News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

It was 74 years ago today that A.W. Tillinghast and his wife Lillian spent the day packing for a trip that they thought might last two months at the most. Little did they know just how important it would prove to be for countless numbers of PGA professionals, the golf clubs and memberships they served and for the game in general. That its effects are still being felt today, all these years later, are a testimony to what is possible.
      The Great depression was at its worst, numerous PGA professionals were out of work or not getting paid for the work they did and the PGA of America was approaching bankruptcy, and George Jacobus, then President of the PGA of America, had an idea. He convinced his good friend, Tilly, to visit courses where the Head professional was a PGA member and offer advice about the golf course for FREE! This was a gift from the PGA of America given as a way of proving the value of having a PGA professional at the club. The only stipulation was that the PGA member’s dues had to be paid up-to-date.
      Within weeks of its announcing money was flooding into the PGA and an amazing consultation service was underway. It would be responsible for improving numerous courses, eliminating many features that were both costly to maintain and a hindrance to enjoying the game for the average player. It enabled many clubs that were on the brink of insolvency to be able to survive those toughest of times. It put food on the table for many families of PGA professionals and those who worked alongside them at these clubs.
      This amazing service would last, not the two months as was planned, but more than two years. At a time when interstate travel was difficult at best, telephones were still uncommon for most and electrification in many areas of the country was a brand new technology, Tilly & Lillian traversed from New Jersey to Florida, out to Texas, Oklahoma on to Arizona & California. Up the coast and back through Colorado and the northern states to Minnesota and Illinois and back east. From there to New England and then back down around the entire country a SECOND time!
      Few are really aware of what they did, how it helped save many clubs and the PGA of America, and therefore the PGA Tour. The game as we know it today would be very different without what they accomplished.
      To honor that, I thought that it would be interesting to follow Tilly & Lillian along on this day-by-day journey. To share what they did day-by-day at the clubs they visited. To share the architectural insights and views he gave and the other surprising things that also came along quite unexpectedly.
      The best way to begin is to share an ending. Tilly was the editor of Golf Illustrated and when George Jacobus approached him about this he jumped at the opportunity, for he enjoyed nothing more than walking a golf course and looking at what was there and what might also be… In order to do this he needed to resign as editor. In so doing, Golf Illustrated closed its doors.
      The last issue sent to the subscribers was the August 1935 issue, but it wasn’t the last one that was produced. That was the September 1935 issue. A single known copy of it exists today. It was the “proof” copy that Tilly was sent in the beginning of August to approve for publication. Tilly wrote on the cover in pencil, “This issue never circulated. I resigned as editor last month. AWT.”
      And with that, in the morning of August 13, 1935, their journey would begin. Tune in tomorrow and ride along with Tilly & Lillian…

Phil_the_Author

Re: Tillinghast's PGA Course Consultation Tour... Come for the ride...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:15:11 AM »
Day One:

Albany Country Club

On the morning of August 14th, 1935, Tilly & Lillian packed their car. They were expecting to be gone no more than a week or two before coming back home and that the entire course consultation service to last two months at most. Besides clothes and the things they thought necessary, they brought three things in particular with them that would prove invaluable. First was Tilly’s photographic equipment. Most forget, but Tilly was a true award-winning photographer whose photos were used by every major golf journal and newspaper he wrote for.

He would take literally thousands of photos on this journey. One of the tragic losses to all who love the history of the game was the fire at his son-in-law’s farm in Minnesota in the early 1950’s about 10 years after Tilly died. In addition to destroying all of Tilly’s priceless original drawings, sketches and paperwork, his entire photographic collection, including those from this wonderful journey, were lost forever.  

They also took his sketch pad(s) and many pencils. This would prove invaluable as he found himself producing quick drawings and sketches of his suggestions. These included entire hole designs, left behind with the clubs so that they would have a reference from which to work. A number of these have now been found.

Finally they brought the most important thing of all… his typewriter. Every single night, the last thing he did before turning in, Tilly would type a letter to George Jacobus at PGA of America headquarters detailing what was done that day. It is from these letters, copies of which I have, that this information comes.

This day they would drive from Harrington Park to Schenectady, New York. A nice drive and a good day’s journey today, back then done by means of all back roads through small towns.

He would make his first stop a most inauspicious one. Stopping at the “Albany Country Club” he reported that he immediately contacted Tom Creavy and talked with H.B. Weatherwax and the chairman of the Green Committee, A.R. McKenzie, explaining the full nature of our service. They were enthusiastic and want me there. I advised them to apply to you and assuming that they will do this, I promised to go over their course with them next week, on my return trip…”

The main purpose in this service tour was to aid the PGA of America in providing a service that their member professionals could point to and use to show the value that having a PGA professional at their club’s. This would aid them in getting paid and the PGA of America would hopefully find desperately needed monies coming in to them. The only way this would work was if Tilly refused to provide the service at clubs or for professionals where the dues had not been paid up-to-date. This is what Tilly did at the Albany Country Club, his very first stop. Tilly would have made a good union organizer.
He would write how they would be staying at “the Mohawk Hotel, where I will be until Saturday Morning…” He noted that he was arranging as many “by-way stops and contacts as possible with PGA members en route to Rochester, where you have dated me for Monday, the 19th…”

And with that, day one of his PGA Course Consultation Service Tour began…

By the way, for those wondering, Tilly did this for the following salary… expenses and a VERY SMALL daily stipend…

Total course visits: 1
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:57:40 AM by Philip Young »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:47:12 AM »
Thank you, Phil.

