News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: Semi-OT: Did Michelle Wie just save the LPGA?
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »
I thought the SC was compelling and thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean Eidson

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 10:47:45 AM »
I watched more ladies golf this weekend than ever.  It was fun to see them hitting clubs from distances I'm familiar with.  And MW played lights out.  She had a chance to fold when she gave up her big lead with nervous putting in the middle of the round, but came back and stepped on Alfreddson's (sp?) throat on the 18th.

And the celebrations were fun - to a point.  It seemed like EVERY shot of any substance was due about seven fist pumps when one would have been more than enough.  And then you had the caddies walking around the green trying to psych up the crowd?  Give me a break.

Apparently, Christina Kim learned golf etiquette from Shawn Merriman.

PThomas

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »
i say no Phil

i guess she played some good golf - 2-0-1 i think - but that's not like she went 5-0, or won the deciding match, etc

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 11:58:14 AM »
"She has an absolutely beautiful golf swing and it sounds like shes in good hands with her short game if she continues to work with Dave Stockton.  I hope she has turned the corner."

Jamie:

I agree with you about that completely. In the first few years Wie hit the scene like a meteorite I followed her quite a bit including officiating her group when she tried to qualify for the US Men's Publinx championship at 15. If she chipped and putted in the last three holes of that qualifier as well as her long game she would've been the medalist.

Her swing and long game are at another level to most of those LPGA players but her short game and ability to make putts more consistently was mediocre at best. But perhaps with a few years of experience behind her those weakish parts of her game have improved enough to take her to real star accomplishments on the LPGA.

Phil McDade

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »
Paul:

She was 3-0-1, and although she didn't play great down the stretch in her halved match, Pressel really left her alone on several holes, including a topped shot in the water late in the match. Adn I'd argue it wasn't just her record in the matches; it was the way she won, with bold play after bold play -- she was both aggressive and really good, which as a combination for watching golf is about as good as you can ask for (like Norman in his prime, or Tiger until the last few years ;).

I raised the question because, as has been discussed here and elsewhere, the LPGA does need a shot in the arm. Some appropriate steps seem to have been taken, such as the resignation of an overbearing commissioner, and sponsorships I'm convinced will turn around when the economy improves, which it will. The LPGA to me doesn't have to be nearly as big of a draw as the PGA, or other major sporting leagues, and it has a number of good, young players -- Creamer, Pressel, Ochoa among them -- to serve as a draw.

But sporting leagues often depend on a few big-name draws to personify the sport -- basketball I'd argue was in some trouble before Magic, Bird and esp. Jordan came along -- and Jordan had that ability -- both athletic and personality -- to transcend the sport and become an icon. I'd argue the PGA Tour was in danger of similar duldrums before Tiger came along -- he didn't rescue the Tour, but he made it a lot more compelling to watch. He's probably the most famous athlete on the planet. For years now, TV ratings and tournament crowds are noticeably higher with Tiger in the field than not. And he doesn't always have to win -- just do stuff that no one else can do, which he does fairly regularly.

I think Wie -- moreso than any other female golfer -- has that potential. I came pretty darn close to hopping in my car and driving three hours to watch her yesterday. I wonder how many other folks closer to Chicago did just that this weekend -- the crowds looked really big and enthusiastic.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 12:01:55 PM »
Not to make it sound religious, but sometimes we can only hear the truth if it is spoken by the right person. Some people may take to heart advice from geeky Dave Pelz that they would never give a second thought to from old Dave Stockton. Others may find Stockton's life experience and Tour cred much more persuasive than Pelz's appeals to "Science!".

Kind of like when you're 14, your dad can tell you something and it makes him an idiot. Your best friend tells you the same thing and he's it's the straight dope. Same truth, different listeners I guess.

Different ways of listening (learning) as well.  They could say the same thing, but in different ways that appeal to one group or another, depending on how the members of that group learn.

That's why the most important skill of a teaching pro is knowing 5 different ways to say the exact same thing.

