News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Re: Could Doak Build a '10' on the Moon?
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »
'He could build an 11 on the moon somehow' was probably too many syllables to fit.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 05:37:52 PM »
I thought it was funny too...

But you really need to watch the original version in Scott's post to get the jist of what its supposed to mean/be about!!

John Kirk

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 05:38:14 PM »
Yeah, Jim...but you could be one of those toaster guys from Jamaica and just rapid fire it in there.

John_Cullum

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 06:13:58 PM »
I am just curious as to who is responsible
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »
John

Perhaps you should ask the families of our dead soldiers who died in Afghanistan & Iraqi the same question and see if it is still funny. Somehow, I do not think they will see the funny side, do you?

However, re this post the only opinion that matters is that of  Tom D himself.

Melvyn

John Kirk

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »
Melvyn,

You are attempting to redirect the focus of this thread onto soldiers and war.

"Don't take that tone with me, young man.  I fought the war for your sort."
"I bet you're sorry you won."

There's a long tradition of older generations shaking their heads at the ways of the younger generation that succeeds them.  Artistic expression moves forward, searching for new territory to explore.  At 50 years old, I think most modern music is crap.  Either it's been done before, or it's blatantly commercial, or it's not very musical, like much of modern rap music.

But here we have one of our own members, developing his own satire to a fairly well-known comedy skit (seen on Saturday Night Live).  The lyrics fit; they're a form of hero worship, and are funny and defiant.  This is extremely clever, and I think it's one of the better contributions to the site in months.  It's ridiculously profane, but the guy who wrote it is quite the geek.

Are you saying old soldiers should discourage this sort of creativity?

John Kirk

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 06:51:53 PM »
Finally, whether Tom Doak likes this is irrelevant.  But he should, because it's funny.

JC Jones

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 07:07:58 PM »
"I use my ground game because its light and so crisp"
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 07:21:34 PM »
That was pretty damn funny - some of the phrases are creative to boot - some video to go with it would have put the track into the stratosphere - absolutely hilarious.

Renaissance will be kickin' this whenever they go to meet clients.

Architectin' up in this joint! or something.

Richard Choi

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 07:29:55 PM »
I agree, we need to create a video of this.

Picture it, if you will...

Jim Coulton, Matt Schulte, and Ben Sims sitting at the kitchen table. Jim opens a cereal box and finds a winning ticket for 3 some at Ballyneal. Jim says "Matt you're in!'. Jim looks over Ben (Ben smiling), then says, (pan the camera) "Justin (as in JT!) you're in!".

Next shot: Jim, Matt, JT sporting some fancy argoyle sweaters, sunglasses, and gold plated hickory shaft putter posing at the 18th green at Ballyneal.

How cool would that be??!!! (You can substitue Ran or TD for JT)...

Tim Bert

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 07:51:33 PM »

Jim Coulton, Matt Schulte, and Ben Sims sitting at the kitchen table. Jim opens a cereal box and finds a winning ticket for 3 some at Ballyneal. Jim says "Matt you're in!'. Jim looks over Ben (Ben smiling), then says, (pan the camera) "Justin (as in JT!) you're in!".

Next shot: Jim, Matt, JT sporting some fancy argoyle sweaters, sunglasses, and gold plated hickory shaft putter posing at the 18th green at Ballyneal.

Whoa... I think I was first to suggest the video.  No way I'm getting left off the Doak.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 08:05:53 PM »
Vaguely stalkerish... If I was Tom D I would not dare respond, since the next time he comes across these 'artists' could be when they are pounding on his door at 7 in the morning, demanding to be taken to Crystal Downs immediately for a complimentary round of golf.

Next!

John_Cullum

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 08:12:46 PM »
John

Perhaps you should ask the families of our dead soldiers who died in Afghanistan & Iraqi the same question and see if it is still funny. Somehow, I do not think they will see the funny side, do you?

However, re this post the only opinion that matters is that of  Tom D himself.

Melvyn

Melvyn

First, you should not presume I think it's funny. I have not expressed opinion one way or the other.. It is without question very creative. So get off your high horse. This ain't life and death

John
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:21:40 PM by John_Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jim Colton

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 08:16:26 PM »
Do I qualify as a B-Boy?  I've only played 2 of TD's courses (granted, they are my top 2).

Personally, I would pay good money to see Adam Clayman in top hat in the T-Pain role.  Although with his pelvic issues, I'm not sure if he could pull off that cool high-step move.  Adam'd be all over the 'Mermaid' however.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:33:27 PM by Jim Colton »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »
I understand where Melvyn was coming from with his initial post. I suspect he had never heard of the the song "I'm on a boat" before and did not realize "I'm on a Doak" was a parody of that song which itself was more or less making fun of the excessiveness of rap videos and music.  Without this context and given the language used, I can easily imagine how someone would not find the song funny at all.  To be honest, my first thought on hearing it was to wonder how Doak would feel about the song.

The production is clever and a funny way to poke fun at the hero worship that some say goes on with GCA geeks.  But I would be surprised if everyone liked it.  And they shouldn't.  Question is - could it be as funny with lyrics that could be posted on the site?  Not sure.

As to the quoted scene in Hard Days Night, the first time that I saw that I thought it was hilarious.  However, after reading Melvyn's comment, I can also see how with a different perspective one might not find that scene funny at all.  If you were someone that had lost a brother or son in WWII, would you have laughed at that scene in the movie?  Should you have laughed?  Perspective makes all the difference.  I think it's pretty innocent humor, but again see how someone else might not agree. 

Lighten up on Melvyn.  He's certainly entitled to his own viewpoint here.  And he's no more right or wrong than any of the rest of us.  It's an opinion that he should feel free to post.

John Kirk

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 10:23:09 PM »
I may be tone deaf, but I cannot understand how the line from A Hard Day's Night could possibly offend anyone.          
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:29:21 PM by John Kirk »

Brent Carlson

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 10:56:29 PM »
That was a bit crude but nevertheless the funniest thing i have ever seen on this site.  Well done.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 10:58:24 PM »
sand hills ain't shiit next to ballyneal   
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

TEPaul

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 11:06:19 PM »
"Could Tom Doak build a '10' on the Moon?"

What kind of bullshit question and topic is that anyway?

Perhaps, a better and more appropriate question on here would be; "Have the recent participants on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com "completely" lost their way to even post and address a thread subject like this??!!"

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:07:57 PM by TEPaul »

Tim Bert

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 11:10:34 PM »
PacDunes would 10 & 8 any TPC

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ben Sims

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 11:28:14 PM »
Charlie,

Is that beer or Kool-aid?  I've been accused of drinking both...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »
I may be tone deaf, but I cannot understand how the line from A Hard Day's Night could possibly offend anyone.          

I don't see it as being offensive to many people at all, if any.  I was commenting on how someone might not find it funny.  There is a pretty big difference between not finding it funny and truly being offended.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 11:33:36 PM »
Is that beer or Kool-aid?

It's my defense in the forthcoming lawsuit!  ;)
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Jason Walker

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 11:39:36 PM »
"Could Tom Doak build a '10' on the Moon?"

What kind of bullshit question and topic is that anyway?

Perhaps, a better and more appropriate question on here would be; "Have the recent participants on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com "completely" lost their way to even post and address a thread subject like this??!!"

TEPaul
The easy answer is "YES"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back