A great idea for a series, one that I'm really looking forward to.

Peter

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »
Philip, this great! I'm looking forward to see more. AWT did some advisory work in San Diego, but I'm not sure exactly which courses. I know he did La Mesa CC (NLE), but apart from that, I'm not sure.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ray Cross

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:20:49 AM »
Phillip,
Am looking forward to this...a great idea.

Thanks for your efforts.

Ray

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »
It would be great to see which courses took Tillie's advice and which ones didn't.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »
Chris,

That is one of my purposes in discussing this. After my Tilly bio came out inn which much of the information I'll be sharing can be found, I've received correspondence from more than 50 clubs wanting either more info or to let me know that they still see the differences on holes where Tilly's suggestions were followed when com[pared to other holes on the course.

Not all of the clubs did the work, but from what i've been able to surmise, the majority of them did.

David, without getting to far ahead of myself, Tilly visited La mesa on 1/28/1936 and was actually rained out! They couldn't even go out on the course at all it was so bad. He came back on 2/12/1936 and remodeled the 13th, 14th & 17th holes...

Mike Policano

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:03:29 PM »
Phil, thanks for sharing all this information.  I look forward to reading the trip.

Cheers, Mike

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 12:56:36 AM »
August 15th, 1935.

Tilly's first official day of visiting clubs on behalf of the PGA of America. Apropos with the first round of the PGA Championship being contested this day.

When he arrived in Schenectady the previous evening, he "Telephoned C.S. Mcbride" who had arranged a schedule for him this day. They met at the Edison Country Club where among those who would accompany his examination of their golf course was A.F. Knight "inventor of the Schenectady Putter, the Steel Shaft and an official of the General Electric Co.)."

Tilly reported that their "problem... concerned a new arrangement of the last holes from the 13th in. They all seemed to be greatly satisfied with my recommendations, particularly the economy and simplicity of my plan..."

After an entire morning, at his first official stop Tilly recommended a redesign of the final third of their golf course. At noon it was time for stop number two where he met Jack Gormley at the Wolfert's Roost CC. Here he spoke with "the Green Committee and... their greenkeeper, J. Louis Gregory, who informed me that his first work was under me twenty-five years ago..."

In his report to the PGA, this would be the first of a number of times that he saw a course where even diplomacy could not hold his tongue. Tilly wrote "At Wolfert's Roost their problem concerned two one-shot holes in sequence, the 9th and 10th and the 11th, a truly bad hole of 276 yards. My solution requires only the construction of one new green and three new teeing grounds. Here again they are genuinely pleased..."

Was Jack Gormley, the owner of this club that had a course with "truly bad holes" be insulted? To the contrary, he asked Tilly to now visit "a second of his clubs, the Van Rensselear CC, a new course." As this had not been part of his schedule he met with the "Chairman of the Green Committee Ray Delahant and the prime mover of the organization, John J. Nyhoff. As time pressed I promised to return later for I had promised to call at Colonie CC where the pro', Harry Yorke, had requested our service through McBride...

His final thoughts for the day? "Sufficient to report that so far our service has been warmly welcomed by everyone..."

What a first day it was! He had recommended major redesigns at two courses, examined a third and left recommendations with them and made an unplanned visit to a 4th course where he met with members and promised to come back!

Little did he know that this would soon be a very average day on his little journey...

Total course visits: 5
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:58:26 AM by Philip Young »

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 04:05:50 AM »
Great work Phil, I'm looking forward to reading the installments as you put them up.
cheers Neil

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 01:37:15 AM »
August 15th, 1935.

"This morning I accompanied Harry Yorke over the nine hole course of the Colonie Country Club and at his request located a new sixth green, provided a sketch showing contours and levels and instructed him concerning preparation of compost. I also did the same thing for ma new fourth green..."

How to prepare compost! I get a kick out of that. I doubt anyone thought that Tilly would provide such mundane advice on this tour, and yet he did that in many ways...

He next went to the Troy CC where he had "a fine conference with Eddie Schultz, President of the PGA in this section..." As for the Troy CC, he noted that it was "laid out by the late Walter J. Travis and unfortunately presents some strenuous climbing of hills. Schultz desired me to find a way to eliminate some of this if possible..." Tilly did this by "giving him a new eighth hole (which will be there ninth) and arriving at the higher level by dog-legging through a long swale. This will necessitate a new arrangement at the third and fourth, all quite economical. I am to return there to go over the ground with Schultz and the chairman of his green committee, who is out of town now... I will include this with the requested service at the Albany Country Club as I return, together with two more requests from the Albany Municipal course and also at The Western Turnpike..."

He next visited the Mohawk Golf Club where, "I was warmly welcomed by the course manager and his professional, Jim Thomson, a particularly energetic and capable man. His chief problem was a new eighth hole, which I laid out to his satisfaction, and bunkering his new seventh green. This is the most important course in this district and I had a good talk with the President of the club. On my return through here I am to recommend more improvements..."

What a third day! FOUR more clubs visited, requests from two others and promises to return to three courses at another time... and yet Tilly STILL WASN'T DONE!

"This evening I talked briefly of the P.G.A. service over the radio from the General Electric Studios. Eddie Schultz was included in this..." By the way, this would have gone out nation-wide over the GE network of stations!

Yet that still wasn't all. Tilly somehow managed to fit in time for a newspaper interview and noted in his report, "We are to have quite a write-up in [tomorrow's] paper."

