News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

The Teeing Ground
« on: July 20, 2009, 08:40:04 PM »
How important is the teeing ground to a successful golf hole?

I think it's extremely important - the elevation above or below the fairway, the width, the angle - all important factors.

And it can be the most beautiful part of a hole.  Look at Turnberry's 9th hole or Pebble Beach 18. 

Or, getting away from the ocean, I'd say that Merion East 16 is a utterly fantastic teeing ground - the way it rivets your attention on the quarry and that famous green surface.

What are some other great examples?  Or examples where a subpar teeing ground hurts what otherwise would have been a great golf hole?

Carl Johnson

Re: The Teeing Ground
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:17:49 PM »
The first at Prestwick.  The first at TOC.  In the abstract, pedestrian.  In the context, everything.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »
Playing CECC this w/e I thought about how much fun the various teeing grounds available on the par four 15th hole.

- Far back (hill on the right) and on fairway level creating a straight hole
- Elevated (on a hill) and inline with the fairway, trees right and bunkers left
- Elevated (on a hill) and creating a dog leg right, with bunkers straight ahead
- Elevated and father forward bringing some trees into play for a longer hitter looking to cut the corner

They were my favorite element of this hole.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:29:09 PM »
Bob,
CECC?  Columbia-Edgewater CC?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 09:36:50 PM »
Columbia-Edgewater CC - correct - sorry I assume everyone is from Portland and knows CECC (I know you do).

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 09:56:04 PM »
Next door, Riverside 13 is a horrible example.  The tee is adjacent to a county prison! 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back