News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

...under In My Opinion.

Michael Whitaker was kind enough to invite me to his South Carolina course
rater dinner one evening last summer to discuss various ways that people look at
and review courses. I started and ended my little talk with a story on
Joshua Crane. Afterwards, a gentleman said it was the best nap he had in
some years ::) Must have been my delivery (!) as Joshua Crane has to
rank among the most compelling figures in the history of golf
course architecture. Hence, it is with particular delight that we post this
piece by Bob Crosby as it sheds more light on this controversial figure than has been done before.

We all know Crane's name though unfortunately, the caricature of him as
someone who invented a one dimensional way of analyzing golf courses is the
most prevalent reason why. Sadly, history has defined him by his
initial scoring system, in part because it garnered so much attention - and
infamy - at the time.

This isn't fair and indeed, Bob carefully points out that the reason Crane
is worthy of study today is because of his thoughts on design philosophy,
which were the underpinning of his scoring system. As Bob explains, 'If golf courses were to
function as venues for true sporting competitions, Crane thought it important that the
linkage between golf shots and their outcomes be as rational and predictable
as possible. Why, Crane asked, shouldn't concerns with competitive equity
that were so important in other sports apply with equal force to golf?' With
that in mind, his ranking of fourteen courses had Muirfield at the top and -
correctly so given his system - Prestwick, Westward Ho!, North Berwick and
and finally The Old Course as the worst of the fourteen
courses rated.

That is what most people know Re: Crane. Essentially, he was the
forbearer of the flawed Golf Digest ranking system (just kidding!) and
people who don't know better dismiss him. However, Bob shatters the myth of
Crane as being a one off course ranking loon. Rather he locates Crane in a long tradition
of golf architecture that gives a primary role to things like "fairness" and competitive equity.
Bob then distinguishes that tradition from ideas about strategic golf
architecture advocated by MacKenzie and Behr, who saw Crane's ideas as
representing a theory of golf design that they disagreed with
profoundly.

Bob is quick to point out what a phenomenal mind Crane possessed and that he
was a magnificent debater. Furthermore, Bob notes that 'The detail that went
into Crane's course evaluations is mind-boggling. Equally mind-boggling were the
elaborate weighting formulae used to assign values to each measured feature.
Those values were then tallied to generate an overall "objective" rating
percentage for a course, which percentage indicated the degree to which the
course fell short of Crane's ideal for design, conditioning and other
matters.'

Though he personally moved away from the rigid nature of his own
scoring system over time, Crane helped ignite what can justly be considered
the single most honest debate on golf course architecture in history. Other
participants in the media included several of the all-time heavy weights:
Alister MacKenzie, Max Behr, Harry Colt, A.C.M. Croome and Bernard Darwin.
(Colt was in a particularly tough position as Crane praised his alterations
at Muirfield).

Bob chronicles the points of view the various parties and writes, 'Crane's
controversial course rankings were reported in all of the major golf
periodicals on both sides of the Atlantic and they triggered a number of battles. Those battles have
much to teach us.' It is IMPOSSIBLE to overstate this point as without honest debate, golf course
architecture stagnates as we saw for decades after World War II.

Thus, Crane played an amazingly vital role in stirring debate on golf course
architecture. His opinions and thoughts changed over the years, yet he
always brilliantly articulated his stances. As such, he was a
formidable adversary and a crucial foil against other great minds.
Ultimately, it is fair to conclude, everyone, as well as the sport,
benefited from these exchanges.

Today, we post Part I of Bob's 45 page plus treatise on Crane. His hundreds
of hours of research are evident and tomorrow and Thursday we will post the remaining three parts.
Given Bob's own scholarly mind, orderly presentation and tight writing prose,
there is no single better person to study and write about Crane. This is my
very favorite sort of thing to post and it is one of the most enlightening
pieces on golf course architecture that I've ever had the pleasure to read.

Cheers,

P.S. In reading it, please see how our heroes argued back then - yes, it
could get personal but there was much to learn in following the flow of the
debate. Hopefully, one day they'll say the same about this Discussion Group  ;)  8)

Adam Clayman

Anxiously awaiting part II.

Thanks Bob.

Couple of first impressions...

Obviously, there's a strong reason, or connection, for Max Behr to define Games V. Sports. Does anyone know if Behr Did that after Crane's formulas were published?

