News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

A great GCA summer
« on: July 17, 2009, 12:20:08 PM »
    Last month the summer kicked off with a great weekend of golf with John Stiles and John Mayhugh over at Holston Hills and Lookout Mountain. Two fantastic courses and great company as I have been exploring a new region of the US.
    I had a great day a couple of weeks ago playing Oak Hollow with John Moore. It is a Pete Dye course from 1972 near High Point, NC. It has to be in the running, if not the outright winner, for best value in US golf. $16 for a round!!!!! A lot of interesting holes for the money. Conditions were pretty good, pace of play was glacial, but apparently that was an aberration (it was the day after 4th of July weekend). Good luck with the Coast Guard John.
    A big thank you for all the GCA'ers who came out to welcome Ash Towe up from New Zealand. Ash was just so appreciative of having the opportunity to meet you guys. I'm sure he'll be chiming in next week after he gets home and catches his breath. Doug Wright organized a group for dinner and it was great to put some more faces to names and enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded golfers. It was cool that one of the guys at dinner, Jim, received an email from Ran welcoming him as a member to GCA while we were sitting there eating. The folllowing day Adam Clayman and Daryn Soldan joined us for a fun 27 hole day at Wild Horse. That area has been hammered with rain the past month (they have already exceeded their annual rainfall!!!), so unfortunately the course didn't exhibit it's usual firm and fast characteristics. Josh, the super, does an absolutely amazing job with the course on what has to been an exceedingly limited budget. Sand Hills was also a bit under its usual standard due to the 20+ inches of rain in the past month, but was still a joy to play and we had the bonus of getting a chance to talk to Dick Youngscap one evening. I learned one REALLY interesting thing. Mike Keiser was one of the original investors in Sand Hills. So Bandon didn't just come as a bolt out of the blue.
    A HUGE thank you for Matt Schulte for inviting Ash and me out to see Ballyneal. Matt was a fantastic host and the staff at Ballyneal has certainly taken a page from the Sand Hills and Bandon playbook and couldn't have been more welcoming and accomodating. I will start a seperate thread about the course, but suffice it to say that Ballyneal belongs in any conversation of great modern courses. It was also a treat to get to meet Tim Pitner who woke up in the wee hours to come up to join us for a day of golf.
    Thank you one and all for a great summer and adding to Ash's trip.  

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:14:58 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Eric Smith

Re: A great GCA summer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »
Heyo Ed.  What am I , chopped liver? I know I didn't win many holes for us at Lookout, but...   :( ;) ;D

Reading your post and knowing where John was last week and heading this very moment makes me chuckle thinking of the many different roads travelled throughout golfdom since that day. 

I hope to see you in your neck of the woods before it gets too cold.

Eric

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 02:24:09 PM »
Does anyone EVER do a recap like this in which John Mayhugh's name fails to appear?

I'd say the man is everywhere but that would be trite.

;D

Great times, Ed - very cool.  You remain a lucky man; and Ash is lucky to have you as a friend and comrade.

TH

ps - check IM - one question I had for you....

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »
Heyo Ed.  What am I , chopped liver? I know I didn't win many holes for us at Lookout, but...   :( ;) ;D

I invited Ed to an outing at Raleigh CC in May, and I didn't get a mention.  I guess that was still technically Spring.....   ;)

Eric

If you're coming this way, Ed is in my neck of the woods....please give me a shout, too.  I have place we can play.

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 04:39:01 PM »
Ed - looks like you've had a marvelous summer.

Tom - I once played a round of golf without Mayhugh.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »

I'm not sure I ever have.  I also haven't actually played with him.  His presence is just so constant, one really is never sure one way or the other.

tlavin

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:43:19 PM »
Ash Towe came to Chicago and played with me, Shelly Solow and Mark Smolens at Olympia Fields.  Jeff Goldman met us for dinner at the club.  Ash is a great guy and he loved the day at OFCC.  The next day, we played at Beverly with a University of Chicago economist and Mayor Daley's nephew.  Fun was had by all.  It was another expression of what a great place this website is.  I never would have had the opportunity to meet somebody like Ash without this site.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 04:51:05 PM »
I'm not sure I ever have.  I also haven't actually played with him. 

That's Delta's fault, not mine.  I tried!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 04:55:09 PM »
I'm not sure I ever have.  I also haven't actually played with him. 

