News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Broken Top (Jay Moorish) Bend, Oregon
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:20:25 AM »
A friend told me the setting is pretty, how are the golf holes ?   Is the architecture of the same quality of courses such as  Tokatee, Eugene, and Tetherow, or is Broken Top even better ?

Thanks     

Craig Van Egmond

Re: Broken Top (Jay Moorish) Bend, Oregon
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »

Mark,

It wasn't very long ago that Broken Top was the cream of the crop in Bend and well worth playing.

I don't know were it stands now after all the new courses by Nicklaus, Fazio, Kidd, etc.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:52:09 AM »
Gentle rolling topography, amoeba bunkers....

Fun holes, some risk/reward...

Doak 5
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

tlavin

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »
I played it a number of years ago.  It's on an interesting site and there are a lot of good golf holes.  It's definitely worth your time.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:57:03 AM »
Gotta be better than Tokatee! What possessed you to put that in there with Tetherow and Eugene?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:30:22 PM by Bayley R. Garland »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:04:49 PM »
I wouldn't play it instead of a day at Tetherow or either Pronghorn course

I'd probably opt for Crosswater over BT

From what my sources say, Brasada is probably better too.

It's neck and neck with Juniper....perhaps losing in a photo finish

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 04:07:34 PM »
Weiskopf/Morrish. One of their better efforts.
Way above Brasada Ranch. Slightly higher than Juniper. Might be ranked somewhere between 8-12 in Oregon.
The last time I played a decade? ago they only allowed two outside tee times a day, so they value their privacy. I think the layout was compromised by the development's land use plan but is still a good layout.  Great character on the greens, probably would minimally rank them 8 of 10. Very walkable, least good is the walk from 18 green. Good short par 4 on each side (9,11).  I think the par 5s are all reachable but need a very precise shot. Doglegs both ways reward being able to work the ball. Fairly good recoverability except at 8,9. Rewards thinking and strategry.

Worth the price of admission. Go ahead and try to get on.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:10:36 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 05:35:50 PM »
You played it a decade ago, Peter?

A lot can happen in 10 yrs.....including memory loss ;)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 06:30:07 PM »
Michael,
I have played at Broken Top about five times and circumnavigated it multiple times as a rules official. I clearly remember all the holes, but alas no longer shot by shot sequences. I played Brasada Ranch once, a year ago. I could probably describe three or four holes. Broken Top is memorable, Brasada Ranch is not, at least for me. Brasada Ranch recently hosted the 54 hole Oregon Open. Brian Nosler won, shooting 67-65-66=198.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:59:45 PM »
Just returned from a spur of the moment 3 day trip to Bend which was terrific.  I heard that Broken Top was pretty good, but with a shortage of time elected to play the highly touted courses in the area and was not disappointed.  We stayed at Sunriver for one night and were able to play 36 holes at Crosswater for a very reasonable rate.  Then we played the Nicklaus course at Pronghorn and toured the Fazio ( both very good with knockout quarry holes)..  we couldn't play the Fazio course without a member unless we were willing to fork over about $500 , so we passed on playing that one. We finished up with 36 at Tetherow,  which we just loved.   You can't go wrong with that bunch.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:42:51 AM »
I was pretty disappointed by Broken Top.  It was probably pretty cool when it was new, because none of the other courses up to that point had utilized the mountain views very well.  But now it's closed in by houses in a lot of places, and the only really memorable hole (a short par-4 with a quarry) is pretty awkward.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »
I played it in 2005 and concur with Mr. Doak.  Crosswater and Pronghorn-Nicklaus (Fazio was being built at the time) were its superior by far.  The course was very uncrowded on a very nice day.  I am normally a big fan of W & M, but this one did not hit the spot. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back