If Jones wintered in Augusta, supposedly very close to the future site of ANGC, why did he scour the east coast for the perfect property? Or is that another example of media myth, since I recall it specifically from a Jack Whitaker piece on the origins of ANGC.

Who qualifies best to be the modern day Joshua Crane?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Garland Bayley

For those interested, Crane's rating system is reproduced here

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32246.0/
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Colton

Who qualifies best to be the modern day Joshua Crane?

Jim Colton or Tim Bert

John Mayhugh

P.S. In reading it, please see how our heroes argued back then - yes, it
could get personal but there was much to learn in following the flow of the
debate. Hopefully, one day they'll say the same about this Discussion Group  ;)  8)
Hear, hear!

Bob,
Very interesting read.  I really enjoyed the discussion of fairness and how that concept in golf was related to other sports of the day. Looking forward to more. 

Jim,
If you and Tim collaborated on a system, would a lot of numbers be involved?   ;D ;)

Mike_Young

Bob
Congratulations on this piece.  I know you have worked for a good while....I am sending copies to your brothers so they can see how well one writes after Harvard ;)   
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom MacWood

Bob
Very well written and well presented, I only wish we got the whole thing at once.

Peter Pallotta

I had the pleasure of reading Bob's essay a while back, and I'm happy to congratulate him again on the very fine work he's done. What I think is most important about Crane is that he made (and forced his 'opponents' to make) explicit a fundamental set of philosophies/belief systems about the nature of golf and the ideals of golf course architecture -- philosophies/belief systems that time and again over the last hundred years have gone underground and become implicit assumptions that, without discussion or debate, end up dominating the way golf courses are thought about and influencing/determining the way golf courses are designed.  After reading Bob's essay, I ended up liking (and even admiring) Joshua Crane more than ever before, not least because he took a subject he thought important and had the smarts and the passion to make it important. And needless to say, everything I just wrote (and certainly anything I just wrote that has any merit) came to mind because/out of Bob's work here.

Peter  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:00:31 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Tony_Muldoon

Part 2 is now online.

Bob thanks for sharing this with us on here. This is mostly all new to me and its fascinatin' stuff. So far I’m completely bowled over and just hope the other two parts are released before I go on holiday.

Q I'm sure you don't get into speculating in the piece, but here would you care to say if Colt might have been influenced by this debate when redesigning Muirfield?

Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom MacWood

Part 2 is very interesting. I've two questions or observations about part 2.

Its my understanding that Crane system was never designed to measure a course's architectural merit, afterall half his system involves design & upkeep, but instead was designed to measure a course's suitability as a championship venue. Presenting it as an architectural ranking is a little misleading.

My other observation is in regards to fairness, hadn't golf architecture been going in this direction long before Crane? The avoidance of blind shots and cross bunkers as examples.

Peter Pallotta

This is what Crane says (in 1924) about the purposes he intended his ranking system to serve:

"Last summer an after-lunch discussion of the relative merits of the Myopia and Essex courses among several good golfers, most of them members of both clubs, crystallized certain ideas which had been fermenting for some time in an unclassified though not illegal manner and was made the occasion of a thorough study of the elements of sound layout and upkeep.

The result was this method of rating courses in percentages, thus making it possible to compare them directly on their percentage
rating, each element being given certain points, depending on its value relative to all the other component elements. At first thought it seemed impossible to put a mathematical value on such a heterogeneous mass of elements, many of which apparently have no relation to each other, but on analysis into its basic elements, and by proper balancing of the relative values of these elements, a result was obtained which gives an extraordinarily fair measure of comparative excellence.

After the method had been worked out to a successful conclusion, it was found that the value of the tables in giving the comparative
rating of two or more courses was greatly overshadowed by the fact that they furnished an accurate and graphic method of exposing the weak points of any particular course, thus making it simple for a golf architect to record his criticism and suggestions for future use for both himself and the green committee of that particular club. Then, by marking the weak elements on the chart with a red pencil, he could place a graphic criticism and a permanent record before that green committee as a goal toward which it might work. As funds became available, the weakest elements could be remedied first and the others in the order of their importance, thus gradually bringing the course nearer and nearer perfection."

Tom MacWood

Peter
Half of his rating system was weighted toward condition and upkeep (which also included caddies), not something that is necessarily designed. If it was a system for rating or evaluating architecture wouldn't the majority of the points have been devoted to architectural aspects?