He closed his report by saying that "I have no new instructions from you and look for some message when I arrive at the Seneca Hotel at Rochester on Sunday evening. Tomorrow I leave for Syracuse and Rochester  making contacts with PGA members en route. Better advise me by wire on Monday, Seneca Hotel, Rochester, if there is anything to take me to Buffalo. Otherwise I will give such service as may be desired in the Rochester district and start back..."

Total Courses Visited: 9

Tom MacWood

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 10:39:11 AM »
Its debatable if this tour was a positive or a negative from an architectural point of view. Because of the terrible economic situation cost savings was the underlying goal of Tilly's advice and the PGA measured that cost savings by the number of bunkers Tilly removed. As has been pointed out, its difficult to know if the number of bunkers they claimed removed (10,000+) were actually removed or just advised to be removed.

At the time Tilly came up with the term Duffer's Headache, which were bunkers within 175 yards from the tee. He proposed they should be eliminated from golf. There were a number of excellent courses of that era that had numerous bunkers within 175 yards of the tee, including quite few of Tilly's courses. Some of the notable courses would be Cypress Point, Bel Air, SFGC, Brook Hollow, Hollywood, Bethpage-Black, Pine Valley, NGLA, Seminole, Aronimink, Shinnecock, Inwood, Chicago, and Garden City. Tilly didn't go north of the border otherwise a few of Stanley Thompson's courses would have been on the list too.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 12:35:30 PM »
Tom,

You stated, "Its debatable if this tour was a positive or a negative from an architectural point of view. Because of the terrible economic situation cost savings was the underlying goal of Tilly's advice..."

You are quite mistaken. There were TWO MAIN GOALS of this service that FAR exceeded anything else. These goals remained CONSTANT THROUGHOUT the entire tour and NEITHER had anything at all to do with the removal of "Duffer's Headache" bunkers. So far, there hasn't been a mention of a single bunker to be removed of ANY type, just little things like new tees & greens and course reroutings and how to make compost!

You continued, "and the PGA measured that cost savings by the number of bunkers Tilly removed..." You are again mistaken. THAT number which was mentioned in a talk at the 1937 PGA convention and in published writings were done so by ONE PERSON ONLY... A.W. Tillinghast. He was the person alone who knew the numbers. As you will find out if you follow along, in almost all of the instances where Tilly mentions the removal of bunkers in his daily report the exact numbers and locations are never given. These are to be found in the INDIVIDUAL REPORTS he left with the clubs and his own personal copies of them.

You continue, "As has been pointed out, its difficult to know if the number of bunkers they claimed removed (10,000+) were actually removed or just advised to be removed...” Though we can't state that EVERY bunker whose removal that Tilly would end up recommending was, it appears that the VAST majority WERE! This can be ascertained from the number of times it is specifically mentioned as having happened in future letters when Tilly would REVISIT some of these courses and from statements made in the MANY letters of thanks sent to the PGA of America that specifically mentioned this.

You continue, "At the time Tilly came up with the term Duffer's Headache, which were bunkers within 175 yards from the tee. He proposed they should be eliminated from golf..." You are again mistaken. This term, which Tilly also defines in a letter from the tour down the road, refers to bunkers into which ONLY A DUFFER WOUL HIT INTO! Although many of these were less than 150 yards from the tee, a good number WERE NOT. So these bunkers are defined by MORE THAN DISTANCE from the tee.

The "Duffer's Headache" bunkers SOLE PURPOSE would be to punish the poorer player. It was these bunkers that he recommended having removed. You will also find several occasions on the tour where he would visit courses that he himself had originally designed and recommend removing them, or as he would put it, "I have to take my own medicine here..."

You observed, "There were a number of excellent courses of that era that had numerous bunkers within 175 yards of the tee, including quite few of Tilly's courses. Some of the notable courses would be Cypress Point, Bel Air, SFGC, Brook Hollow, Hollywood, Bethpage-Black, Pine Valley, NGLA, Seminole, Aronimink, Shinnecock, Inwood, Chicago, and Garden City..." There were MANY NOTABLE  COURSES held in the same regard as the ones that you mentioned throughout the country that Tilly DID visit where he DID recommend numerous architectural changes as well as removal of unnecessary bunkers. Not to get ahead of myself, but SFGC was one of them...

You finish by stating that, "Tilly didn't go north of the border otherwise a few of Stanley Thompson's courses would have been on the list too." That is true, but again this was a P.G.A. of AMERICA service, not PGA of Canada or Mexico or elsewhere...

One other note regarding this idea of the importance of "Duffer's Headaches" bunker removals with this tour. One of my motivations in laying this out is to dispel this myth. The VAST majority of Tilly's recommendations dealt with architectural or maintenance issues specific to the clubs he visited, were NOT preconceived and were DIRECTLY IN RESPONSE to the issues that he had been INVITED TO THE CLUB to discuss.

Yes, he ONLY visited courses where he had been invited to visit. You've already seen through the first few days that he spent time at multiple courses in a single day. He simply didn't have the time to go over every aspect of each course. Many courses simply asked him to examine their entire course and point out everything that he might note. These courses would have a number of DH's that he recommended removals on.

Have you ever read the PGA reports? I don't believe you have as the originals are in Port St. Lucie at PGA of America headquarters. They are not available for viewing by anyone NOT ASSOCIATED with the specific club(s) mentioned in any letter and in that case only prior approval and the specific letter would be shown.

