News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Parish

Old Head Worth It?
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:11:10 PM »

Need some insight from those more qualified to make the decision than eight guys who have only seen pictures.  I am in the throws of planning a trip to Ireland next summer.  So far, I have worked out three different iteneraries which look at a different three (though not entirely distinct) set of courses.  While I will likely seek comments on which set of courses the GCA collective would recommend of the three, for now my inquiry is rather simple.  In planning an itenerary focusing on the West, (i.e., Waterville, Doonbeg, Lahnich, Ballybunion, and up to Carne), would anyone make it a point to go to Kinsale to play Old Head?  The setting is certainly spectacular.  And I know you cannot entirely remove the aesthetics, but is the golf course as good as the views?

Sean Leary

Re: Old Head Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »
Worth every penny once. After that, nah.

Good golf course in an incredible place.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:56:31 AM by Sean Leary »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:40:17 PM »
Matthew,

Sean is correct. Old Head is worth seeing once, but not really worth a return visit.
Tim Weiman

Ron Csigo

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »
Yes, it's definitely worth it.  Plus, Kinsale is a neat town to hang out in for a night.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:04:27 AM »
I am not a huge fan of the course but it is still one of the coolest places on earth.   I am glad I visited there and remember it more fondly than Doonbeg or Waterville. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 12:08:17 AM »
Tom Doak says 18 mediocre holes crammed in where a world class 9 hole golf course could have been built.
Least that is my recollection of his assessment. The word mediocre is mine, but probably not far off what he wrote.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 02:41:36 AM »
"would anyone make it a point to go to Kinsale to play Old Head?  The setting is certainly spectacular.  And I know you cannot entirely remove the aesthetics, but is the golf course as good as the views? "

It certainly is worthwhile to visit Kinsale for the cuisine but not neccesarily for the golf at Old Head. I am afraid that the animus from the local population to the proprietors of Old Head is not conducive to a harmonius round..

Bob

Jack_Marr

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 03:04:45 AM »
Yes, the owner's attitude is "stuff the locals".

It is a spectacular golf course, but I don't think this land should have been used for a golf course.

Barbed wire and a security guard meet you at the gate. You better have your story straight if you want to get in. After that there's someone to bring your clubs to the first tee and all that stuff. Well I can do that myself.

However, once you get on the course, it's pure exhilaration. If the purpose of golf is enjoyment, then this ticks the boxes. j

I wouldn't agree that all the holes are mediocre, but I'm not an expert in this regard.

Best of all, you can get out there much cheaper than before. If you play at certain times, you can get a round in for less than €100.
John Marr(inan)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 06:05:39 AM »
I was just there a few months ago.  Old Head is hurting like no other course in Ireland.  They are offering deals that are off the map.  Something like - two days of stay and unlimited play for what it once cost for a single round.  (I didn't even know that they had 15 or so apartments on the property.)  Now may be the best time to see OH.  JC

Jim Tang

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 08:26:49 AM »
As mentioned by others here, I would say Old Head is worth seeing one time.  I was there this past July and played 36 holes.  I thought the holes that play away from the cliffs, on the inside of the property, were pretty average.  However, there are several one of a kind golf holes out there, and the cliff side holes are a lot of fun to play.  The views and visual imagery are spectacular and for that reason alone, Old Head is a great place to spend a day.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:44:08 AM »
Old Head is worth a visit always...on the west you could also add Tralee.....Waterville,Tralee, Ballybunion,Lahinch,Doonbeg aint bad...RHE

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
I'd have said no, but 2 rounds, B&B for 300 euro until end of October has even got me thinking!
Cave Nil Vino

Matthew Parish

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
Thanks to all for the input.  I agree with the thoughts on Kinsale.  I actually stayed in Kinsale for about three days some eight years ago and loved the town, but that was a trip I took with two non-golfers (best friend and sister) who convinced me the sticks should be left at home.  I looked at Old Head's website yesterday, and they listed a "GUI Twilight" rate.  Any idea what GUI means?

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 11:14:53 AM »
Golfing Under the Influence. ie. you gotta have six Guinnesses first.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »
Golf Union Ireland member

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 11:48:53 AM »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 11:59:29 AM »
My pal is usually too busy writing down his score on his scorecard with his pencil to look at the golf course.  Other than scenery he has little appreciation for golf architecture.  Old Head was his favorite on a trip to Ireland that included Ballybunion and Lahinch.  I haven't been there so no comment.

Except this - are there two parallel fairways on that narrow peninsula at the end of the headland?  i.e.  How do you get back from out there?

Beautiful photos from Aidan as always.  Those are mouthwatering!

Jack_Marr

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 12:01:19 PM »
The second last picture is your tee shot at the 12th, I think. Most amazing tee shot in Irish golf, I'd say.
John Marr(inan)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »

Except this - are there two parallel fairways on that narrow peninsula at the end of the headland?  i.e.  How do you get back from out there?

Bill, there's an interactive map of the course at this address - http://oldhead.com/golf/tour-the-course/
John Marr(inan)

Dan Boerger

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 12:15:55 PM »

Yes - it's worth it IMO.

As stated here -- some amazing cliff side holes.

Also, a great clubhouse for post-round activities.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Dub_ONeill

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 12:32:21 PM »
I would join the chorus in favor of playing at Old Head.  With decent weather it provides an unforgettable day.  I think the tee box at twelve is the most amazing I have seen anywhere, not just in Ireland.  If your schedule suggests another play in the area, the Cork Golf Club is a neat, more modestly priced place to play less than an hour from Kinsale.  We drove there from Shannon the day we arrived and then went on to Kinsale overnight.  It plays through an old quarry and along the estuary on the outskirts of Cork.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »
It is a must play for many reasons.

You did not mention if you are planning a trip for a group. If you are, then Old Head can't miss as being one of the favorites for the average golfer.

IMO, you will only hear criticism of Old Head when speaking to links purists and/or GCA geeks. It is often referred to as "eye candy" here, or a "dumb blonde" course, but all my golfing buddies like dumb blondes :)

The setting is incredibly striking and there are some great golf shots. Since you are hanging out on this website, you might enjoy contrasting the golf holes at Old Head with BB and the other courses that you wil play.

Matthew Parish

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 12:48:57 PM »
Aidan, 

Believe me, I have seen your shots of Old Head, and those more than anything else caught the attention of the guys in my group.  Thanks for sharing again. 

I believe I have a consensus. 

MP

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 12:58:27 PM »

Bill, there's an interactive map of the course at this address - http://oldhead.com/golf/tour-the-course/

Thanks, Jack, that's a great routing.  Does look like quite a hike from the 17th green to the 18th tee, and yes, there is just one fairway out on that head.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 12:59:41 PM »
I would join the chorus in favor of playing at Old Head.  With decent weather it provides an unforgettable day.  I think the tee box at twelve is the most amazing I have seen anywhere, not just in Ireland.  If your schedule suggests another play in the area, the Cork Golf Club is a neat, more modestly priced place to play less than an hour from Kinsale.  We drove there from Shannon the day we arrived and then went on to Kinsale overnight.  It plays through an old quarry and along the estuary on the outskirts of Cork.

And, for the GCA.com geeks, Cork is a Mackenzie course!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back