This is what the editor of Golf illustrated wrote this about Crane's system:

"These results will be useful not only showing why some courses are better than others, and what elements need strengthening, but primarily to help our local and national committees to select courses which are suitable for tournaments, both in match and medal play."

Peter Pallotta

Tom - I read it differently.

Yes, Crane describes his endeavours/system as examining the elements of both "sound layout and upkeep."  But to what end? Well, he makes that clear: so as to offer the ability to compare courses "directly" and to offer "an extraordinarily fair measure of comparative excellence."  (Was he concerned with maintenance issues? Sure. But no one -- then or now -- focuses on maintenance when comparing the great courses of the world, or determining their excellence; they focus on the design/architecture).

And then what does Crane do with that system/method of comparison? He ranks the most famous courses in the world (the vast majority of which, I think, had held or would soon hold major championships), and then to back up/further explain his system and his thinking, proposes changes to TOC that are purely architectural in nature.  

The discussion that then follows with those who disagree with him again focuses, it seems to me, on the architecture alone.    That Golf llustrated notes that the system would help national committees to select tournament venues is not surprising, nor I think telling -- the only courses Crane was bothering to rank were famous courses that already had or were already in the running to host championships...so naturally, the ones that ranked "highest" would -- if you agreed with the system -- be the best candidates to host future championships.

But I don't think Crane meant for his way of analyizing course architecture to be limited to any one course or another, or to so-called championship courses; I think he was using those kind of courses to bring to light and flesh out an uber-theory about the fundamental principles -- and goals -- of golf course architecture  

Peter  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 05:44:42 PM by Peter Pallotta »

TEPaul

"What I think is most important about Crane is that he made (and forced his 'opponents' to make) explicit a fundamental set of philosophies/belief systems about the nature of golf and the ideals of golf course architecture -- philosophies/belief systems that time and again over the last hundred years have gone underground and become implicit assumptions that, without discussion or debate, end up dominating the way golf courses are thought about and influencing/determining the way golf courses are designed."

Peter:

I think you're right about that and you know how much we discussed this when Bob was thinking about it and then writing it. I believe, as I think Bob does, that the debate sort of came off a lot different than Crane forsaw it or originally cast it or wanted it to. Crane said at first that his mathematical rating system probably wasn't perfect and that he hoped many others would review it and help him improve it.

Well, obviously some like Behr and Ambrose took the whole thing another way and really came out swinging with both fists. They took it as either disrespectful to some famous courses, mostly TOC, or just plain off-the-mark or worse yet perhaps remarkably dangerous on how anyone should view or feel about a golf course. And consequently it got personal and pretty nasty real fast.

Bob said (to me) he thinks Behr may've gone a bit over the top in a debating sense and essentially recast the whole debate into something Crane may not have visualized in the first place or had foreseen. Nevertheless, even if Behr did recast the whole thing into something that was more about his own concerns about the future direction of the game and its architecture he surely did do an amazingly beautiful job of articulating it.

Behr said, and with MacKenzie and Macdonald and even Bob Jones following him in saying, one should just not try to mathematize golf architecture or cast it in a stictly scientific context because in the end it was really mostly all about EMOTION anyway and one can never mathematically analyze emotion and should never try.

And of course Behr totally nailed Crane in a debating sense when Crane actually or perhaps accidentally ;) wrote that he was even sad and disappointed that his own mathematical system so low rated TOC because he really loved it.

With that Behr immediately hit him with something like; "What is this, the man constructs a scientific and mathematical method of rating without considering his OWN MIND?!?"

Behr was a beauty, that's for sure. To Piper in the early 1920s Alan Wilson wrote; "Max is never really happy unless he is in the middle of some controversy."

And a letter from Max was passed around through Piper and some others in which Max said he felt Hugh Wilson had virtually saved the world with what he had done at Merion East. Hugh seemed to sort of chuckle when he replied: "Well, I always thought it was pretty good but I didn't know I saved the world with it."

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 06:19:31 PM by TEPaul »

Paul_Turner

Bob

I'm curious about what Crane wrote regarding Colt's 13th at Muirfield,  it was always a controversial hole and Darwin hated it (it only lasted about 10 years).
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tom MacWood

Tom - I read it differently.