There are only THREE sets of COPIES of the letters known to exist. One is at the World Golf Hall of Fame and are not allowed to be viewed by anyone that the PGA of America doesn't give prior approval to. The other two sets are in private hands. The first are with a good friend whose name I will not mention for privacy reasons. The other one is in my hands.

Other than myself, there is only one other person to have carefully studied all of these letters, and he would tell you that he never did so to the extent that I have. That is why I think you should rid yourself of your preconceived notions of purpose, accomplishments and details that you have had up until now. You will be quite surprised on many an occasion of what developed during some of his visits and why..

Finally, I am more than willing to provide copies of INDIVIDUAL LETTERS to those who seek them. The stipulation is that they MUST be a member of the club (course) they are requesting it of, and furnish me with proof of this first. In this I am honoring the privacy issues  that the PGA of America stands by.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 02:04:26 PM »
Phil
I agree with you, the ultimate reason for the program being developed was to help the PGA membership by providing a value added service for those club's employing and supporting PGA member professionals. That being said the specific goal of Tilly's architectural tour was to make architectural recommendations that saved club's money, and the most obvious way to save the club money (in Tilly's opinion) was to eliminate Duffer's Headaches. Here is link to series of articles Tilly wrote for the PGA during the time of his tour. The elimination DH is mentioned prominently in a number of the articles, in fact in one of the articles Tilly provides a diagram that graphically shows what is referring to with his suggested elimination of DHs.

http://www.tillinghast.net/cms/taxonomy/term/22

Here is an interview from the Washington Post, in which Tilly expresses his ideas.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:09:08 PM by Tom MacWood »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
Tom,

I am more than well aware of those articles as I AM THE ONE WHO HAD THEM POSTED on the Tillinghast Association website. 

Again, you have never looked at the totality of what Tilly wrote on the subject or the PGA Tour or the letters. This was NOT a "get rid of duffer's headache" bunkiers tour. It was a COURSE CONSULTATION tour and in many cases these types of bunkers and their usefullness to the SPECIFIC course mentioned was discussed. Many times their removals were recommended. There were also a number of times when the OPPOSITE was what happened!

You have judged thyis work based on minimal imformation... show some patience and you'll get a better undertsnading...

Tom MacWood

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »
Phil
You can believe what you want. His articles and interviews indicate what he believed were important changes at the time, his public stance if you will, and the elimination of the DH was a major theme of those articles. I will repeat it is debatable if the tour was a positive or negative from an architectural point of view.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 04:04:10 PM »
Tom,

Thank you for your opinion. When you state, "You can believe what you want..." I can certainly say the same is true for you. The difference between where our opinions are derived is night and day. I have read EVERY single one of his letters to the PGA... you have not. I have read more than 90 INDIVIDUAL course reports that discussed the specifics... you have not. I have copies of more than 30 sketches that he left with these courses showing the details of his recommendations... you do not. I have contacted and had ongoing discussions with 127 of these courses about his visits... you have not. I have a database of nearly 150 newspaper articles from around the country in which the details and generalities were reported and/or discussed. You do not. It for those reasons and others that your statement, "His articles and interviews indicate what he believed were important changes at the time, his public stance if you will, and the elimination of the DH was a major theme of those articles. I will repeat it is debatable if the tour was a positive or negative from an architectural point of view..." can not be given credence as you speak to neither point from anything near knowledge of either event.

I say this because every now and then there is someone who can actually know something DEFINITIVELY on an obscure subject and if there is a person who can be described that way about Tilly's PGA Tour it is most certainly me. I say that not out of pride or arrogance but out of the desire to share the info. I have received dozens and dozens of emails on this subject alone in the last two years and decided to use this venue to let anyone or club with an interest know that there is a place they can go to for more info.

I will endeavor to answer any question you may have as we go along. This will be the last time I post an argument over what I consider a very poor set of conclusions. Feel very free to keep pointing out where mine are wrong...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:43:14 AM by Philip Young »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 11:24:33 PM »
Phil
Why did Tilly emphasize the removal of DH bunkers in his articles for the PGA magazine? What was his most significant redesign during the PGA tour?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 12:20:28 AM »
Tom,

