News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

K. Krahenbuhl

Greensboro/Durham Area Golf
« on: August 24, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »
I was able to watch some of the tournament at Sedgefield yesterday and the course looked to be great fun.  For someone visiting the area what other courses should be on the radar?  I heard mention of Hope Valley CC during the broadcast - any opinions on it?  Others nearby?

Wade Whitehead

Re: Greensboro/Durham Area Golf
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:17:45 AM »
Tot Hill Farm isn't far from Greensboro.

WW

TX Golf

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:35:02 AM »
Kyle,

I don't know any courses.... but will be interested to read some responses as my brother is going to school and Elon.... I guess I could always drive the extra hour or so and play tobacco road or pinehurst!!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »
Though private, I recommend Forest Oaks - an Ellis Maples design enhanced by Love Design Group and a recent short term venue for the GGO.   Thanks to the excellent redo, a hit parade of green contouring, including a nice biarritz at the par five 2nd. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:59:03 AM »
Thanks guys...keep 'em coming.

Anybody been to Old Chatham in Durham?

Greg Krueger

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:03:02 PM »
Kyle, the best value I have ever experienced is a course in High Point called Oak Hollow. It is a early Pete Dye that is very, very enjoyable to play. I think I paid $39.00 on a weekend morning (Includes Cart). Great property with alot of variety.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »
The other two that get mentioned frequently here are Old Town and Tanglewood in Winston-Salem.  Both privates.

What you really need to know is that those two, Sedgefield, and Tot Hill are within an easy drive of Lexington, NC, home of some of the world's best barbecue.  It's Eat-Till-You-Hurt good.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:18:50 PM by Jason McNamara »

Chris Buie

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 01:20:06 PM »
Hope Valley is a private Donald Ross course in Durham - which is about 50 minutes away from Greensboro.  Bryan Park is the public course some friends like in Greensboro.  I haven't played it.  It is Rees Jones, for better or worse.  Tot Hill in Asheboro is not maybe 40 minutes away from Greensboro.  The drive to Asheboro is a lot easier than the drive to Durham.
Between this thread and my last thread for recommendations in D.C. it seems like it might be a good idea to put together a web reference section with recommendations for public courses in the the various metropolitan areas.  Just an idea that occurred to me.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 01:26:59 PM »
Tanglewood is public I believe. (Clemmons, NC). One 18 hosted the PGA. Was that a Lee Trevino win?
Old Town is very private. (Winston Salem, NC)
Grandover is a resort, 36 holes, in Greensboro, NC.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 02:35:07 PM »
Between this thread and my last thread for recommendations in D.C. it seems like it might be a good idea to put together a web reference section with recommendations for public courses in the the various metropolitan areas.  Just an idea that occurred to me.

The Delicious threads are sort of a way to address this.  Not perfect, but a start.

Jason

ps to Bruce:  thanks for the correction; edit made.

hhuffines

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 03:24:47 PM »
Kyle,

Old Chatham is an exclusive golf club with a Rees Jones course and nice practive facility.  They have been in the news lately for giving our Gov. a comped membership.  Havent been there lately but its a secluded course in excellent condition.  The Greensboro CC has a fun old Ross course in town and an Ellis Maple course north of town which is being redone by Steele I believe.  Ross has a nine holer
in Reidsville, NC with a few of good holes.  The barbeque there is at Short Sugar's.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 03:32:48 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. 

Any thoughts on the Duke course?

rjsimper

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 03:35:46 PM »
I can speak to the courses east of Greensboro (as a Durham resident)

In Burlington is Alamance Country Club - pretty much next to Elon U.  It's private, Ross (recently restored) and an excellent, sporty, fun golf course with huge greens (by Ross standards).

I am a member at Mill Creek in Mebane...which is about midway between Durham and G'Boro. It's semi-private (read: Public) and challenging - Robbins/Lussier/Koch design credit, it's kind of a prototypical semi-private mid 90s course....

The Challenge is in Graham, a little closer to G'boro than Durham, and has some fun holes (and some dumb holes) also semi private/public

Of the privates, Hope Valley I have not yet played but it looks very cool driving through the area.
Old Chatham is Rees and I like it very much - wide corridors, long, EXCELLENT greens...very rolling terrain
Governors Club can be discussed with more knowledge by others on this site.
Chapel Hill CC is short, narrow, and mostly a good members course but not really worth going out of your way
Duke and Finley are from all accounts, comparable and good public courses (I have only played Duke)
Treyburn in North Durham is Fazio and supposed to be pretty decent.
Hillandale is the everyman's muni of Durham and from what I hear has some interesting holes.
Chapel Ridge is in Pittsboro, south of Durham, and is a new-ish course that I hear is fun...not very mature, though.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head...Of the above courses, Alamance is definitely my favorite layout.

rjsimper

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. 

