News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

2009 Senior British Open - Sunningdale
« on: July 20, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »
http://www.seniorbritishopen.com/

I would love it if Tom Watson could rebound and win the Senior British Open this week at Sunningdale but wouldn't be surprised if his game was off.

This year the event is being played at Sunningdale.  I read that it's going to be the strongest field in the 23 years of the tournament with Watson, Faldo, Langer, Norman and defending champion Bruce Vaughn.

David Stamm

Re: 2009 Senior British Open - Sunningdale
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 04:38:23 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing the course. Any chance that this could be a test by the R&A to see if it could serve as a future Open venue? I think it would be really cool to see Sunningdale play host, but I'm afraid it would have to lengthened significantly.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing the course. Any chance that this could be a test by the R&A to see if it could serve as a future Open venue? I think it would be really cool to see Sunningdale play host, but I'm afraid it would have to lengthened significantly.

......and somehow become a links course!  Senior Opens have been played on non-links, but never the Open Championship.

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:42:17 PM »

LINKS Magazine just had a feature on 10 courses that 'could' host an Open.  For each they gave a why and why not.  The Open has only been held on links courses, not to say it couldn't change.  (At one point wasn't the U.S. Open played on grass like Wimbledon?)

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »

(At one point wasn't the U.S. Open played on grass like Wimbledon?)

Yes and clay was used as well.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:46:24 PM »

......and somehow become a links course!  Senior Opens have been played on non-links, but never the Open Championship.

Yeah, I know, Bill. I just think it would be pretty cool to see it on a heathland every once in a while. Sunningdale, I'm sure you would agree, would not disappoint. Oh well, at least we can watch it this week.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:48:09 PM »
a similar situation:  the week after Langer missed THE putt in the 91 Ryder Cup, he won the German Masters..i always thought that to be an INCREDIBLE feat, tow in the very next week after missing that putt

perhaps Tom  can do the same, although it would be TOTALLY understandable if he was down and his game was off  after this past weekend
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »
[LINKS Magazine just had a feature on 10 courses that 'could' host an Open.  For each they gave a why and why not.  The Open has only been held on links courses, not to say it couldn't change.  (At one point wasn't the U.S. Open played on grass like Wimbledon?)
Here is the full list: 
Ballybunion Golf Club
European Club
Kingsbarns Golf Links
Loch Lomond Golf Club
Portmarnock Golf Club
Royal Aberdeen Golf Club
Royal County Down Golf Club
Royal Dornoch Golf Club
Royal Porthcawl Golf Club
Sunningdale Golf Club

One pet peeve of mine - if it is not the British Open, but "The Open" then why not hold it anywhere that the R&A has jurisdiction over golf, therefore opeing up the possibility of The Open Championship in Australia, Canada, South Africa, etc.

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 04:54:45 PM »
One pet peeve of mine - if it is not the British Open, but "The Open" then why not hold it anywhere that the R&A has jurisdiction over golf, therefore opeing up the possibility of The Open Championship in Australia, Canada, South Africa, etc.

While they have a constituency that spans the globe, your suggestion is akin to "America's Team" (Cowboys, Braves) playing home games wherever people get cable.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 04:55:13 PM »
Wayne,

Because it really is the British Open or more accurate the UK Open.  They haven't even gone to Ireland to host it yet IIRC..

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 04:57:36 PM »
Wayne,

Because it really is the British Open or more accurate the UK Open.  They haven't even gone to Ireland to host it yet IIRC..

Wrong, Kalen, Royal Portrush in 1951. 

The list above is pretty amusing, as it's pretty obvious the (UK) Open Championship would never be played in the Republic of Ireland, eliminating Ballybunion, The European Club and Portmarnock from the possible future sites!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 05:01:16 PM »
Wayne,

The list above is pretty amusing, as it's pretty obvious the (UK) Open Championship would never be played in the Republic of Ireland, eliminating Ballybunion, The European Club and Portmarnock from the possible future sites!

Ok so 1 out of 130 something....its basically the UK Open...99.3% is close enouigh for me

And I'm going to keep calling it that until they start changing countries!!  ;D

Carl Nichols

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 05:06:16 PM »
Wayne,

Kalen was right, assuming he was distinguishing between the R of Ireland and Northern Ireland (which is where Royal Portrush is). 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 05:14:23 PM »
Wayne,

Kalen was right, assuming he was distinguishing between the R of Ireland and Northern Ireland (which is where Royal Portrush is). 

Carl,

I was indeed making that distinction...Ireland Proper is not the UK.  If Royal Portrush is in N. Ireland, then that is indeed the UK.

