty, short hole is surrounded by dunes on three sides.

Hole #2 green

Hole #3 short par 4

The hole plays like a semi-circle from right to left.  You can either go around the tall grass or try to drive over the trouble.  I think over time a bunker will be placed in front of the green to make going for it a little more questionable.

Notice the fairway just right of center.  The green lies straight ahead, in line with the tee box.

Approach to the green from about 70 yards.

The green

Hole #4 short par 4

A good long drive can make the green but if you come up short, there is a good chance the ball will not be found.  The left side should be favored.  Then, you face an uphill second shot with no more than a wedge (it played downwind).  Still, the second is not easy to hold the green in firm, fast conditions.

This is what the second looks like from the fairway.

The green

Hole #5  Short par 4 (that played extermely long in the wind)  350 yds, driver 3 iron short.

This hole is a slight dogleg left.  The approach is slightly uphill and the green slopes from the left to right.  But don't go too far left because it then drops off to the tall grass.

Approach

Hole #6 Long par 5

This hole was previously a landing strip for small aircraft.  It's a fairly straight away hole with an uphill approach.  The green falls away to the back.  As with many holes on the course, the approach is not difficult to hold against the prevailing wind.  However, if it shifts from the north, any shot that ends on the green is a good one.

The approach shot

From above the green

Hole #7  Long par 4

This is where the course gets very interesting.  Elevated tee shot from a dune into a valley surrounded by dunes.  The approach is best played by a running shot to a green with a mild false front.

From the fairway

From the front of the green

From above the green

Hole #8  Short par 4

Generally a lay up off the tee into the wind.  You must carry a depression in the fairway that's only about 150 yards off the tee, but if you don't, you could lose your ball in heavy rough.  The short approach is to a fantastic green that's banked by a large dune to the right and a deep bunker on the left.  Tremendous slope from back to front on the green.

From the fairway

Hole #9  Short par 4

This hole is a dogleg left.  The tee shot should be laid up in the fairway.  The approach can either be bumped up the slope to the green or flown in if the wind is not severe.  Short is better than long here, as the rough is very tall if you hit over the green.  This I tell from first hand experience.  Depending on where the tee shot ends up, the player can easily face the first blind approach of the round.

From the fairway

Hole #10 Medium length uphill par 4

Pretty straightforward tee shot between dunes on the right and a severe drop off on the left.  The approach is uphill to a green that falls from left to right.

From the fairway

Hole #11 very long par 3 (into the wind!)

What a spectacular hole!  The tee and green sit around the same elevation.  However, you must carry about 150 yards of glen about 50 ft below the level of tee and green.  Tee shot was directly into the wind (pured a 2 iron about 160 yards, 30 short).  Also, the sea is directly in the background, behind the green.

At the green

Hole #12 long par 5

The tee shot is elevated.  One drives down into a little valley.  Only from there does the real fun begin.  Few par 5s have much excitement for the second shot, but this, like #10 at Machrihanish does so greatly.  The second is to be played up over a dune.  If you take the more aggressive line straight at the green, the fairway is very narrow.  However, there is the option of playing to the right where it is more open.  The line to the green is better from the left.  Regardless of where you lay up, the green is elevated and guarded by a large, natural bunker.  The green slopes from front to back and right to left.

From the fairway

Hole #13  short par 4

You actually skirt the dunes on this hole.  It's a sharp dogleg left.  The approach is uphill and the green slopes dramatically from back to front.

From the fairway

From above the green

Hole #14 short par 3

Now you're back in the dunes.  The tee and green both sit on sand bluffs.  You must carry the green, about 125 yds to the front.  If you're not on the green, you probably have a tough shot because there is fall off on three sides.  The view is spectacular.

From the tee

From short of the green

From behind the green

Hole #15 short par 4

Do not go right!!  Severe drop off into tall grass.  The hole is primarily characterized by the natural bowl of a green.  You ideally want to run the ball down into the bowl and hope it stays there.  You can fly the ball on, but downwind it's hard to hold the green.  This green will need a little work if the speeds are increased.

From the fairway

Hole #16  short par 4

The tee shot is elevated down to a valley.  This hole is also made by the aproach.  The green sits about 25 ft above fairway level.  It is not really possible to run the ball on because there is some tall grass to stop it.  It is also nearly impossible to hold the upper portion of the green, where the flag is usually located.  I would say that it was the most difficult short iron shot I have ever played.

From the fairway

From behind the green

Hole #17  medium length par 3

You are forced to carry about 140 yards of rubbish to a green that slopes from back to front.  It's probably better to miss short right to have the best short shot to the hole.  Short and left is no good, as there is tall grass and the player will be faced with a difficult, uphill shot.

From behind the green

Hole #18 short par 5

This is a sharp dogleg to the left.  The drive leaves the dunes and goes to the level of the neighboring farmland.  For the second shot, there is more room to the left than appears from the fairway.  The approach to the green makes one favor the left side, as the land tilts to the right.