Yes, Crane describes his endeavours/system as examining the elements of both "sound layout and upkeep."  But to what end? Well, he makes that clear: so as to offer the ability to compare courses "directly" and to offer "an extraordinarily fair measure of comparative excellence."  (Was he concerned with maintenance issues? Sure. But no one -- then or now -- focuses on maintenance when comparing the great courses of the world, or determining their excellence; they focus on the design/architecture).

And then what does Crane do with that system/method of comparison? He ranks the most famous courses in the world (the vast majority of which, I think, had held or would soon hold major championships), and then to back up/further explain his system and his thinking, proposes changes to TOC that are purely architectural in nature.  

The discussion that then follows with those who disagree with him again focuses, it seems to me, on the architecture alone.    That Golf llustrated notes that the system would help national committees to select tournament venues is not surprising, nor I think telling -- the only courses Crane was bothering to rank were famous courses that already had or were already in the running to host championships...so naturally, the ones that ranked "highest" would -- if you agreed with the system -- be the best candidates to host future championships.

But I don't think Crane meant for his way of analyizing course architecture to be limited to any one course or another, or to so-called championship courses; I think he was using those kind of courses to bring to light and flesh out an uber-theory about the fundamental principles -- and goals -- of golf course architecture  

Peter  

Peter
If it was a system to measure architecture why are half the points devoted to non-architectural factors?

I believe they didn't criticize his ideas on condition and upkeep because they agreed with his ideas. He was advocating well maintained consistent conditions. Who didn't want well maintained consistent conditions. And who didn't want good caddies - which was also part of condition and upkeep numbers.

From what I understand the proposed changes to TOC came many years after he abandoned his system.

Peter Pallotta

Tom M - I don't know that we'd disagree there: yes, the system also judged conditioning (part of his 'fairness' campaign, I'd imagine), and yes, his opponents didn't criticize his ideas on upkeep and conditioning (probably because they agreed with them.) Which means that what was left was a discussion/debate about architecture. But maybe I'm not picking up on the distinction you're making... (Oh, and you're right about the proposed changes to TOC coming much later; I was way off on that).

TE - Yes, the issue of Behr having re-cast the whole debate is a very interesting element of all this, and Bob is probably right; but for the life of me I'm not able to understand the issue very well at all...not because (I don't think) I don't understand what Behr, Mac and Jones are talking about, but because I think I'm still missing some of the, for lack of a better word, nuance of Crane's essential/original argument

Peter    
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 10:59:49 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Sean_A

"What I think is most important about Crane is that he made (and forced his 'opponents' to make) explicit a fundamental set of philosophies/belief systems about the nature of golf and the ideals of golf course architecture -- philosophies/belief systems that time and again over the last hundred years have gone underground and become implicit assumptions that, without discussion or debate, end up dominating the way golf courses are thought about and influencing/determining the way golf courses are designed."

Peter:

I think you're right about that and you know how much we discussed this when Bob was thinking about it and then writing it. I believe, as I think Bob does, that the debate sort of came off a lot different than Crane forsaw it or originally cast it or wanted it to. Crane said at first that his mathematical rating system probably wasn't perfect and that he hoped many others would review it and help him improve it.

Well, obviously some like Behr and Ambrose took the whole thing another way and really came out swinging with both fists. They took it as either disrespectful to some famous courses, mostly TOC, or just plain off-the-mark or worse yet perhaps remarkably dangerous on how anyone should view or feel about a golf course. And consequently it got personal and pretty nasty real fast.

Bob said (to me) he thinks Behr may've gone a bit over the top in a debating sense and essentially recast the whole debate into something Crane may not have visualized in the first place or had foreseen. Nevertheless, even if Behr did recast the whole thing into something that was more about his own concerns about the future direction of the game and its architecture he surely did do an amazingly beautiful job of articulating it.

Behr said, and with MacKenzie and Macdonald and even Bob Jones following him in saying, one should just not try to mathematize golf architecture or cast it in a stictly scientific context because in the end it was really mostly all about EMOTION anyway and one can never mathematically analyze emotion and should never try.

And of course Behr totally nailed Crane in a debating sense when Crane actually or perhaps accidentally ;) wrote that he was even sad and disappointed that his own mathematical system so low rated TOC because he really loved it.