Even I know this cause going to Dublin and making the claim that all of Ireland is in the UK would likely get you beat to a bloody pulp!!  ;D

David Kelly

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 05:24:16 PM »
Wayne,

Bill,

That's not Ireland and a McBride should know that.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »
Randy Haag, one of the leading amateur golfers in Northern California for more than a decade and many time club champion of the Olympic Club, has qualified to play in the British Senior Open. I believe he is still competing as an amateur. I will be very interested to see how he does.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »
Randy Haag, one of the leading amateur golfers in Northern California for more than a decade and many time club champion of the Olympic Club, has qualified to play in the British Senior Open. I believe he is still competing as an amateur. I will be very interested to see how he does.

He'll be lucky if he breaks 80.  He's won some really big tournaments including the Crump Cup but this is out of his league.

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 05:56:21 PM »
Joel -

We shall see. Recent past winners Noburu Sugai, Pete Oakley and Bruce Vaughan were pretty much household names only in the own households prior to winning this event! ;)

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:21 PM »
Wayne,

Bill,

That's not Ireland and a McBride should know that.

This McBride, who traces his roots back to 18th Century County Armagh, is keenly aware of the difference.  ;D

The Open Championship could be played, and has been played, in Northern Ireland.  It could not be played, by definition, in the Republic of Ireland.

I would love to see the Open at Royal County Down but afraid the infrastructure today would overswhelm the place.  The Walker Cup fit quite nicely in 2007 but there was no tented city.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
Cmon Bill,

Just admit you were wrong.

Northern Ireland not = Ireland....

;D

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 06:28:01 PM »
Cmon Bill,

Just admit you were wrong.

Northern Ireland not = Ireland....

;D

Kalen you are getting in deep here.  Lets just say that anyone born in Northern Ireland can have an Irish passport if they choose. The clue is in the name of the place, Northern IRELAND You said they haven't even gone to Ireland.  Please send Bill the money to buy us a couple of pints of Guinnesss at the Buda cup and I''m sure we'll forgive you.

And if you think I'm giving you a hard time just hope Jack Marr doesn't see this.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 06:29:45 PM »
I think for the purpose of The Open, it could be played in Great Britain or Ireland, the R & A set the championships and in 1949 The Amateur championship went to Portmarnock, which is Ireland. They certainly consider venues for all their events for GB & I. At the moment there is probably no Irish or Northern Irish venue suitable (because of infrastructure) though.
Sunningdale has been considered as an Open venue along with Wentworth and Ganton but that was a while ago. In the early 60s going inland even got the support from Mr Michael Bonnallock. Sunningdale is far too short, not really extendable and too tight to stage even big men's events, although everyone loves it.
I thought this was the first time the Seniors Open Championship had gone inland.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »

He'll be lucky if he breaks 80.  He's won some really big tournaments including the Crump Cup but this is out of his league.

Whoa. You can't be serious? What is it about a 6,600 yard inland golf course that would prevent Randy from breaking 80? Golf is golf, and he's damn good at it too!

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 06:34:25 PM »
[LINKS Magazine just had a feature on 10 courses that 'could' host an Open.  For each they gave a why and why not.  The Open has only been held on links courses, not to say it couldn't change.  (At one point wasn't the U.S. Open played on grass like Wimbledon?)
Here is the full list:  
Ballybunion Golf Club
European Club
Kingsbarns Golf Links
Loch Lomond Golf Club
Portmarnock Golf Club
Royal Aberdeen Golf Club
Royal County Down Golf Club
Royal Dornoch Golf Club
Royal Porthcawl Golf Club
Sunningdale Golf Club

This is an interesting list of which five of the courses could be eliminated from the get go for obvious reasons.  Of the remaining five the only one I see which could hold the Open is Porthcawl.  The one obvious omission and front runner if there is such a thing, is Deal.  I also think Portrush could hold an Open as they can expand the course and there are enough rooms (far more than Turnberry has!) in the area.  I can't see any other course getting even remotely serious consideration if the R&A ever decided to expand the rota.

For all you freaks out there, Ireland is a geographic and political term - something Americans can't seem to get their heads round. Hence one can be on Ireland (sort of speak), but perhaps not in Ireland.

Ciao    
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:58:24 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tom Birkert

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 06:39:42 PM »

There's no chance of that happening - as has been stated it's not a links, and the course would have to be tricked up a la Carnoustie in 1999 in order to provide a stern challenge. Hosting IFQ for The Open is a nice event and it's a huge honour to be the first non-links to host The Senior Open.

I'm hoping for no rain throughout the week, the greens are pretty firm at the moment and there's some deep rough if you get out of place. If it rains significantly then the scoring will be low.

Langer is my pick to win - he loves the course, has won The European Open when it was played there and is on great form.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back