You asked two questions. First, "Why did Tilly emphasize the removal of DH bunkers in his articles for the PGA magazine?"
      In the next-to-last paragraph of his article in the October 1935 issue titled "What the PGA Course Service Really Means," Tilly wrote, "Certainly one of the greatest benefits to the average golfer to be accomplished under the new service is the elimination of what I term "Duffer's Headaches," the many traps placed only to catch the poor shots of poor players. These add aggravation and are of no value..."
      Tilly had been writing about this type of poorly designed hazard for a number of years now. He certainly expected to make recommendations for the removal of many along the way, but this section of his article was simply an example of the practical benefits that the average club golfer could expect to personally see. Without question the monetary savings in maintenance money that would result from their removal was greater and far more important and longer-lasting as a benefit to the club, but the average member and player wouldn't see it for himself personally.
      Notice, too, that Tilly actually expanded the idea of what the DH's actually were and why as he continued, "Yet these ancient relics (and unfortunately some of later vintage) are scattered about many courses serving to add to the up-keep to a marked degree for usually they demand an unholy amount of work. At one place these "Chocolate Drops" and sand pits ran about in a perfect riot and utterly destroyed the natural beauty of an otherwise beautiful course. But above all they brought dismay to poor golfers and were very expensive to maintain. After only a rather brief discussion with the chairman of the green committee, who accompanied the professional and the greenkeeper, his notations sealed the doom of no less than twenty-five of these monstrosities and I believe that more will follow as a natural consequence.... One must surely understand by this what the P.G.A. service really means when it is declared that it will make golf pleasurable for more players."
      So the reason for getting rid of them were of a two-fold nature. First, it would save a lot of money. Second, it would make the game more enjoyable for the average player.
      The MAIN thrust of the article was that the Course Consultation Service's goal was to grow the game and therefore grow the number of professionals who could be employed. In addition, by expanding the services provided by their PGA professional it would also make him more valuable and better paid.
      Tilly constantly spoke to these points at every course he went to and with every board or club member he met.
      One aspect of the service that is not known by most is that professionals and courses had to APPLY for it and for Tilly to visit them. On the application form was a section that explained the reason why they wanted Tilly there and what he could expect that they needed his advice on. As a result, almost all of the "Duffer's Headaches" that Tilly recommended removals of, up to this point, were from courses that asked that he examine "the entire course as completely as possible." That is the main reason why this section was included in the article. To enable those clubs who would now be applying, for the article was a call for applications as can be seen in the final paragraph, to realize that Tilly would be willing to advise on any and all questions regardless of scope.
      You also asked, "What was his most significant redesign during the PGA tour?" That is a tough question as there were MANY. For example, he redesigned the existing 9-holes of the public Tallahassee Country Club (Known today as the private Capital City CC) and then designed a new second nine to make an 18-hole course. All the work was finished by the late 1930's and done as part of the WPA program. He also visited the Brook Hollow Golf Club where he was asked to redesign a few greens and would end up redesigning them all. What makes this very significant is that he recommended that the club bring in an architect from Oklahoma, Perry Maxwell to oversee the work. He redesigned some of the San Francisco Golf Club and visited it a year later to examine the progress of the work.
      He also visited courses large and small across the country in remote areas and large cities. In each case the work done was quite important to the community. There was even one case out in Arizona where he visited a course he had an appointment for and NO ONE SHOWED UP to meet him. In fact the course was CLOSED! He still walked it and sent them a letter about it.
      As we go through the journey as Tilly did you'll see trends and exceptions to them. These are really nothing more than statistical aberrations rather than planned implemented ideas. Some of his comments are funny, others poignant and still others made out of sheer frustration and exhaustion. This journey took an incredible toll on the two of them.
       So to answer your question... that's one for you to decide...

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 12:21:14 AM »
August 17, 1935:

After a very busy first few days, this was a day where the course that Tilly had planned on visiting, the Head Pro' actually asked Tilly not to come... he went anyway for an interesting reason and with surprising results. He reported it this way:

"Although working over the courses throughout the past three days has been blazing hot, never the less I have managed to cover a lot of ground. This morning I left Schenectady and went to Amsterdam [Municipal Golf Course], particularly to contact John H. Lord, pro at that place and formerly president of the district association. When McBride had asked him if he wanted the PGA service he replied that, 'It would be a waste of Mr. Tillinghast's time as his club had no money to spend.'

"Lord received me cordially and repeated the above comment. I explained in detail the aims of the PGA and told him that our desires were not to suggest drastic changes but rather to make suggestions that might enable clubs to improve conditions, gradually and to a definite program, at little cost and probably saving money, work to be accomplished with his maintenance resources. I did this at length, instructing him how to improve the second green and more particularly an extended sixteenth hole to a perfectly natural green and the bunkering of a shortened seventeenth. He became quite enthusiastic and exclaimed, 'Why I can do all this within the year!' He surely is in hearty accord with our work now..."

Tilly had planned to spend the rest of the day driving on tom his next stop, but along the way, "I determined to break my journey to Rochester by stopping here [Jamesville, New York] and it seems lucky that I did so. I telephoned the Lafayette Country Club, a course that I planned some years ago, to try and locate Bill Davidson, who was pro and greenkeeper at that time. I was pretty sure he was a PGA member. At Lafayette I found a pro named Nordonne, who informed me that he had been a member of the PGA until this year but had dropped out because of some trouble. Of course I did not press him for details and expressed my regret that I could not extend the PGA service to Lafayette under the circumstances. He gave me the club where Davidson is now located and I was gratified to find that he is the present president of this section's PGA. He came in immediately to the hotel and told me that on receipt of your letter he had arranged for a gathering of professionals, greenkeepers and green committeemen for next Thursday night, here at Syracuse, for the purpose of having me address them..."

Consider the impact that his visits were already beginning to have. This "gathering" which Tilly would address would be the first, but not the last. These became quite common throughout the long tour and its popularity and the demands on his time began growing almost exponentially.

Just the day before he had sent the report to George Jacobus asking him to let him know where he would be going after Monday. Now it was Tilly who was telling Jacobus and the PGA what his schedule had become. He did this in closing the letter, "Tomorrow morning (at Davidson's request) I am going over his course at Drumlinn to solve several of his problems. Then I will proceed directly to Rochester, arriving at the Seneca hotel tomorrow evening [Sunday]. Monday I will be with the Western N.Y. men at the Rochester Country Club. Possibly I will have some word from you directing my attention to requests from the Western N.Y. section. If this does not reach me I will contact as many as possible out there on Tuesday and Wednesday, returning here for the meeting on Thursday. Friday I will retrace my journey to Schenectady and Albany to finish service already requested but postponed by lack of time. Next Saturday and Sunday will find me doing this and possibly Monday. I will keep in touch..."

