News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Old Marsh Golf Club, PBG, Florida
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:23:12 AM »
I had the chance to play here yesterday. The last time I saw the golf course, it still had bentgrass and working on bentgrass in south Florida didn’t really excite me at the time. I'm surprised that OM does not garner more conversation here. Take away the crazy mounding of the 5th hole, and I think that this course is not just an engineering feat, but also a VERY solid golf course, better than Harbor Town, in my opinion. Every drop of rain/irrigation water that is used on the golf course and flows into the drains is distributed into the marshes and re used.
  All the greens and tees are low profile; none of the greens are elevated and appear to just be extensions of the fairways. Each green has tightly mowed chipping area around them, with many of these areas spilling into the next teeing ground. (#4 green to #5 tee, #7 green to #8 tee, #10 green to #11 tee, etc...) There is such a demand on a well placed tee shot at OM because most of the fairways have a waste area/marsh on one side and mounding on the other. The fairways are just slivers of land placed in between marsh areas. There are plenty of doglegs where you can choose how much of the marsh areas you want to bite off, but the greens just fascinate me. They are VERY small, equal to the size of Harbor Town if not smaller. All the greens just have small pockets where there is 1foot to 1 ½ foot contours, that’s it. I think that this course should be a modern Top 100 as Pete used his creativity and really created a very good product. If you ever have a chance to play OM, do it. It’s not going to beat you with length (7021 from the tips) but you really have to have control of your ball because of the side of the greens, the chipping areas that surround them and the necessity to have a well placed tee shot. Well done Pete!

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:31:19 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Old Marsh Golf Club, PBG, Florida
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 12:16:37 PM »
Tony,

I've always liked Old Marsh, and I agree, it doesn't get enough attention on this site.

I think one criticism might be valid, namely, the constant spectre of a watery grave on almost every hole.

There's a pressure at Old Marsh that's almost constant, keeping one's ball out of the water.
It has an errosive nature on the experience.

The first time I played Old Marsh, my host made several bets with me on the number of balls I would lose to the "water".

That was my first indication that quite a challenge lay ahead.

As to the mounds on # 5, I like them, it's Pete's tribute to # 17 at Prestwick, rock and all.
When the hole is cut far right, it may be too punitive as the water is very close to the green, but, the hole is a clear departure from anything that exists in South Florida and many points North.

Old Marsh has always been one of the best conditioned golf courses in South Florida.
There's usually a good breeze to add to the challenge.
There are a lot of good holes, but, the abundance of water hazards has its critics.

While the fairways are generous, the wind reduces their effective width, and sooner or later, most people will go through a sleeve or two.

Old Marsh is very well run and very well maintained.
I think it's a terrific golf course, but, I can see how some find it overwhelming.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »
I played Old Marsh a few years ago as part of a great boys weekend - Old Marsh, Medalist, McArthur and Dye Preserve - the four of us each had our own favorites - I don't remember the details, but the feel of Old Marsh was wonderful - classy place, great practice area, excellent caddies - terrific course and a really solid 'golf club' - it is high on my list for a potential home base when I move south in a few years!l

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 12:25:20 PM »
Keith,

I'd agree with all of your points.

But, the constant threat of water turns some golfers sour.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:31:57 PM »
I think that #5 is a neat hole, similar to #5 at Long Cove...

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Keith Phillips

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:36:43 PM »
Patrick, I must have been in (rare) good form because I HATE penal courses, including overabundant water - Old Marsh definitely has a reputation as being a course for 'better players'  

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 01:27:08 PM »
Keith,

Like you, I think Old Marsh's practice facility and caddy program are second to none.

It's certainly a "golfer's" golf facility.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 09:37:09 PM »
Long time ago but I do remember the constant pressure of long carries from the tee combined with water on one side or the other. Angelo Argea, Nicklaus's longtime caddie, was the caddie master.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:18 PM »
The only time I played there was with a club pro friend -- a very straight hitter who missed two of the first three fairways "short" and wet.  It was a quite relentless test of driving back then (15+ years ago).  Has it mellowed somewhat as people hit it longer?

I remember Mr. Dye was quite proud of the greens there and the fact that all of them laid on the ground.  He told me that every green was the same elevation at the front and back ... no back-to-front tilt to them, just internal contours shedding water in all directions ... and half the greens were built so you could bounce the ball in.  But, he said, nobody ever tried that shot.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 10:35:34 PM »
The only time I played there was with a club pro friend -- a very straight hitter who missed two of the first three fairways "short" and wet.  It was a quite relentless test of driving back then (15+ years ago).  Has it mellowed somewhat as people hit it longer?

Tom, I believe that the course remains a relentless driving test.
By the way, the approach shots aren't any picnic.
It's a genuine challenge.
Wide fairways lull the golfer into a false sense of security.

I remember Mr. Dye was quite proud of the greens there and the fact that all of them laid on the ground.  He told me that every green was the same elevation at the front and back ... no back-to-front tilt to them, just internal contours shedding water in all directions ...

That's very interesting.
I'll have to examine the putting surfaces more closely on my next visit.

and half the greens were built so you could bounce the ball in.  But, he said, nobody ever tried that shot.

I can't imagine bouncing the ball into the greens in the summer, but, some of the approaches to the greens are quite generous.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back