News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cristian

Cristian

I keep going back over these pix.  The course looks awesome!  Though, it does look severely narrow on a lot of holes.  How does it play in a decent wind?

Ciao

Although the holes are not wide, the course is still very much playable in high winds (which it should, as these are very common in these parts). I think the contours make the holes look narrower than they are, and also there is usually a safe side to miss, where the rough does not mean reload but offers a chance for recovery. Also some holes will offer broader landing areas at 3-wood length offering the golfer the option to not go flat out and choose to play a longer second thus lowering the risk of a reload. Electing which club to play from the tee is a very important part of the strategies of the holes on this course. There are many short cuts and bite-offs, but if you play for all of them most players will ruin their scorecard; if you play the percentages and strategies fitting your skill, the course is playable even in high winds, something that goes for most links, but perhaps even more so for Haagsche.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:29:04 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Scott Warren

I bags Cristian as my fourball partner for Buda 2010!

Tom_Doak

Very OT, but as it happens, I've been to Haagsche twice.  The first time it was with my dad and a business associate of his, who had lived next to the course for most of his life.  During the war, he and his family had a garden out on the golf course, where the Germans would not see that they were breaking the rules of occupation.

Cristian

Very OT, but as it happens, I've been to Haagsche twice.  The first time it was with my dad and a business associate of his, who had lived next to the course for most of his life.  During the war, he and his family had a garden out on the golf course, where the Germans would not see that they were breaking the rules of occupation.

Now I wonder about the second time! (especially since I remember reading somewhere that you mentioned not having walked or played the course).

Tom_Doak

Christian:

I've walked the course but not played it.  [It's reviewed in The Confidential Guide.]  My other visit was in the summer of 1983, just before I headed back home from my year in the UK. 

Frank Pont

Tom: did you notice areas where Frank Pennink had been working on the course at that time (greens 1,2 and 13)? Out of curiosity; what was the name of the business associate, and did he play a role in the club?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back