News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Dear GCA,

In tribute to 6 times Open Champion - Harry Vardon I have scanned chapter II - Golf Course Architecture from his book How to Play Golf. I know his great great grandson who is a member of my local golf society who plays off 20!.

There are interesting points on GCA and I would welcome your comments/opinions

Can't wait for the oldest and best golf tournament to start tomorrow on a 'proper' golf course the way it should be played  ;D

Cheers

Ben

Chuck Brown

Re: Harry Vardon's opinion on Golf Course Architecture - 1910-1920
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:39:49 AM »
The mention of Royal Mid-Surrey is of interest to me, since it is such a parkland layout that Vardon mentions as though it were a links.  I played Royal Mid-Surrey many years ago, and have not been back in decades.  My favorite part was the little bar in the clubhouse.  But it was a fabulous location in metropolitan London.

Michael Blake

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:01:51 AM »

Interesting last paragraph regarding his desire to 'check the craze for the running shot' which had been encouraged by the absence of cross-bunkers.

Also his feelings to bring back the 'lofted approach with an iron' ...the disappearance of that shot has 'done so much to lower the standard of play.'

Peter Pallotta

Re: Harry Vardon's opinion on Golf Course Architecture - 1910-1920 New
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:56:12 AM »
Thank you, Ben.

Such a big subject this is - e.g. what we think of Vardon's ideas now as oppossed to what people thought of them back then; who he was writing for, and who was against him etc. I'm not equipped to handle the subject, but if you don't mind some random thoughts:

First, I tried to keep in mind that Vardon obviously knew very well how to play the British links courses, and what they demanded of a player, and that he was describing was what he thought necessary in order 're-create' that same experience given the new technology

Second, I was struck by the rationale he offers for the kind of course he is describing, one that I don't think I've ever read before, i.e. that the architecture of a course plays a big role in how a golfer develops over time, in how and whether/not his skills are made to improve because of what the course asks of him, and that the kind of course he's advocating would be ideal in helping golfers get better. I thought that was neat.

Third, I was surprised at how nuanced and well-articulated his arguments were. I think as Bob C often points out in these kinds of threads, my notions about the black-and-white nature of the debates back then (let's call them between penal and strategic architecture) are flat out wrong -- the only thing that's black and white is my modern day thinking about the debates back then. I was also a bit surprised how early the idea of architecture as architecture was being discussed, especially coming from a 'working-man' like Vardon. (I'm not saying I should've been surprised, just that I was).

Finally, just a wonderful line, when he's writing about a long Par 5.  "I would put the first cross-bunker about 360 yards from the tee. If he could drve into that, he would be a martyr to his own greatness and the dryness of the ground".

Yup, just call me "Peter P - A Martyr to his Greatness"

Thanks again
Peter P - A M T H G
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:42:35 PM by Peter Pallotta »

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
Cross bunkers?

Art Hills must have read this chapter!! ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:45:26 PM »
Ben
Thanks for posting the chapter. Do you know when it was first published, I think it was 1912?

Its well documented there was a revolt against the old Victorian courses with their ramparts crossing the fairways at regular intervals. They pretty much eliminated them all, and some thought it was an overreaction. HG Hutchinson and B. Darwin were among those who said they had gone too far at the expense of balance and variety. Vardon seems to agree with that thinking.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back