News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Is my information safe on this web site?
« on: July 17, 2009, 06:34:21 PM »
Is my information safe on this web site?

Initially I considered the prank amusing. After all, had I not posted a new topic on Tiger Wood behaviour on the course at The Open?

Then I realised that my e-mail information with my name has been passed on to a third party without contacting me or advising me.

It was, I suppose meant to be a joke. Who ever it was has signed me up to Tigers Woods.com. However, what this person had not known was that I have been in contact with the site discussing the possibility of Tiger being involved with a new bronze statue of Old Tom that I am trying to arrange.  They contacted me and advise me of the following ”Your nickname did not meet our security criteria”. Of course, it would not as I already had one.

Many may well be wondering what’s the problem. It’s that the possibility that the information gleaned from this site appears to have been used. I of course, cannot prove who did it, however, I don’t find that funny at all. My e-mail details are there to help fellow
Members with information, be it historical or planning a visit to GB&I. I have been contacted by many numbering well over the 100 mark and also sent out many e-mails with information to help fellow Members understand St Andrews & Fife by enclosing street and golf maps of these areas. I have always been willing to put myself out to help others. Therefore, you will please excuse me if I do not see the funny side of this prank. I have held back waiting for a note or e-mail advising me of what has been done. However, none has arrived.

My wife and I have decided it would be wise not to call in to the BUDA proceedings this year.

You decide if I am making much out of nothing or do I have a right to be concerned.

Melvyn

George Pazin

Re: Is my information safe on this web site?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
Of course you have every right to be concerned, I would merely add that you also can't let one bad apple spoil the batch. If I were you, I wouldn't let it affect any decisions regarding the BUDA proceedings, but that's your choice.

Stuff like this stinks. It's unfortunate that one has to be ultra paranoid when participating in any sort of discussion group.

Have a nice weekend, I'm hoping the new old Tom call lift your spirits.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 06:52:11 PM »

You decide if I am making much out of nothing or do I have a right to be concerned.

Melvyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:54:30 PM »
Melvyn,
Of course you have a right to be concerned.  Only one of us can see your email address correct?

The I P address of the joker should be easy to find out if you were to pursue this further.  Fire up the old time machine and let us know who the funny guy is   ;)

Jed Peters

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 06:59:32 PM »
Melvyn:

You take yourself to seriously.

Best,

Jed

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 07:01:57 PM »
Those who objected to your calling out of Tiger's behavior would be the likely suspects.
 It's amazing how people who supposedly love golf enough to actually get into the minutia of architecture do not get into the aspects that separate this sport from all others, In Uncle Boab's words. What a pity.

I hope the culprit is identified, publicly humiliated and barred further access. Especially to others email addy's
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:40:11 PM »
Melvyn, I hope you aren't serious about not stopping by the Buda Cup event.  There are going to be quite a few Americans there hoping for a chance to say hello.

I for one will be very disappointed if you don't make it.  I owe you at least several single malts!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:58:35 PM »
I'll do my best to thwart any kidnap attempts if you end up attending Buda. Should I have my security chief contact you?  ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »
I'll do my best to thwart any kidnap attempts if you end up attending Buda. Should I have my security chief contact you?  ;D

That's a good approach, but MM may be more worried about the American Buda-ites than the outlaws!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 08:13:19 PM »
Melvyn:

You take yourself to seriously.

Best,

Jed

Jed,

Privacy is a serious matter. Melvyn has every right to question what has happened. If it were a friend playing a practical joke, then a friend would self identify as Melvyn indicated in his post above. His assumption now has to be that it was done with malice, since no one came forward.

Beyond this matter. If you think Melvyn takes himself too seriously then you haven't been reading his posts carefully enough. Dan Kelly would be proud of him for getting his jokes and satire across without emoticons. Me? I am such a weak humorist that I have to tag everything with emoticons so half the world is not mad at me. Hopefully, I can keep it to only a 1/4 of the world.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 09:58:26 PM »
Eric,
Not true, yours is eric@5thmajor.com and is visible because you 'let' everyone see it( mine is jkennedy14@yahoo.com). It's too bad that someone wrongly used his info but Melyvn should hide it in the future so that it won't happen again.

MM,
Why on earth would you ask Tiger Woods to be involved with a statue of your ancestor? You've accused TW of having "Appalling Behaviour", of being a "Spoilt little rich boy", and of showing "Contempt for himself and all around him".

Why would you be willing to disregard such despicable behavior when there are other golfers who are as appropriate for the mission, players like Watson or Nicklaus or Palmer or Harrington or Clarke or Montgomerie or Lyle or Lawrie, etc., etc., etc..