From not knowing what to do and being told to not bother coming, to a turn-around in attitude and more than a weeks worth of appointments was as unexpected an ending to this day as Tilly, and let us not forget faithful Lillian who was with him, could have ever imagined!

Tom MacWood

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 09:37:05 AM »

You also asked, "What was his most significant redesign during the PGA tour?" That is a tough question as there were MANY. For example, he redesigned the existing 9-holes of the public Tallahassee Country Club (Known today as the private Capital City CC) and then designed a new second nine to make an 18-hole course. All the work was finished by the late 1930's and done as part of the WPA program. He also visited the Brook Hollow Golf Club where he was asked to redesign a few greens and would end up redesigning them all. What makes this very significant is that he recommended that the club bring in an architect from Oklahoma, Perry Maxwell to oversee the work. He redesigned some of the San Francisco Golf Club and visited it a year later to examine the progress of the work.

Of the 400 plus courses Tilly consulted these are his most significant redesigns?

Tom MacWood

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 09:43:54 AM »
Here is a synopsis of his 21 PGA Magazine articles during the time of his tour. Clearly the architectural emphasis early on was the elimination of Duffers' Headaches as cost savings measure.

Article 1: “Let us briefly regard the newly instituted service of the PGA, extended without fees to golf courses throughout the US wherever a PGA member is affiliated. It is a sincere gesture from the professionals to do something more for the game from which they derive a livelihood-something which will gradually improve courses generally by making them more pleasurable for more people. Obviously this is a far-sighted policy for as more players are attracted to the game, naturally the field of the professional is broadened. Expert advice, which emphasizes a concentration on vitally important details and the elimination of obsolete and unnecessary features, must direct budgets to doing the most good.

Article 2: Article on Ross’s Pinehurst #2 which hosted the 1936 PGA. No mention of the DHs at Pinehurst of which I count 15 on 14 holes , that is if you count the pond on #16. The number goes up to 42 if you include hazards in Tilly’s secondary duffer zone.

Article 3: He explains the problems created by amateur architects and/or green committees, and the political difficulty in having these problems undone.

Article 4: “While, as I have said, the courses generally are structurally and strategically improved over those of a few years back, yet there are enough of the Cheap-John, amateurish sort, rather cluttered with sand pits that cost money to maintain for no other purpose that to discourage the very player at golf, who need encouraging most. When speaking of these abominations in my reports to the PGA for brevity sake I simply call them DHs (short for Duffers’ Headaches). I am thoroughly delighted by the reaction of green committees everywhere to our doctrine of the elimination of these relics of golf’s dark age. There will be more about them in subsequent papers.”

Article 5: An article on blending the slopes of greens more naturally.

Article 6: This article is devoted to Tilly’s new ideas on modern bunkering. Here he explains (and diagrams) that there should be bunker free Duffer Zones – the first zone from the tee to 175 yards from the tee and the secondary zone from 250 yards to just short of the green.  He appears to have co-oped Tom Simpson’s ideas of bunkering, in fact he refers to “attack and defense.”

Article 7: A continuation of the previous article but dealing with the arrangement of greenside bunkers, again very similar to Simpson.

Article 8: Tilly argues bunkers fifteen and twenty yards short of the green should be moved up close to the green, consistent with secondary duffer zone in the previous article.

Article 9: An article on Oakland Hills the 1937 US Open site. No mention of the DHs of which I count 30.

Article 10: The subject of this article is the importance of practice grounds.

Article 11: “During the past sixteen months, since I have been traveling to the remote parts of the country inspecting courses as consultant of the PGA, it is a matter of record that I have condemned nearly eight thousand sand traps. I have contend that there have been maintained at considerable cost to nearly four hundred clubs, that they unnecessarily harass the majority of those who take to the game for pleasure without in the least causing that comparatively small number of par shooters to give them a thought, and usually injecting a thoroughly discordant note and smudging an otherwise beautiful picture of rural landscape. My arguments against over-trapped courses have appeared already in my monthly contributions to this magazine and have had the ears of many green committees along my route.” Its difficult not to think of Tilly’s debate with JH Taylor in which Taylor argued that American courses had become too difficult for the average golfer. Ironically, Tilly has now reversed course and is now making Taylor’s argument.

Article 12: An article on bent grass greens in Texas (as opposed the sand greens).

Article 13: Tilly discusses the design of the short par-4s.

Article 14: An article on trees and the preference on an irregular line, as opposed to straight line of trees along the sides of fairways. This is very similar to the chapter on trees in Wethered & Simpson’s book.

Article 15: An article on Par.

Article 16: This is an article on gimmes.

Article 17: An article on long one-shot holes in which Tilly argues no par-3 should be longer than 195 yards. He goes on to re-explain his consultation service. There had been some confusion about if there was a charge for the service. There was also a concern from some clubs that Tilly would be overly critical of their course. “On the contrary, the policy is altogether constructive and shaped along economic lines.” Again Tilly stresses the goal of his service is economic savings.  

Article 18: This is an article on Bethpage-Black that was modeled after Pine Valley. There is no mention of the numerous DHs.

Article 19: An article on very short par-3s.

Article 20: Another article on Par.

Article 21: An article on turf issues.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
Tom,

Go back and read my answer again. There were two more paragraphs and I ended it by saying, "So to answer your question... that's one for you to decide..."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:01:58 AM by Philip Young »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »
Tom,

You seem to have drawn a conclusion that has no basis and not want to back out of despite my pointing out to you that you haven't investigated the tour properly and are now simply "finding the proof" rather than seeing what is there:

"Here is a synopsis of his 21 PGA Magazine articles during the time of his tour. Clearly the architectural emphasis early on was the elimination of Duffers' Headaches as cost savings measure." This is ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE!

