News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Harold Sampson
« on: July 23, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »
From what I know Sampson was a pro on the west coast, and he dabbled in golf architecture. Does anyone know more about him?

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Harold Sampson
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:37:33 AM »

West Coast of Scotland ;)

Although shrinking, the world is still a big place. West Coast of where - near Oban perhaps ;D

Have a nice day, Tom

Melvyn

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:52:46 AM »
The other west coast...although an Oban does sound good.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:04:55 AM »
Tom,
Found a couple of things:
At one time he was the Pro at Burlingame GC. He is credited with building the first 'documented course in the Sierra Nevadas', he was 'responsible for the 16th and 18th at Pebble Beach', and he swapped the 13th and 14 holes at SFGC, along with building a new 15th, during the freeway construction. He also wrote "Primer of Golf Instruction" in 1932.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom MacWood

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 12:12:55 PM »
Sampson was the pro at Del Monte right before Pebble Beach was built and continued on a few years after it was built. I think his first job as at the Presideo GC. I believe he credited with designing Woobridge too.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:07:07 PM »
Tom,

Coincidentally (amazingly, actually), I have a page from an old golf magazine (December 1924) sitting in front of me with an advert. for Harold Sampson's club-making business. It reads:

CORRECT CLUBS ARE NECESSARY

Why handicap yourself with an inferior set of Clubs? The star golfer never does.
Harold Sampson has helped to select the sets of many of the best golfers in this district for the past ten years, and specializes in this work.
Let him help you arrange a properly balanced set, so that you will not have one club built for a hook, another for a slice, one too upright, another too flat: and to see that they are correctly matched as regards to angle of face, each club for a different distance, - not a superfluous collection of mongrels that do not run together but merely have different names.
Perhaps you need some particular club to fill out your set. Harold Sampson carries a complete line of all the best imported and domestic clubs, which he personally selects and makes, thereby producing the very highest quality of golf club.

Xmas Suggestions:
A HAROLD SAMPSON
SET OF WOODS
SET OF IRONS
OR COMPLETE SET OF CLUBS

Phone or address him at
BURLINGAME COUNTRY CLUB
BURLINGAME, CALIFORNIA
jeffmingay.com

Tom MacWood

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 04:51:41 PM »
Jeff
It sounds like Sampson was more of a club fitter than clubmaker.

From what I understand he was one of the few American born professionals.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back