News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

Rich Harvest Fams golf course?
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:32:12 PM »
What does anyone know about this course, where I read that the Solheim Cup will be played in a couple of weeks?  Got to admit I never heard of it before.

Matt_Ward

Re: Rich Harvest Fams golf course?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:39:06 PM »
Carl:

The golf course is called Rich Harvest Farms -- located a small drive from Chicago.

Plenty has been discussed about the course on this site a number of times -- most recently -- the thread I started with the tagline of
"Most Overrated Courses."

The main contention is when the course moved into the top 100 layouts in the USA by Digest.

Difficulty is a big part of the contoversy as well as a few holes that are bit "intense" for just about all levels of players (.e.g 13th hole).

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:48:08 PM »
Beware of "Snead's Crotch" and "The Devil's Elbow".

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »
It's #46 in Golf Digest's Top 100 courses in the U.S.

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »
I know they have an onsite car museum and an astroturf tee. And it was designed by an 'amateur' designer. I don't know much about the course itself; but I do know the head pro there fairly well.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 10:03:43 PM »
but I do know the head pro there fairly well.

That might be one of the toughest gigs in golf.  The car museum is pretty neat as is the locker room.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
Rich Harvest may have the best practice facility I have ever seen.   Also, I believe it has the best halfway house imaginable.  Fully stocked bar, no bartender, no tab.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 10:48:35 PM »
This link should help. 

http://www.richharvestfarms.com/about.aspx

I played the course five years ago or so.  It was difficult to know how to rate the course because many of the holes so many options for play.  I rather like it.  I don't think it is top 100 quality but the experience certainly is. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:36:59 PM »
I like the idea of all that flexibility on certain holes.  Hopefully the Solheim Cup setter-uppers take full advantage of that golf course malleability.

I'm looking forward to watching it this year.  It was fun to see when it was at Crooked Stick a few years ago.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jeff Tang

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 10:50:40 AM »
Rich Harvest has the ability to be as long and difficult as anyone setting up the course wants it to be. There is a lot of room out there and the course can already be stretched to a huge distance. There are also a few holes that can play very tight. My understanding is that number 13 has had some tree reduction which it really needed and will now play more open. I also have read that the artificial tees have been replaced with natural grass, don't know if this is permanent or just for the Solheim Cup.

Overall I liked the course but there were a few holes that I didn't care for but this was mainly attributable to too many trees on some of the holes. The multiple tees give many of the holes different looks altogether depending on the tee played and I liked this aspect of the course. I thought it was a fun difficult course to play, it did not seem like a total grind like a lot of really difficult courses can be.

The greens were lightening quick and very true.

The entire compound is pretty cool and I would agree the practice facilities are very nice. If anyone has the opportunity to make it out to the course I think it is definitely worth a look.
So bad it's good!

Mark Smolens

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »
I had a great time on my one day around RH.  The flexibility of the tees makes for a fun day (you can turn a 420 yard par-4 into a par-5 or a driveable 4 very easily).  The course was in great condition.  The tour of the car museum is worth the trip on its own. . .

Tim Pitner

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »
I had a great time on my one day around RH.  The flexibility of the tees makes for a fun day (you can turn a 420 yard par-4 into a par-5 or a driveable 4 very easily).  The course was in great condition.  The tour of the car museum is worth the trip on its own. . .

I don't know Rich Harvest Farms, but this type of praise--including praise for the lack of tee markers at Ballyneal--puzzles me.  Can't you do the very same thing on virtually any course?  You just hop around from blue tees to black to white to red, as you choose.  The trick is to place the tee boxes well.  Not putting tee markers out isn't that clever, IMO. 

Jim Colton

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 03:18:31 PM »

I don't know Rich Harvest Farms, but this type of praise--including praise for the lack of tee markers at Ballyneal--puzzles me.  Can't you do the very same thing on virtually any course?  You just hop around from blue tees to black to white to red, as you choose.  The trick is to place the tee boxes well.  Not putting tee markers out isn't that clever, IMO. 

