GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

How did The Masters become a major?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Anthony Butler:

--- Quote from: Tom_Doak on August 04, 2009, 08:43:51 AM ---I know that Bob Drum and Dan Jenkins decided in 1960 that the "modern" Grand Slam consisted of the four we talk about today, when Palmer had already won the Masters and the US Open.

Did anyone talk about how many "majors" they had won in the 1940's or 1950's?  I don't remember it being a particular goal of Hogan or Snead.  There has been much talk about 1953 when Hogan won the three but couldn't play in the PGA because it was the week after the British Open and no one was flying back then ... if it had really been considered "the fourth major" would they have scheduled it that way?

--- End quote ---

He most likely wouldn't have played either way. Considering each day was 36 holes of matchplay, did Hogan even play the PGA as a matchplay event after his accident?

Adrian_Stiff:
I think if there was a defined year then probably 1960 would have been it. They were just tournaments and as Tom points out if winning the four was so important why the bad scheduling. Hogan played 36 last day at Carnoustie, the actual Open was over 3 days in those days although there was a 36 hole qualifier on the monday and tuesday with no exceptions, Hogan as the 53 winner would have been required to earn his place in the qualifier for the 1954 one.
Hogan never played in the USPGA again after his 1948 win .

Phil Benedict:
The Bob Jones connection, the overlap with spring training and clever marketing all combined to make the Masters a special event fairly early on, although not necessarily of equal status with the US Open.  The fact that it was televised in 1960 is pretty much indicative of its importance on the golf calendar by then.  

Robert Kimball:
From my reading, apparenty Jones was resistant to the Masters becoming anything more than a get together for his friends in golf.

I think Sarazen really helped things along in '35 -- and the opportunity to see Jones in "competition" again was too much for the press to resist. I believe the 4th Estate had more to do with The Masters becoming a major than anything else. Maybe Cliff had a hand in that as well.  :)

Another somewhat random thought: I can remember reading not too long ago in golf publications that Nicklaus was credited with "20" Major Championships. Nowadays they refer only to his 18 professional ones.

I am sure there are other Augusta aficionados more knowedgeable than I whom I would love to hear from . . . .

-- Rob

Adrian_Stiff:
Jack's 20 now referred as 18 Professional majors seemed to disappear when Tiger emerged and started collecting them, he ofcourse has 3 US Am wins. Two years ago it seemed nailed on Tiger would go past Jack, Jack always said he thought Tiger would go past as long as he stayed fit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version