With that Behr immediately hit him with something like; "What is this, the man constructs a scientific and mathematical method of rating without considering his OWN MIND?!?"

Behr was a beauty, that's for sure. To Piper in the early 1920s Alan Wilson wrote; "Max is never really happy unless he is in the middle of some controversy."

And a letter from Max was passed around through Piper and some others in which Max said he felt Hugh Wilson had virtually saved the world with what he had done at Merion East. Hugh seemed to sort of chuckle when he replied: "Well, I always thought it was pretty good but I didn't know I saved the world with it."

Tom

There is a world of difference between loving a course and thinking it is a great course.  Surely even Maxus Longwindus Behr could see that.

Bob

I look forward to reading your long awaited piece.  Cheers.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

TEPaul

"Tom
There is a world of difference between loving a course and thinking it is a great course."

To whom?

BCrosby

Tony -

I doubt that Colt was influenced by Crane re his changes at Muirfield. But it is interesting to note that in the spring of '24 Field agreed to publish a long series of pieces by Josh Crane. Field at the time was the pre-eminent gentleman's sporting magazine. A Tory bastion. Which suggests that by the spring of '24 Crane and his ideas were already well known and respected in the UK. Certainly Croome, the magazine's golf editor, must have thought so. But whether Crane's ideas influenced Colt's plans for Muirfield would be pure speculation and, it seems to me, unlikely in any event. It would be a wonderful bombshell to be proven wrong.

Paul -

Crane said the following about the 13th at Muirfield:

"The thirteenth, of 170 yards, is an outstanding hole of its length.  The only weaknesses are the character and contour of rough around the green.  The contour is something like that of the Postage Stamp at Troon, but the result is quite different, for the left-hand trap on the latter is a severe threat, as is the bunker beyond, while here the bank on the left and behind allow of considerable latitude and longitude in the shot without the devastating results as at Troon.  The contour of the green is not quite up to the best, as is the case of many of these greens.  The visibility here is the outstanding feature.  The rating is curiously enough exactly the same as the thirteenth at Hoylake, 95.5 per cent.  A bit below that of the Whaup’s Nest at Gleneagles (97.4 per cent.), and that of the fourth here (97.3 per cent), but excelled by no other holes of its length in Great Britain, and by only one so far analysed in America, the third at Kittansett.  Again it must be understood that this rating is on Design and Layout only."

In short, he liked the 13th, ranking it among the best par 3's he rated. BTW, I note a couple of times in my piece that Crane used only his Design and Layout numbers when comparing courses.

Bob

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:18:34 PM by BCrosby »

Tom MacWood

BTW, I note a couple of times in my piece that Crane used only his Design and Layout numbers when comparing courses.

Bob

Bob
Here is a link to an article from 1926 Golf Illustrated where Crane compares courses. Isn't he including condition in these comparisons?

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/GolfIllustrated/1926/gi244k.pdf

Paul_Turner

Crane's analysis of Sunningdale Old:  his rating system seems to discriminate against short par 4s?  3rd, 11th and 9th.

Also the 7th in 1926 had two blind shots (both the tee shot and approach) which I guess is why he rated it so low.  This was Park's original hole and I wonder if it was the impetus for Colt to move the green to its present site in 1927??
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

BCrosby

Tom -

He is. But he notes elsewhere that when comparing courses the one variable that can't be held constant is conditioning and he suggests that it should be discounted it when doing comparisons. With many of the details of his final ranking numbers, it's hard to tell how he weighed things. But I agree, perhaps my statement was too broad.

Bob      

BCrosby

Crane's analysis of Sunningdale Old:  his rating system seems to discriminate against short par 4s?  3rd, 11th and 9th.

Also the 7th in 1926 had two blind shots (both the tee shot and approach) which I guess is why he rated it so low.  This was Park's original hole and I wonder if it was the impetus for Colt to move the green to its present site in 1927??

Paul - I don't know of anything in Crane's system that would have discriminated against short holes per se. As for the blindness issue, Crane hated anything to do with it, but then a lot of people felt that way about blind holes at the time. It would be hard to single out Crane as a prime cause for the changes.

Bob

Sean_A

"Tom
There is a world of difference between loving a course and thinking it is a great course."

To whom?

To me of course and I suspect many other who wax on about their childhood haunts etc etc etc.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back