Tim,  you've probably been to Ballyneal more times than any non-member on this site, have you found that you've played more of the available tee boxes at Ballyneal than you have at other places where they tell you where to tee off from?  Aren't most golfers going to resist the notion of tee hopping, even if there's no real reason to resist?  I agree with you that the flexibility only matters if the different tee boxes are adding some value or variety to the hole.  If it's 5 tee boxes all in a row just 10 yards apart, then it probably doesn't matter much.  In the case of RH, it sounds like it does add value because you're getting a completely different look on some holes.  I'm sure the members that are playing there repeatedly appreciate the options.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 03:30:34 PM »
Jim,

I'm not sure what you say is true, but I have greatly appreciated having the opportunity to play what is a fantastic course.  If you told me it was the best course in the world, I wouldn't dispute you. 

I agree that not putting the markers out encourages moving around.  What puzzles me is when people cite not having tee markers as one of the things that makes Ballyneal great.  I wouldn't put that in my top 20 reasons.  IMO, it wouldn't take that much to encourage tee hopping even with markers present.  A few members who play that way is all that it would take.  So, while I have no problem with not having the markers, I don't see it as the masterstroke that many do. 

Jim Colton

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 03:38:40 PM »
Jim,

I'm not sure what you say is true, but I have greatly appreciated having the opportunity to play what is a fantastic course.  If you told me it was the best course in the world, I wouldn't dispute you. 

I agree that not putting the markers out encourages moving around.  What puzzles me is when people cite not having tee markers as one of the things that makes Ballyneal great.  I wouldn't put that in my top 20 reasons.  IMO, it wouldn't take that much to encourage tee hopping even with markers present.  A few members who play that way is all that it would take.  So, while I have no problem with not having the markers, I don't see it as the masterstroke that many do. 

Tim,

I can tell you that each time I go out to Ballyneal, I appreciate the lack of tee markers more and more.  I'm a little surprised it hasn't grown on you.  I think it was nothing short of genius on the part of the O'Neals -- a radical decision that now seems perfectly natural and consistent with the rest of the club. If you're in a match, having honors and picking where to tee off from can be a huge strategic advantage.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »
Jim,

I played (more or less) the BallyBandon routing at Sheep Ranch so maybe I just lack imagination. 

Mark Smolens

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 04:52:02 PM »
Tim,
I certainly didn't find at Ballyneal the diversity in tee box locations that we played at Rich Harvest.  This is most probably a function of the fact that the course began with the construction of three (or maybe six?) greens, and diversely placed tee boxes from which to attack those greens.  A lot of those alternate tee boxes continue to be maintained, and our host (Mr. Hansberger from Vulcan Golf in St. Charles) knew intimately well how to convert the holes we played in the morning into completely different holes.  It isn't that they don't put out tee markers.  In our pm round we ignored them and played the holes from disparate aspects.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 05:09:32 PM »
Can someone who has been there confirm that their appears to be TWO of the coolest driving ranges at RHF -- one on each side of the golf course? It looks unreal from google maps -- as does the golf course.

Jim Colton

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 05:13:51 PM »
Can someone who has been there confirm that their appears to be TWO of the coolest driving ranges at RHF -- one on each side of the golf course? It looks unreal from google maps -- as does the golf course.

Tony,

Yes, I believe they set-up a completely different compound for the Solheim Cup which includes its own clubhouse/lodging and separate practice area.

Jim

Tim Pitner

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 05:14:01 PM »
Tim,
I certainly didn't find at Ballyneal the diversity in tee box locations that we played at Rich Harvest.  This is most probably a function of the fact that the course began with the construction of three (or maybe six?) greens, and diversely placed tee boxes from which to attack those greens.  A lot of those alternate tee boxes continue to be maintained, and our host (Mr. Hansberger from Vulcan Golf in St. Charles) knew intimately well how to convert the holes we played in the morning into completely different holes.  It isn't that they don't put out tee markers.  In our pm round we ignored them and played the holes from disparate aspects.

Thanks Mark--I wasn't sure what the deal was at Rich Harvest.  

Mark Smolens

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 05:56:46 PM »
My bad in not making my original post clear enough. . .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back