Any thoughts on the Duke course?

Duke's course, much like their basketball team, is IMO chronically overrated.  It's not a bad course, but it just strikes me as a fairly typical Carolinas golf course...cut out of a pine forest, some good holes, some bad holes, many long holes, nothing too fun, nothing too offensive.  Solid yet unspectacular I would say. Overpriced at what they charge for standard weekend fees...no public course outside of the Pinehurst area merits a $100 fee on a Saturday.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 03:49:29 PM »
I realize it's a bit further afield (strictly speaking, on the wrong side of RDU for this discussion), but since we're in the general area, what about The Neuse just east of Raleigh?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 04:08:10 PM »
Thanks for all of the info Ryan.

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »
Kyle:  I liked the Duke course.  Not incredible, but fun.  I also really liked a few of  the holes on the Treyburn course.  One of the holes, I think it is #13, has a great putt that appears to break up hill.  Worth a visit. 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »
The Duke course is certainly worth playing once.

Lots of guys I know enjoy driving down from Virginia to play Greensboro National.

WW

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 04:52:38 PM »
Though private, I recommend Forest Oaks - an Ellis Maples design enhanced by Love Design Group and a recent short term venue for the GGO.  

Bogey

Bogey:

Short term? Just about every course on Tour is a "short term" venue by your definition  ;)

Sobe

Chris Buie

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 06:17:46 PM »
Duke is an ok course - maybe a bit more than sufficient.  Worth playing if you are in the neighborhood but not worth a drive IMHO.  I played it a lot when I lived in the area - late 80'/early 90's - because it was $18 and a pretty good walking course.  It is challenging.  Finley at UNC was not too good at the time.  I think they have re-worked it since then.  I remember Finley being very much clay soil.  If it had rained within the past couple of days your pants would be orange after your round.  Anathema to a sandy loam Pinehurst guy.
We also used to play this hilarious 9 holer just south of Chapel Hill called Twin Lakes.  We called it Twin Puddles.  Still it was fun: $6 and wide open.  Perfect for college kids skipping a boring lecture.
On the other end of the spectrum geographically and aesthetically is Roaring Gap.  I think round about an hour west of Greensboro.  Ran profiled it a while back.  I am told the club is exquisite and the course is very good - private.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 07:23:54 PM »
As Ryan said, the Duke course is fine, a fairly typical course cut out of the pines.

I played it four times in the four years my son went there, so at $50,125 per round, I felt it was slightly overpriced.

Kyle,

If you hang out on this site, you have an obligation to play Tobacco Road and form your own opinion! (Not to mention all the Ross courses in the  Pinehurst area!)

A.G._Crockett

Re: Greensboro/Durham Area Golf New
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 07:58:16 PM »
Kyle,
You've gotten a lot of good info here;  I grew up in Durham and went to UNC, still get back there several times a year and play golf each time.  I grew up about 5 blocks from Hillandale, and my parents (now in their 80's) still live in the house I grew up in.  My wife lived three blocks down the street from me, and her mom still lives in THAT house!  So to me, there is no more fun day in all of golf that playing Hillandale with my brother or some HS buddies, even though we're all pushing 60 now.  It is the quintessential public course, and golf the way it used to be.  You are liable to get paired up with almost anybody of any race, ethnicity, and occupation; a Dook professor, a factory worker, anything.

Hope Valley is terrific if you can get a hookup.  Ross circa 1926, still original routing, beautifully redone about 5 years ago by Ron Silva.  

Both UNC and Dook (correct spelling) are fine, but either/both can be missed with no problem.  Dook is, in fact, far overpriced; my personal opinion is that it is more about keeping the great unwashed of Durham off the course than either revenue or course quality, but that's just my opinion.  Of the two, I'd play Finley, though I have trouble recommending that.

I've played Greensboro Natl.; it's a pretty good value.  Grandover is o.k., but a bit pricey for what it is.  Bryan Park is pretty good stuff for a muni, IMO.  I like Mill Creek and the Challenge at Hideaway Farm, but they are not really must-see courses either.

I really like Tot Hill, and you're only 55 miles from Tobacco Rd., which is basically the same distance you'd drive to Durham.  I'd consider both; I think they trump anything else from the public side, and a lot of the privates.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:03:45 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back