News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Which Golf Publication's Course Rankings
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2009, 11:39:48 AM »
Oh we're all friends, Jim T.

;D

Curious what you find to be "political" about the process.  I'd buy "screwed up", I'd really buy "imperfect".. but political I do not understand.  Please explain.

Tom Yost

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2009, 11:51:33 AM »
Doesn't the purchase of advertising improve ranking?  Much like the equipment ratings?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2009, 12:00:11 PM »
Tom Y. - dig the picture by your posts.  Strangelove, oh yes.

But my oh my was that one heck of an atom bomb of an acquisition you just threw out.  I sure hope it's not true.  But of course in this crazy cynical world, who knows?

Jim Colton

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2009, 12:26:30 PM »
Jim:

What we have here is a basic misunderstanding.

The fallacy I attributed to you was that GW raters have NO LOVE for Fazio.  If that is indeed not at what you implied, then fair enough.  My apologies.

I still don't think the facts support that GD has more love for Fazio than does GW; for the primary reason that the two methodologies are so very different that there is no way to tell.  But we shall agree to disagree about that, I suppose.

In any case this all hearkens back to stuff way before your time here.... the real myth that Fazio sucks, GW raters get that and show it in their ratings.  I know that is not what you said, so my apologies for hitting on that rather than what you truly meant.

It's very sore subject, that's all.  We GD guys get kinda tired of it from time to time and decide to fight back.  I guess I just need to pick the right enemies!
 ;D

Huck,

I think we are saying the same thing, or you are proving my point.  I guess I should've put the word 'relative' in my initial comment.  If you combined the three magazines and called that your baseline, then analyzed if there were any trends in how the magazines deviated from the baseline, you'd see the Fazio (and Engh and Jack) would trend relatively higher under GD, C&C would trend relatively higher under GW.  That's not to say one is right or wrong.  It could be the anti-Fazio contingent that you talk about is dragging the baseline down for Fazio (I actually only see a slight downward bias in GW, it's stronger in Golf Mag), and that's what is causing GD to look relatively higher.

I know Erin Hills is kept out of the process in GD, but do GD raters still rate it and Whitten just excludes it later?  Or is it off the ballot completely?  Would Erin Hills be a top 100 course if it were included?  By explicitly excluding it, it implicitly seems to get the benefit of the doubt.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »
You lost me there, Jim.  Let me more clearly spell out what I am thinking about all of this.

1.  The accusation in here for many years has been that GW raters are smart and therefore dislike Fazio and love C&C; whereas GD raters are morons who worship Fazio and can't see the greatness in C&C. 

2.  Your brief statement seemed to echo that.

3.  I railed against it, because I don't find much if any of that to be true.

4.  Further on, I see that that is not really what you are saying (at least not with the vitriol of others in here).

5.  Thus I apologized.

Is that better?

No clue how things work re Erin Hills, btw.  I am just a peon foot-soldier.

TH

Jim Colton

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:21 PM »
Tom,

Gotcha.  No apology needed.  For the record, you'll never see me blast somebody for having an opinion -- unless it's my buddy Jim Tang -- especially when it something like what you like or don't like in golf courses.  There is no right answer.  I just talked to a guy this week that has Wolf Creek rated higher than Pac Dunes.  I know another guy who has Ballyneal ranked right next to Tullymore.  They are both passionate about the game and have seen and played a lot of courses, there's no way I can dismiss their opinions as somehow inferior to mine.  I don't agree with them, but to each his own.

Tom Yost

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »

But my oh my was that one heck of an atom bomb of an acquisition you just threw out. 

"No one expects the Spanish Acquisition! "

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2009, 09:37:42 AM »

But my oh my was that one heck of an atom bomb of an acquisition you just threw out. 

"No one expects the Spanish Acquisition! "

LOL!
Well done.. and that is one hell of a freudian slip / massive typo by me... of course I meant accusation.. whoa, funny how the mind works at times.

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back