News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Justin Broderson

Re: How do you play the game?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 05:49:04 PM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding? walking
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance?yes
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?always, unless it is going to damage my club or cause bodily harm, just not worth it
4) At one point is a putt "good?"in the leather
5) Do you keep a handicap?yes
6) Do you generally wager?yes
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?lighting
 Do you take lessons?in the winter
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?always
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt?sometimes

Chris Cupit

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 06:13:45 PM »
GCA brethren,

In light of some recent discussions on how one plays the game, I thought it would be interesting to conduct a brief survey of GCA member's playing preferences.  

1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  Walk with caddie or ride-I'm done toting although I will use a push cart.
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance?  No
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?  Yes.  Sorry about being dogmtic on this one but if your rolling it, you're not playing golf
4) At one point is a putt "good?"  When it has been conceded :)
5) Do you keep a handicap?  Yes
6) Do you generally wager?  Yes
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?  Unless it's a tournament, if it is below 65 or above 85 I'm out :o
8) Do you take lessons? Yes although not nearly enough.
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?  Before a tournament round yes, otherwise maybe.
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt?  Nope.

mike_beene

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 06:16:31 PM »
1-walk 2-no 3-yes 4-no 5-yes 6-yes 7-lightning,colder than 50F and hotter than 100F 8-yes 9-yes 10-yes

Ben Sims

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 06:16:39 PM »
GCA brethren,

In light of some recent discussions on how one plays the game, I thought it would be interesting to conduct a brief survey of GCA member's playing preferences.  

1) Do you prefer walking or riding?
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance?
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?
4) At one point is a putt "good?"
5) Do you keep a handicap?
6) Do you generally wager?
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?
8) Do you take lessons?
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt?

1) I only ride when I play in Scotland
2) No, never have either
3) Usually.  Unless my ball has come to rest in water.  Then I always play it as it lies.
4) When it goes in the hole.  Duh!
5) If anyone asks in reference to a bet, I'm a 25.
6) Yes.  Wyatt Halliday is convinced that I'll be sporting an LSU sticker on my truck after our trip to Kingsley.
7) I particularly enjoyed sleet on the 14th tee at PD.
8) Putting lessons only.  And it shows.
9) If there is one available, no.
10) Solid white showing.  Or crooked Titleist logo.  Or sideways line.  Too lazy to mark and adjust.

Stu Grant

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 06:51:33 PM »
Insert Quote
Quote from: JWinick on Today at 03:09:31 AM
GCA brethren,

1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  Either one - depends on the course, playing partners, whether I'm having a beer while I play, etc.
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?  Yes
4) At one point is a putt "good?"  Whenever I can get it since I'm a crappy putter.
6) Do you generally wager?  Yes, Small dollars or a beer after the round
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?  Not comfortable with lightning.  Pretty much anything else is fine including snow.
 Do you take lessons?  No but I probably should.
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?  Don't usually have time to.
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt?  No.

Mark Manuel

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 06:58:05 PM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  Walking
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance?  No, I am not that good, around a yardage is good enough.
4) At one point is a putt "good?"  Yes
6) Do you generally wager?  Yes, wolf.
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?  Lightening, heavy rain.
8) Do you take lessons?  Informal.
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?  Yes.

The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding? Walking - will ride when playing late in the day
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance?  Sprinkler heads and my eyeballs.
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?  Yes.
4) At one point is a putt "good?" Typically a foot.  If it's my wife, up to four feet.
5) Do you keep a handicap? No.
6) Do you generally wager?  Yes.
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?  Course closed.
8) Do you take lessons?  I get advice from fellow pros from time to time.
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?  Typically not.
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt?  Absolutely not - can't stand it.

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 07:02:47 PM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding? walking
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? never
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? always
4) At one point is a putt "good?" only if I'm worried I'm slowing someone else down - otherwise I putt everything out
5) Do you keep a handicap? not currently
6) Do you generally wager? nope
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? sub 40ish or heavy rain
8) Do you take lessons? once in awhile
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? only at gca outings :)
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? not anymore