PThomas

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 12:10:06 PM »
Paul:

She was 3-0-1, and although she didn't play great down the stretch in her halved match, Pressel really left her alone on several holes, including a topped shot in the water late in the match. Adn I'd argue it wasn't just her record in the matches; it was the way she won, with bold play after bold play -- she was both aggressive and really good, which as a combination for watching golf is about as good as you can ask for (like Norman in his prime, or Tiger until the last few years ;).

I raised the question because, as has been discussed here and elsewhere, the LPGA does need a shot in the arm. Some appropriate steps seem to have been taken, such as the resignation of an overbearing commissioner, and sponsorships I'm convinced will turn around when the economy improves, which it will. The LPGA to me doesn't have to be nearly as big of a draw as the PGA, or other major sporting leagues, and it has a number of good, young players -- Creamer, Pressel, Ochoa among them -- to serve as a draw.

But sporting leagues often depend on a few big-name draws to personify the sport -- basketball I'd argue was in some trouble before Magic, Bird and esp. Jordan came along -- and Jordan had that ability -- both athletic and personality -- to transcend the sport and become an icon. I'd argue the PGA Tour was in danger of similar duldrums before Tiger came along -- he didn't rescue the Tour, but he made it a lot more compelling to watch. He's probably the most famous athlete on the planet. For years now, TV ratings and tournament crowds are noticeably higher with Tiger in the field than not. And he doesn't always have to win -- just do stuff that no one else can do, which he does fairly regularly.

I think Wie -- moreso than any other female golfer -- has that potential. I came pretty darn close to hopping in my car and driving three hours to watch her yesterday. I wonder how many other folks closer to Chicago did just that this weekend -- the crowds looked really big and enthusiastic.

i hope she does transform the LPGA Phil...you said the LPGA needs a shot in the arm...i think they need SEVERAL shots in the arm, since they are down to about 12-15 US events next year as of right now, i believe, which to me is a shockingly low number

i know the economy has hurt them, but from what i've read it seems like Bivens' personality and (lack of ) skills came along at EXACTLY the wrong time for the tour

a prime example is Chicago:  they have no event here, in the 3rd biggest city in the country..that situation needs to be remedied asap

good luck to whomever is the next fulltime commissioner:  he/she will need it...talk about a pressure-filled job...if he doesnt succeed its possible the tour might collapse

they better pick the right person
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 01:16:29 PM »
Paul:

i hope she does transform the LPGA Phil...you said the LPGA needs a shot in the arm...i think they need SEVERAL shots in the arm, since they are down to about 12-15 US events next year as of right now, i believe, which to me is a shockingly low number

i know the economy has hurt them, but from what i've read it seems like Bivens' personality and (lack of ) skills came along at EXACTLY the wrong time for the tour

a prime example is Chicago:  they have no event here, in the 3rd biggest city in the country..that situation needs to be remedied asap

good luck to whomever is the next fulltime commissioner:  he/she will need it...talk about a pressure-filled job...if he doesnt succeed its possible the tour might collapse

they better pick the right person

I would think it would be the best kind've job to get.
nowhere to go but up.

Anecdotally, I actually watch it now as the golf is better than ever and there's some pretty good eye candy too
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 01:28:20 PM »
Michelle Wie was very good....the Golf Channel sucks....totally bad coverage....everything about it was bad.

How so?
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

George Pazin

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 02:07:45 PM »
Jeff,

In some ways, Pelz studies on break (i.e. average players allow for only half to third of average break) have their place. I often wondered if Dave was simply saying the same thing - it breaks more than you think! (and that is why you tend to miss low and I tend to make more putts)

For all the Pelz dogma, when I took his one day class, they had us all guess the break of a putt.  The actual break of that putt was exactly twice the average of the dozen guesses in our group, proving his theory in a very graphic way.

Actually, the way I read Pelz's "study", the players didn't misread the break, they misstated it to him. There is simply no way they are over-correcting in their stroke by the amount necessary if one consistently under-reads break by the amount Pelz states.