That's Delta's fault, not mine.  I tried!

Understood, completely.  It was nice for sure to match the physical being with the ethereal presence so often felt, in any case.

;D

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »

Great summer Ed!!  Lots of fun.

I once played a round with Mayhugh.  He managed to slide me in after playing Lawsonia with Swanson and Greywalls with DeVries and before a couple rounds at Kingsley with some more GCAers.

Hopefully, I'll get to Knoxville before the snowfalls to have some bbq and golf with Gray and Smith and Mayhugh will find some time in between Pine Valley and Shinney to squeeze in a round with us. ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

David Stamm

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 05:07:39 PM »
Does anyone EVER do a recap like this in which John Mayhugh's name fails to appear?

I'd say the man is everywhere but that would be trite.

;D

Okay, I'll say it. The man is everywhere! ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 05:23:09 PM »

Pajaro Valley & Santa Anita in the same year. San Clemente here I come......

David Stamm

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 05:40:08 PM »

Pajaro Valley & Santa Anita in the same year. San Clemente here I come......

Let me know when and I'm there... :)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »
It was great to meet Ash and finally Ed.

Ash has the greatest finnish to a swing I have ever seen. He played beautifully at Wild Horse.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

ed_getka

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 07:16:51 PM »
Heyo Ed.  What am I , chopped liver? I know I didn't win many holes for us at Lookout, but...   :( ;) ;D

Reading your post and knowing where John was last week and heading this very moment makes me chuckle thinking of the many different roads travelled throughout golfdom since that day.  

Eric

Eric,
I tried to avoid naming names as I knew I would inevitably be forgetting someone with my pathetic lack of memory. :P I look forward to our next round together. We have to get you and John Mayhugh out to Tobacco Road this fall.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:25:14 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 07:17:28 PM »
Ed, Ash and Tim:

It was a real pleasure to share your company this past weekend.  I wholeheartedly agree that this website has afforded me many opportunities to cross paths with people I would have otherwise never met.  

Ash I will continue to work on the lesson you shared with me!

Matt

ed_getka

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »

I invited Ed to an outing at Raleigh CC in May, and I didn't get a mention.  I guess that was still technically Spring.....   ;)

Scott,
   My bad. :-[ That was a fun day at Raleigh CC. I still haven't sorted that course out in my head. Especially after playing Holston Hills and seeing what Ross did with that property.

Daryn_Soldan

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »
Ed,

It was a pleasure to join you, Ash and Adam at Wildhorse. Glad to hear the rest of your trip through Nebraska and Colorado went well. Hope that the weather for your arrival to Sandhills on Thursday night was as good as it turned out at Bayside. Got in a quick 18 right before dark and the clouds cleared out nicely leading to a beautiful sunset.

Also, I'll second Adam's comments on Ash's swing/finish. I'll guarantee that my game was improved by observing his balance and tempo.

ed_getka

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 10:07:21 PM »

Also, I'll second Adam's comments on Ash's swing/finish. I'll guarantee that my game was improved by observing his balance and tempo.

Thank goodness Ash can't read these messages since he is en route to New Zealand. I don't think his head could fit through the door. ;) I look forward to hearing Ash's impressions now that he has had some time to ruminate over the courses, landscape and weather he encountered on his trip. We had a nice taste of high plains weather Sunday evening.

Sean Leary

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 01:20:12 AM »

I'm not sure I ever have.  I also haven't actually played with him.  His presence is just so constant, one really is never sure one way or the other.

OK. I will say it because no one else will.

Mayhugh is now officially America's Guest. The crown has been passed on...

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 06:23:01 AM »
Ed

Sounds like you had fun - I look forward to the commentary...

I hope you are up for a "great" GCA autumn ?  :)

ed_getka

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 06:45:08 AM »
Kevin,
   I look forward to seeing you when you travel up from Australia this year. There are courses by a wide variety of architects in the northeast so you should be able to get quite an education on your trip.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 07:02:38 AM »
Ed,

I enjoyed our brief visit in Denver (thanks to Doug for setting up the dinner). It was nice of you and Ash to stop down for that and proof that 2 hours among like minded GCAers is never quite enough time.

Wyatt

ed_getka

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »
Wyatt,
     Have a great time at Sand Hills, I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back