Article 1: “Let us briefly regard the newly instituted service of the PGA, extended without fees to golf courses throughout the US wherever a PGA member is affiliated. It is a sincere gesture from the professionals to do something more for the game from which they derive a livelihood-something which will gradually improve courses generally by making them more pleasurable for more people. Obviously this is a far-sighted policy for as more players are attracted to the game, naturally the field of the professional is broadened. Expert advice, which emphasizes a concentration on vitally important details and the elimination of obsolete and unnecessary features, must direct budgets to doing the most good.”

This was completely discussed in my response post #17. I see that you simply ignored it. Once again, in it I have pointed out that you have NEVER read the letters or reports from the tour sent to the PGA. I have. You have

Thank you for your opinion. When you state, "You can believe what you want..." I can certainly say the same is true for you. The difference between where our opinions are derived is night and day. I have read EVERY single one of his letters to the PGA... you have not. I have read more than 90 INDIVIDUAL course reports that discussed the specifics... you have not. I have copies of more than 30 sketches that he left with these courses showing the details of his recommendations... you do not. I have contacted and had ongoing discussions with 127 of these courses about his visits... you have not. I have a database of nearly 150 newspaper articles from around the country in which the details and generalities were reported and/or discussed. You do not. It for those reasons and others that your statement, "His articles and interviews indicate what he believed were important changes at the time, his public stance if you will, and the elimination of the DH was a major theme of those articles. I will repeat it is debatable if the tour was a positive or negative from an architectural point of view..." can not be given credence as you speak to neither point from anything near knowledge of either event.

Article 2: Article on Ross’s Pinehurst #2 which hosted the 1936 PGA. No mention of the DHs at Pinehurst of which I count 15 on 14 holes , that is if you count the pond on #16. The number goes up to 42 if you include hazards in Tilly’s secondary duffer zone.

Tilly wasn't there to examine the course. he was there to visit his "old friend" and to enjoy a day appreciating the work of another master architect while walking alongside him.

Article 3: He explains the problems created by amateur architects and/or green committees, and the political difficulty in having these problems undone.

"Now the conclusions I have drawn are many and various. Conditions differ so widely in the wide sections of our country that no fixed rule may always be applied..."

Article 4: “While, as I have said, the courses generally are structurally and strategically improved over those of a few years back, yet there are enough of the Cheap-John, amateurish sort, rather cluttered with sand pits that cost money to maintain for no other purpose that to discourage the very player at golf, who need encouraging most. When speaking of these abominations in my reports to the PGA for brevity sake I simply call them DHs (short for Duffers’ Headaches). I am thoroughly delighted by the reaction of green committees everywhere to our doctrine of the elimination of these relics of golf’s dark age. There will be more about them in subsequent papers.”

This was a MINOR POINT mentioned in paragraph 9 on page two! Yet you want to make it appear as if the article was written about the elimination of DH's in chief! Tom, open your eyes and see what is actually there.

Article 5: An article on blending the slopes of greens more naturally.

What, couldn't find any mention of DH's in there?

Article 6: This article is devoted to Tilly’s new ideas on modern bunkering. Here he explains (and diagrams) that there should be bunker free Duffer Zones – the first zone from the tee to 175 yards from the tee and the secondary zone from 250 yards to just short of the green.  He appears to have co-oped Tom Simpson’s ideas of bunkering, in fact he refers to “attack and defense.” 

Here again it shows that you neither appreciate what this article states nor have you examined Tilly's philosophies of design throughout his career. This is nothing new that he hasn't written before, and quite OFTEN! To you he "appears to have "co-opted Tom Simpson's ideas of bunkering" but that only shows that you haven't read or missed when you did what he wrote about proper bunkering techniques as early as 1914!

By the way, you GLARINGLY leave out the minor detail of how Tilly PLACED A BUNKER NOT SHOWN IN Fig. 1 In Fig. 2 IN HIS SECONDARY DH ZONE! CARE TO EXPLAIN THAT? To save you the time, it was placed there as a hazard for the BETTER PLAYER'S TEE SHOT! You see, NOT ALL BUNKERS that YOU SEE as being DH's are. You have "counted numbers of them in several of your responses here and this shows that you don't have an understanding of why Tilly defined CETAIN BUNKERS AND OTHER HAZARDS as DH's.

Article 7: A continuation of the previous article but dealing with the arrangement of greenside bunkers, again very similar to Simpson.

Again... nothing new and a continuation of Tilly's philosophies of designing hazards from the early teens.

Article 8: Tilly argues bunkers fifteen and twenty yards short of the green should be moved up close to the green, consistent with secondary duffer zone in the previous article.

This is glaring how you simply want to see a point that not only isn't being made but ISN'T EVEN MENTIONED BY TILLY! Show me the reference to DH's? There ISN'T any. In fact, the article is NOT about where or how to locate greenside bunkers at all despite the short reference to the PREVIOUS article about this. Rather, it is, AS TILLY'S OWN WORDS CLEARLY STATE, "The real topic of my paper this month concerns the arrangement of the sand in pits, guarding greens..."

Tom you are being blinded by your own conclusions...

Article 9: An article on Oakland Hills the 1937 US Open site. No mention of the DHs of which I count 30.