From the fairway

From behind the green

Kalen Braley

Re: The soul of golf.......Askernish
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »
Steve,

Thanks a ton for posting those pics...if that's not minimalism, then I don't know what it is.  That was outstanding and looks like an absolute blast to play.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:11:14 AM »
Cool, but sad to see the frilly edged bunker has even made its way to Askernish:

What a blight.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Chuck Brown

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »
I was just about to ask about that bunker.  How many bunkers are there at Askernish? 

And Michael, what exactly is wrong with that bunker in the picture?

Thanks very much for these pictures!  I think that one of the best retellings of the Askernish story is the one from The New Yorker; I know a link was earlier posted here at GCA and should be easy enough to find at The New Yorker's highly-efficient website.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »

Steve

Many thanks for posting all the photos. You certainly seem to have been blessed with the Spirit of the Game.

Did you travel up to Stornoway or stay close to Askernish? Can you post how you found the travel (in time and cost) for others to understand?

Kalen

Not minimalism but a REAL golf course, Scottish style, hence why we talk so much about the Spirit of the Game.

Again many thanks Steve

Melvyn

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 11:52:56 AM »

THat place is like going back in time. I wonder about the speed of the greens. Thanks Steve it looks peaceful. Please tell me you did not play it with your metal driver.

Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 12:04:41 PM »

Chuck

There are bunkers and there are sand traps and there are sheep pens, you may be referring to the Crofters sheep pen. Whatever, it has to be much better than a great big sod(ding) lake. ;)

Melvyn

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »

Is a sheep pen the same thing as a henway?

Anthony

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »
And Michael, what exactly is wrong with that bunker in the picture?

1.  It evidences man's intrusion upon nature.
2.  Its use is imported (think pond at The Eden)
3.  It's style is in vogue (think Bob Huntley wearing one of Anthony Kim's belt buckles)
4.  Its cleanliness is a juxtaposition to the course's ruggedness.
5.  Its placement front and center in close proximity to the green, coupled with its size (primarily width) is an afront to the ground game
6.  It requires maintenance on a low maintenance course
7.  It dominates the scene, diverting one's eyes from the spectacular background
8.  It requires the unnecessary expenditure for a rake

Otherwise, I have no problem with it.

Mike  

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 12:42:42 PM »
Thanks very much for these pictures!  I think that one of the best retellings of the Askernish story is the one from The New Yorker; I know a link was earlier posted here at GCA and should be easy enough to find at The New Yorker's highly-efficient website.

Can someone that has full access to the New Yorker's archives either post the link to the full article or send it to me via email (george.freemanjr@gmail.com)? 

Thanks in advance!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 04:13:44 PM »
Thank you so much for these I was wondering, it looks a delight.  I'm surprised they don't put some ropes around the greens and have the sheep do the work?

Melvyn I'll ask you this.  Do you think they overplay the Old Tom aspect a little or am I missing something?  Clearly there was a course by him there, but this new course had no plans or photo's to follow so it's not a reconstruction or a refurbishment.  Possibly a palimpsest. Yes it's so true to the spirit of golf but but today’s course is not an OTM one in any meaningful way? 

Let's make GCA grate again!

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 05:06:22 PM »
Tony -

In addition, I recall the GolfWorld magazine article on Askernish saying that land, where some of the holes of the original course were located, was washed into the sea due to coastal erosion.

DT

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for the pictures! I cant wait to play there (in about a months time hopefully!)  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 07:28:11 PM »

Tony & David

I think the most important thing is the current course and how it plays irrespective of money or old associations.

Askernish is a modern lesson to all developers, architects and golfers alike. It displays that where there is a will there is a way. It’s not all about money and greed but about commitment to the game and the community. Something that the R&A should take time to study.  It has not taken millions to build, yes, it may be more the exception than the rule but its golf as we like, it is about us, the ordinary golfer and what we can do to preserve the game.

No old drawings have been found, but we are still searching for them. That is not to say they are not still around, because during our search we have uncovered the original 1891 map of Brora, West Kilbride, Lamlash, Cruden Bay, Newburgh, Aberdeen (Balgownie) & Peterhead, plus many more.

To obtain the exact information you require you need to speak to Gordon Irvine who was actually responsible for the survey of the lost course. Gordon has I believe uncovered much of the original course and in particular the Greens and yes over time one or two parts of the course has suffered from erosion from the sea storms, the 12 seems to ring a bell but you need to get that confirmed by Gordon.

As for Old Tom connection, that he built a course on this site for Lady Cathcart is not in dispute. I have uncovered some 3 to 4 different articles on the subject, others have also added to the finds. How much of the original course is actually in play is a very good question, yet somehow I expect that Gordon will not have been that far out due to the time and effort he took over Askernish, nor should we forget Martin Ebert of Mackenzie & Ebert GCA for his involvement in trying to find the original course. Last of all but certainly not least, the men & women of South Uist in their belief in themselves to resurrect a real quality, fun and enjoyable golf course. The result I believe honours the great traditions of the Scottish Game of Golf.