Pelz seems like a very nice guy, a very dedicated guy, etc., but I wonder if NASA isn't better off without him... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Russell Lo

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »
This Solheim cup was great for Michelle and great for the LPGA. Is she the savior? I think the LPGA needs Michelle to play well and win tournaments,but moreso needs to secure their tattered relationships with sponsors and communities that Bivens ran roughshod over.

What Michelle brings to the LPGA is a consistent buzz, good or bad, that keeps the LPGA in the topic of golf conversation. Another, more important area is the bridge she provides to both the US and Asian markets. Growing up bi-lingual she is able to communicate freely and easily with Korean and English speaking players making her extremely important as a spokesperson for Ladies Golf, if she decides to assume that privelege and responsibility. The Asian TV market is huge and with the success of the young Korean golfers it seems the market will continue to grow. It would be a luxury for the LPGA  to have someone like Michelle be able to communicate and express the passsion and concerns of two sides of the LPGA tour.

Could you imagine Tiger being multi-lingual, wait, he does have a 4 letter vocabulary.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 05:20:57 PM »

Could you imagine Tiger being multi-lingual, wait, he does have a 4 letter vocabulary.

Russell,

I don't understand this comment--lots of male pros are bilingual (Spanish, Afrikaans, etc.) although, to my knowledge, Tiger is not one of them.  You'd think he might have some Swedish. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 02:33:06 PM »
Two Questions for Michelle:

Isn't it more fun playing at your level?

Isn't it more fun without your guardian angels hanging over you all the time?

Garland is right...have cities form franchises and draft teams...Boston vs. NY vs. LA. vs Denver vs. Chicago vs. Florida, etc.  Nicklaus posited the idea in 1985 and got shot down...but I think it's better than three tour challenges and skins games.

Perhaps the time has come for this idea. Over the past 10-15 years, the public has come to understand and appreciate the Ryder Cup format much more than they did in the past. As I indicated above, having 12 mini-dramas going on simultaneously as part of the total drama is more exciting than having the single "who at the top of the leader board will put this out" drama going on.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brent Hutto

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 02:36:05 PM »
I think you could sell 10,000 tickets to see two goats butting heads as long as one of them was wearing a USA flag and the other was wearing something else.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 02:45:43 PM »
I think you could sell 10,000 tickets to see two goats butting heads as long as one of them was wearing a USA flag and the other was wearing something else.

Ha ha ha,

Touche Brent.  This one drew audible yuks indeed!!   ;D

Greg McMullin

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 02:47:01 PM »
It's hard to imagine her saving anything based on the following stats. Here are her 2009 season stats to date. Putting - 27th, GIR - 29th, Sand Saves - T36, Birdies - 10th, Top 10s - T11, Eagles - T17.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »
It's hard to imagine her saving anything based on the following stats. Here are her 2009 season stats to date. Putting - 27th, GIR - 29th, Sand Saves - T36, Birdies - 10th, Top 10s - T11, Eagles - T17.

Par 5s reached with an 8 iron second - 1st
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 06:41:17 PM »
Final placings today from the Lorena Ochoa Invitational in Mexico:

1. Michelle Wie  -13
2. Paula Creamer  -11
T3. Morgan Pressel  -10
Jiyai Shin  -10
Cristie Kerr  -10

Congrats to someone we'll watch win and win again for the next 20-plus years.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

JSlonis

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »
Good for her. Think the new commish is smiling today?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »
The skunk is off...good for her! Now its back to school on Monday?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »
I am very happy for her. What a relief for her.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2009, 07:44:29 PM »
Good for her! She was only one of four golfers to break 70 in the final round.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2009, 07:49:41 PM »
And a good week for Stanford athletes.

Alex Miller

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2009, 07:55:13 PM »
Congratulations Michelle

This was a long time coming, but following this thread's topic, nothing is saved until she wins a major. I definitely think it's coming though

PCCraig

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2009, 08:10:11 PM »
Dorm room drinks are on Michelle tomorrow night when she gets back to campus!
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back