News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Re: starting with par 3's...
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »
Alfonso

That's a funny story and quite different from Trent Jones at Baltusrol when he holed out on the 4th to prove that his redesigned hole was fair!

Thanks for the photo it looks to be a super opener.  A real knee knocker. Is the hole similar in those old aerial photos you have?

I think I may have an old photo similar to the last one you posted, I'll check.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:36:50 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 12:45:37 PM »
Paul,

The hole plays quite similar, but as you can see the bunkering has changed over time. The cross bunker has disappeared (removed by Simpson in his 1948 remodelling) and the greenside bunkering has changed its size and orientation slightly in the Kyle Phillips remodelling (1998). The attached photo is not taken from the same playing angle than the actual tees of the hole. The hole is however a fantastic opener with great views of the mountains behind (usually with snow well into March-April).

I don't have many photos of the original course, so if you do have something it would be deeply appreciated.

Regards,

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 10:58:20 AM »
Forrest will probably be surprised to see it here, but his Paseo del Sol starts with a par 3.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Keenan

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 05:44:23 PM »
I would add Napa Country Club that opens on an interesting par 3

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back