In closing I again believe we should be concentrating on the fun and enjoyment offered by the current 18 hole course. All questions re the construction please refer to the club or directly to Gordon. I hope I have answered the questions raised.

Melvyn

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 07:35:04 PM »
Great pics, got to get there some day.
Michael, curious what the bunker would look like that you'd use on the course. Another point, if this is a "restored" gutty era course, golf of that era was airborne not ground game (unless mis-hit). Unless you want to mod it for the contemporary game I view that bunker as entirely appropriate.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 09:35:21 PM »
Ralph, first it was great to meet you at Kingsley.  That said, what percentage of golfers at Askernish will actually play a gutty?

I wouldn't use a bunker at all, but if someone held a gun to my head I would merely scar the ground and let nature follow suit to create a deep but narrow bunker that could be skirted to sneak a ball around it off the bank right of the green, bearing in mind that I'm only looking at a two dimensional photograph of the hole.  Alternatively one could simply dig a pot and stack some sod on the green side, but I sure as heck wouldn't flash any sand - its visually offensive. 

That bunker is uglier than a bowling shoe, which like today's spashed up frilly edged bunker was somehow fashionable just a few short years ago. 

Kindest regards,

Mike

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 01:41:26 AM »
Michael
I wouldn't want nor expect anyone to play gutty there. I would, but that is a whole other issue...
I think you mis-read my response. I had said "if this is a "restored" gutty era course" as a response to your questioning the lack of a run-up being available. Gutty golf was an airborne game (contrary to the old wives tales) and that bunker would be a valid hazard of the period.
I see natural bunkers (worn areas in the side of sand deposits) here in Michigan when driving north of Cadillac that have a raw resemblence to that bunker. You can call it frilly, it just looks time worn and ragged to me. Of course it will have some maintained cleanness but think that would be expected. If animals wear an area in the side of a sandy humps/small dunes the will look "flashed up" as I doubt the animals would have reveted that worn area.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:10:14 AM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 12:42:10 PM »
Ralph,

Let's take your argument one step forward (actually backward) and require the use of a feathery at Askernish.  Then they could add a pond to see if it floats. ;)

Mike

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 12:56:40 PM »

Mike

Sorry Mate, you have gone just too far back, pre 1850’s. A little bit of common sense should always be allowed to surface otherwise it shows how bankrupt and pointless some points of view can become.

So with the most sincere respect take your Feathery and do what you have to do. ;)

Melvyn

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »
Ralph,

Let's take your argument one step forward (actually backward) and require the use of a feathery at Askernish.  Then they could add a pond to see if it floats. ;)

Mike

You lost me. I have no clue where you are going with this comment. I don't understand why you would go back another generation, especially when it pre-dates the course. Are you suggesting bunkers didn't exist/weren't in use on this course when it was established in 1891?
BTW, Feather ball era was ground game.
       Our Fearless Leader

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Gawd, I'm so beginning to sound like a grumpy old man, that I'm even beginning to p*ss myself off,
but,
don't these pics prove that you don't need to employ faux antiquity to create a bloody marvellous golf course? Just use what the drama and mirth of ole' mother earth gives ya, and see what can happen.
These pics gave me chills as much as a pic of CPC #15 does. I NEED to get to Askernish very soon. WOW!
If you're not moved looking at these, you need therapy (or a damn good Single Malt!!!)
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 05:45:08 PM »

If you're not moved looking at these, you need therapy (or a damn good Single Malt!!!)

Alleluia Brother Marty, Alleluia

Melvyn

Mike Hendren

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 06:35:35 PM »
Melvyn and Ralph, thank you for sharing that knowledge, which you thought was superior.  I'll try to coach you both better next time through the use of smilies.  

Melvyn,

Do you like the bunker or not?  Check one:

Yes ____
No  ____

I am willing to agree to a 30 days moratorium on posting on GCA if more posters like that bunker than do not.  Please feel free to establish a separate thread for that proposition.  You lose nothing if I am correct.

Kindest regards, ;)

Bogey
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:39:24 PM by Michael_Hendren »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »

Mike

I have no problem with bunkers, but I do like them more penal.

Superior, no. perhaps we just know what we are talking about.

Back to Askernish & Golf
Interesting links just flashed on my screen http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sos-sports-columnists/John-Huggan-Wide-open-spaces.5601250.jp

Melvyn

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 08:35:17 AM »
The bunker that Michael is talking about doesn't fit the course, neither does the one at greenside, hole #8.

The course looks almost untouched in every other regard. All the 'hazardous' situations, other than the two bunkers, look like they were 'created' by wind and/or animals.

Look at the greensite on hole #7, then contrast it with the greensite on hole #8
Look at the bunker Michael references and contrast it with the fairway 'bunkers' on hole #10

The difference is 150 years, give or take a decade.

My vote would be to grass it over, scratch the surface up a bit, and then leave it alone to evolve on its own.

Place looks great otherwise, and an anachronism or two wouldn't stop me from going there.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:36:51 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back