First of all you appear to have MISSED AN ARTICLE that Tilly wrote the month before this one in the October issue. Don't worry, that one DIDN'T mention DH's either! As far as your comments on this one, once again, your perception of what DH's actually are can be called into serious question. In addition, you missed the point of both the article and the reason for his stopping at the course.

He wrote that "I was requested... for an exchange of ideas regarding the preparation of that course for the National Championship..." Tilly was NOT CALLED IN to EXAMINE IT FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE! In addition, he stated, "In this rather sketchy review of the course for next year's Open..." When we get to his report on the course at that point during his Tour I will share with you what is letter to the PGA included! You will then understand WHY he made that statement...

Article 10: The subject of this article is the importance of practice grounds.

AGAIN... nothing on DH's.

Article 11: “During the past sixteen months, since I have been traveling to the remote parts of the country inspecting courses as consultant of the PGA, it is a matter of record that I have condemned nearly eight thousand sand traps. I have contend that there have been maintained at considerable cost to nearly four hundred clubs, that they unnecessarily harass the majority of those who take to the game for pleasure without in the least causing that comparatively small number of par shooters to give them a thought, and usually injecting a thoroughly discordant note and smudging an otherwise beautiful picture of rural landscape. My arguments against over-trapped courses have appeared already in my monthly contributions to this magazine and have had the ears of many green committees along my route.” Its difficult not to think of Tilly’s debate with JH Taylor in which Taylor argued that American courses had become too difficult for the average golfer. Ironically, Tilly has now reversed course and is now making Taylor’s argument.

What is ironic is that you once again miss the point of the entire article and show a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of Tilly's bunker design philosophies through the years. Tilly simply had not "reversed course" and was definitely NOT making "Taylor's argument." He was speaking about PROPER BUNKER PLACEMENT and how a sand HAZARD could actually be a better result for a wayward shot than if the ball had travelled beyond it into even worse conditions!

Article 12: An article on bent grass greens in Texas (as opposed the sand greens).

Again, no DH's are mentioned!

Article 13: Tilly discusses the design of the short par-4s.

Once again, no mention of DH's! Yet he did condemn the use of certain fronting bunker types that more severely punished the average player than the expert.

Article 14: An article on trees and the preference on an irregular line, as opposed to straight line of trees along the sides of fairways. This is very similar to the chapter on trees in Wethered & Simpson’s book.

ONCE AGAIN, there is NO MENTION of DH's. As for your developing theme that appears be that Tilly is doing nothing more than copying ideas from more noteworthy architects, it is quite apparent that you neither know nor understand what Tilly wrote about these subjects through the years. When Volume II of my series on Tilly comes out, coincidentally if you haven't guessed it is an exhaustive study on his Philosophies of Design put into practice, I will send you a copy... autographed of course!

Article 15: An article on Par.

Again, no DH's.

Article 16: This is an article on gimmes.

Once again, WHAT is NJOT mentioned?

Article 17: An article on long one-shot holes in which Tilly argues no par-3 should be longer than 195 yards. He goes on to re-explain his consultation service. There had been some confusion about if there was a charge for the service. There was also a concern from some clubs that Tilly would be overly critical of their course. “On the contrary, the policy is altogether constructive and shaped along economic lines.” Again Tilly stresses the goal of his service is economic savings.

Tom, I really am baffled how you, who have complained about and condemned on other threads those who you feel have INTENTIONALLY LEFT OUT phrases to make a point even going to the extreme as to ACCUSE them of PURPOSEFULLY CHANGING THE DOCUMENTS IN THEIR POSTS, have done the SAME THING! Or how do you explain leaving out this phrase... "UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS..."?

See, Tilly DIDN'T write, as you CLEARLY state, "Tilly argues no par-3 should be longer than 195 yards" but rather, and pay careful attention to what I have underlined, "May I go on record therefor in stating that I have come to the conclusion that 195 yards under normal conditions should be the extreme length of the one-shotter." Tilly designed one-shotters much longer than 195 yards that met the exception to this.

This is very poor analysis on your part and appears to PURPOSEFULLY misrepresents what he wrote. I say that before someone else does and to add that I DON'T accuse you of doing that. You are an honorable man and would never do so despite your glaring error.

Article 18: This is an article on Bethpage-Black that was modeled after Pine Valley. There is no mention of the numerous DHs.

Again, you seem to insist that there is something there that isn't. You also are stretching every limit imaginable to make a point that can't be made. The article was a very Brief on of only 5 paragraphs and contained no real course analysis at all.

Article 19: An article on very short par-3s.

Article 20: Another article on Par.

Article 21: An article on turf issues.

And again, all three of these articles have NOTHING about DH's!

Tom, you began your post and statement by stating that, "Here is a synopsis of his 21 PGA Magazine articles during the time of his tour. Clearly the architectural emphasis early on was the elimination of Duffers' Headaches as cost savings measure..."

One would have expected that condemnation of DH's would have been found in nearly all of them or, at the very least, mentions of them. Yet in but 2 of the articles were they mentioned and only one occasion in a substantive way.

Tom, you are arguing a conclusion that can't be drawn and is not supported. I STRONGLY suggest that you examine the information more carefully and wait on the information to come out that is contained in Tilly's own writings to the PGA before jumping to a conclusion that isn't there...

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
By the way, for those interested in reading the articles that Tom mentioned, go to the Tillinghast Association website at www.tillinghast.net. Under the "Authored by Tilly" prompt on the left, look under the PGA Magazine section...

When you are done enjoy reading the others posted in the other referenced areas... Visit often as more are being added as we go along...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back