I guess you too are willing to overlook his obvious shortcomings if it serves your 'ratings'.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:00:33 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 10:12:27 PM »
Jim,
Log off and then check back on this thread as a guest and tell me if you see our email addresses.  I don't care that you posted it just now but it is not visible to lurkers, only gca members.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 10:13:31 PM »
The I P address of the joker should be easy to find out if you were to pursue this further.  Fire up the old time machine and let us know who the funny guy is   ;)

While I got a very good laugh out of the "prank", I had nothing to do with it. Feel free to pull up IP addresses.

H.P.S.

mike_beene

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 10:59:27 PM »
I am not sure what is going on,but two things:While a losing battle,privacy is very serious(google your own name,it will freak you out what is out there),and second,I have found Melvyn to be both generous with his time and knowledgable.

David Kelly

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 11:04:14 PM »
If you post your email address on the internet you must realize that you will have no control over who accesses it.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 11:18:26 PM »
If you post your email address on the internet you must realize that you will have no control over who accesses it.

Again, MHM didn't post his email address for the world to see.  It COULD ONLY BE SEEN BY THOSE IN THE DG. Same with yours David. Mine too, though Jim did just post mine to a bit larger audience. ;)

David Kelly

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 11:21:59 PM »

Again, MHM didn't post his email address for the world to see.  It COULD ONLY BE SEEN BY THOSE IN THE DG. Same with yours David. Mine too, though Jim did just post mine to a bit larger audience. ;)

Eric,

What do you think this is, the Athenaeum Club?  There are 1500 names signed up on this website, how many of those do you know personally and can vouch for?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 11:26:23 PM »
You're right of course David.  You do agree then that the prank came from within the discussion group?

David Kelly

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 11:55:13 PM »
You're right of course David.  You do agree then that the prank came from within the discussion group?

Probably, but you'll have to excuse me if my heart doesn't bleed for some guy who wrote the following to a fellow member of our always decorous group.
I understand your position, I just do not expect you to get, let alone understand the word courtesy. Once the anger therapy has finished and you hopefully loose that big chip you carry round on your shoulders then hate may no longer drive you. As always I am willing to help you in your dark hours, I have an address of a Swiss euthanasia clinic that may be of some help.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 04:42:18 AM »
David

I am not asking you for anything, certainly not a bleeding heart, but to remind you that there are two sides to a coin, argument or discussion. You have shown one side, which I believe, is slightly unfair. Yet the problem I suspect is that you do not know what was said to me. Oh yes, nor was it I who started it, nor continued it and as far as what was said to me, well it was about my family with no  :) . It got that bad that this poor guy complained that one or two of my topics were receiving more hit than his, tell me how pathetic does that sound.

May I make a suggestion, perhaps try to get a balanced understand before you chip in next time. ;)

Melvyn
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:57:14 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 05:13:21 AM »

Jim

Many thanks for your understanding and the usual jumping in with your two feet before checking things out.

Why I contacted Tiger and other last year was my business, but as you asked, I wanted to give the top Pros a chance to get involved, as it is my intention to have all The Open Champions names listed on the base plinth of the statue. You may remember that there is no public list of Open winners on display for those walking around The Links at St Andrews. Therefore, as he is a past Champion, I thought it fair and proper to approach him.

This is completely different to what I saw on TV on the opening day of The Open.  Behaviour like that in public and at the greatest and oldest competition in golf is in my view just not acceptable, champion or not.
This is The Open which pre dates any other major competition by decades not years. Tiger was there to win, to make money and enjoy the glory if he won. I was hoping to see some magic but what I got was a selfish rich and gifted man making an ass of himself. It does not give me pleasure to see any sportsman/woman let alone a professional perform like that – plus the safety issued should not be forgotten.

As re The Statue, yes I have no problem if Tiger wants to be part of it, after all his name will appear on the base plaque.

Melvyn   

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 06:36:04 AM »
I also received two emails from tigerwoods.com. I didn't post on the thread about Tiger's behaviour and have no idea how they got my email address.   ::)
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 06:53:10 AM »
Jim,
Log off and then check back on this thread as a guest and tell me if you see our email addresses.  I don't care that you posted it just now but it is not visible to lurkers, only gca members.

Did this change with the forum upgrade ?

Certainly in the past I have had many emails from lurkers , on something I have posted here .

All were most welcome .

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 05:04:46 PM »
MM,
I hope you get at least a couple of past winners to show up for the unveiling, if you ever get the statue in place.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 05:19:39 PM »
Jim

I have the Links Trust agreement and a site, I have the plans and the Sculpture. We are in the process of raising the funds. The Bank of Scotland demise has hurt, but we are getting round that.  The statue will be from the World of Golf to the people of St Andrews.

I have also approached two of your orginsations, just for the record they have indicated their willingness to assist if I formally approach them.  Surprised by your statement 'if you ever get the statue in place'.

Clearly you are not keen, so don't worry I will not be asking you for any help.

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back