News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

Washington D.C. Public Golf Recommendations
« on: August 23, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »
I have the dubious pleasure of working in D.C. for a couple of weeks.  In an attempt to avoid delirum tremens and other associated behavioral dilemmas I am going to try to get in a round here.  Can one of you bright lights recommend a good public course in the area?
Thanks in advance

Kalen Braley

Re: Washington D.C. Public Golf Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 12:27:38 PM »
I have the dubious pleasure of working in D.C. for a couple of weeks.  In an attempt to avoid delirum tremens and other associated behavioral dilemmas I am going to try to get in a round here.  Can one of you bright lights recommend a good public course in the area?
Thanks in advance

Chris,

I occasionally have to travel to DC as well and started this thread awhile back.  You can probably get some great ideas from this because I don't think any new courses have recently opened.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32081.0/

Kalen

Chris Buie

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »
Thanks Kalen, I'll check it out.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 12:45:03 PM »
Good catch, Kalen.  One course not mentioned in that thread is UM's course in College Park.  
http://www.golf.umd.edu/sites/courses/layout12.asp?id=690&page=39495

Good course, good shape, good price.  We took a cart because I had a flight to catch, but I would think it's very walkable.

Also it's on the way to BI airport (known to others as BWI, but c'mon, there's nothing Washington about it), if you are having to fly in there.  Oh, and the restaurant is staffed by students in the appropriate degree programs.

Chris, are you going to be in DC itself?  If not, seriously consider playing something on "your side of town."

J Sadowsky

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »
Lake Presidential is the only noteworthy new public opening.  I'd recommend the following, in order of price and then preference.

100+
Bulle Rock Golf Course (MD) - Dye
Stonewall Golf Club (VA) - Tom Jackson

90-100
Laurel Hill Golf Club (VA) - Bill Love
Whiskey Creek (MD) - Poullard and Els
Westfields (VA) - Can't remember, Couples signature
Lake Presidential is in this range (MD), but I've never played it.

60-90
Blue Mash (MD) - Hills

sub 60
Glenn Dale (MD) - Cobb
UMD (MD) - Cobb (note that this was recently rennovated, and last I checked they were only letting members play).
Falls Road (VA) - No idea
Enterprise (MD) - No idea

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »
According to the UMD course web page posted above, it is open to the public now.

In my conversation with Bill Love's associate concerning their work at Greystone north of Baltimore, I learned they did the renovation at the University of Maryland.  And he strongly encouraged me to see it.  I hope to soon.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 07:51:26 PM »
Chris:
I'd be happy to host you at my not top-100 but still pretty solid (GD #8 in Maryland) club.  Another alternative is to play Lake Presidential with a group of us, which I expect will be either 9/8 or 9/9, and will hopefully include a discussion with one of the designers. 

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 08:42:38 PM »
Lake Presidential is the only noteworthy new public opening.  I'd recommend the following, in order of price and then preference.

100+
Bulle Rock Golf Course (MD) - Dye
Stonewall Golf Club (VA) - Tom Jackson

90-100
Laurel Hill Golf Club (VA) - Bill Love
Whiskey Creek (MD) - Poullard and Els
Westfields (VA) - Can't remember, Couples signature
Lake Presidential is in this range (MD), but I've never played it.

60-90
Blue Mash (MD) - Hills

sub 60
Glenn Dale (MD) - Cobb
UMD (MD) - Cobb (note that this was recently rennovated, and last I checked they were only letting members play).
Falls Road (VA) - No idea
Enterprise (MD) - No idea

With the exception of Bulle Rock, Beechtree blew away everything on this list.

Shouldn't we add Augustine to the list?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Craig Disher

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »
Chris,
Yesterday, a friend asked me to recommend the best public course within an hour of DC and I was hard pressed to come up with a good suggestion. As Jay points out Beechtree was the class of the area although it was just on the 1 hour perimeter. I haven't played Lake Presidential but hope to join the group in early September. The other courses mentioned are fine if you need a day out but I don't think any of them are memorable. I would recommend Worthington Manor which is about 30-45 minutes nw of DC on I270. PB Dye GC is near Worthington Manor and is a good choice as well.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »
Craig makes a good point that all of these courses are outside of DC and depending on traffic can be a real hassle. Unfortunately, public options in the District are not good being headlined by East Potomac Park and Rock Creek Park. There's probably a DC public that I'm not recalling. DC really is a private golf town.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 09:32:49 PM »
In addition to the courses already mentioned, you can have a good time at Raspberry Falls in Leesburg, Cannon Ridge near Fredericksburg, or Pleasant Valley in Chantilly.

The University of Maryland Course is your best bet for public-accessible golf inside the beltway. All the others are quite a hike from downtown D.C. The next best course that isn't 45 miles away is probably Reston National in Reston, VA.

If I'm spending my own money to play somewhere other than my home club, I prefer Westfields. Solid golf in a quiet setting.

Nothing much around here is that is "must see" from a GCA perspective on the public side.

Tim

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 09:58:24 PM »

If I'm spending my own money to play somewhere other than my home club, I prefer Westfields. Solid golf in a quiet setting.

With the caveat that I haven't played Lake Presidential or Laurel Hill, and with the further caveat that Westfields isn't that convenient to places in Maryland, I agree with Tim. 

Chris Buie

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 10:12:17 PM »
My hosts/collegues have just deposited me back to my temporary domicile (Alexandria) - a bit worse for wear, I'm afraid.  I am sure tomorrow morning will be challenging for all involved.  I have only been able to glance at your responses - which do appear to be gracious and helpful.  I'll look over them a bit more closely and respond appropriately around the lunch hour tomorrow.
Best regards,
Chris

mike_beene

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 10:19:42 PM »
How far is UM course from Metro? Is the Red Line still down to one track that way?Anyone know of any ranges convenient to Metro?My office is on the Yellow line (Archives-Penn Quarter) but I haven't played in DC in a long time.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 10:59:53 PM »
The UMD stop (Green Line, btw) is about 2 miles away from the course, on the other side of campus.

If Laurel Hill isn't available but you like the price, there's also the Twin Lakes muni (36).  In Centerville, so not as convenient as Laurel Hill (which I have not played).  TL could be a bit slow, but it's just as easy to get to as Westfields and it costs 1/2 as much.  I think the Oaks course is the pick there.  Someone local will have to fill you in on how useful/futile the Fairfax County Pkwy is for getting there.

I recall Raspberry being carts required, paths only.  Is that still the case?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:25:40 PM by Jason McNamara »

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 08:48:36 AM »
The UMD stop (Green Line, btw) is about 2 miles away from the course, on the other side of campus.

If Laurel Hill isn't available but you like the price, there's also the Twin Lakes muni (36).  In Centerville, so not as convenient as Laurel Hill (which I have not played).  TL could be a bit slow, but it's just as easy to get to as Westfields and it costs 1/2 as much.  I think the Oaks course is the pick there.  Someone local will have to fill you in on how useful/futile the Fairfax County Pkwy is for getting there.

I recall Raspberry being carts required, paths only.  Is that still the case?

You can walk Raspberry but you'd be the only person doing so.  There's a few decent treks between holes that cover some pretty steep terrain but I've done it.  Carts aren't restricted to paths, unless they've had tons of rain.

Twin Lakes - Oaks Course is a fun track for the price, $48 to walk. Its a got a great muni feel lots of people with push carts and long white socks, tee sheet always full.  

Chris Buie

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 06:37:18 PM »
Hey thanks to all of you for the insight and suggestions.  I knew you guys would give a good solid perspective.  

I had not heard of Beechtree before.  I am truly appalled that they are plowing over a Doak.  My condolences to Mr. Doak and the D.C. contingent on that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:41:53 PM by Chris Buie »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 11:23:03 PM »
Dick Cheney's mouth would make a good playable hazzard at the Pentegon Muni.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 01:16:36 AM »
Wow.  Except for the spelling errors, that was a really mediocre joke.

Are some of the private courses approachable in August when the town shuts down?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 01:23:46 AM by Jason McNamara »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 08:06:19 AM »
Wow.  Except for the spelling errors, that was a really mediocre joke.

There was nothing mediocre about that joke.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 04:49:56 PM »
Played Glenn Dale (MD) for $25 two weeks ago--I have to believe that is easily the best bargain in the area (and only a few miles off the Beltway). It was an early AM tee time, walking on a Wednesday.

The course was in decent shape, and I continue to be a fan of this unsung little gem that has 7 or 8 holes I really like.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back