And of course, the obligatory answer to How do you play? Badly.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2009, 07:07:58 PM »
Walking, but I will ride when a course requires it, or walking will hurt my enjoyment of the game (too hot, I'm too out of shape for the course, I'm playing 36 holes and I'm too out of shape, etc.)
Neither.  I'm not so good that precise yardage matters that much, but I will try to figure out approximately how far I am from my target/any hazards.  I may purchase a range finder some day, and do not consider them inappropriate.  I cannot judge distance visually very well due to my near-sightedness.
Yes, unless I'm playing a round where my handicap doesn't count or I'm already scoring so poorly that cheating doesn't matter anymore.  Exception: last year I played in a 9-hole league where the rule was you could improve your lie anywhere except in a hazard. Stupid rule, but not following it would have hurt my team.
Whenever my competitors say so.  If I'm playing alone, within a foot or so.
Yes.
If my playing companions are willing -- small stakes only.
Too cold for my back which will stiffen up to much (say below 45). Too hot/humid; I've played in 99 degrees+ but never enjoyed it.  Rain's ok but will sometimes discourage me.
8) Do you take lessons?
Yes, 1-2 per year from the same teacher for the past 8 years or so.  Great guy who has helped my swing tremendously.
Yes, but usually not a whole bucket. 6-12 swings is enough to loosen me up.
Not since I learned better from Shivas on GCA. :)`

Scott Henderson

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 07:33:13 PM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  I prefer walking, in most cases.
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?  Yes, unless "lift, clean and place" is stipulated.
4) At one point is a putt "good?"  When someone else in the group says so, but I usually like to putt out.
6) Do you generally wager?  No
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?  Lightning.  Pretty much anything else is fine, although I have never played in snow.
8) Do you take lessons?  Occasionally, but I probably should do it more often.
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?  Don't usually have time to.

I do have to admit that I agree with George Pazin: How do I play? Badly.

Ken Moum

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 10:10:52 PM »
GCA brethren,

1) Do you prefer walking or riding? I rarely ride...
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? I have a laser, but try not to use it much.
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? Pretty much. If a tournament declares L,C & P, I usually take advantage.
4) At one point is a putt "good?" I'm reasonably friendly in match play, otherwise, putt 'em out
5) Do you keep a handicap? Yes.
6) Do you generally wager? Not much any more. Used to have something on every round.
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? Rain, Wind, 50* temps..... I need two of the three in my favor.
8) Do you take lessons? Can't find anyone whose swing theories make sense to me.
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? Mostly, if I can.
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? Hell NO!!! I agree with Shivas.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:14:58 PM by kmoum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Kari Haug

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 10:22:18 PM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  Generally walk, ride in rain/wind, walk when cold
4) At one point is a putt "good?"  I usually like to putt out, sometimes will pick up less than 6 inches.
6) Do you generally wager?  No
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?  Lightning.  Or the 10th outing in a row that it has rained (this has happened in Scotland)  I have played in the snow, my record is January 5th in Minnesota
 Do you take lessons?  Just started taking them after 35 years self-taught
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?  No, but I stretch a lot

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 11:31:37 PM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  No preference
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? No
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? No
4) At one point is a putt "good?" Whenever you are tired of hitting it
5) Do you keep a handicap? no
6) Do you generally wager? No
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? Below 50 degrees
8) Do you take lessons? No
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? No
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? Never, matter of fact I work to have no line

Ron Csigo

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 12:01:29 AM »

1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  Walking
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? No
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? Not always
4) At one point is a putt "good?" Shortly after it hits the bottom of the cup.
5) Do you keep a handicap? Yes
6) Do you generally wager? No
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? Below 45 degrees with wind
8)Do you take lessons? No
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? Only of there's time.
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? Only if there's one already on the ball.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 01:09:05 AM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  Walking - will rarely choose to ride
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance?  No, but if someone in the group has one I may ask
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?  LCP in competition, occasionally here in the PNW winter when it is truly soggy
4) At one point is a putt "good?"  About 16 inches if I am keeping a score, more generous in matches
5) Do you keep a handicap?  yes
6) Do you generally wager?  yes, often just a beer
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?  I am hard as nails on a trip, less intrepid at home during the cold wet winter
 Do you take lessons?  No - too far gone down my own path
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?  Almost always - just 25 or so balls
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt?  No, I do use the logo
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:41:57 AM by Will MacEwen »

astavrides

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:55 AM »
This entire thread is fundamentally flawed because it is based on a false premise - that there are multiple ways to play the Game.

There is only one way to play the Game of Golf.

What this question really asks is:  to which non-Game or alternative to the Game have you migrated?

Remind me who is was who made fun of Matt Ward for 'always being right'?  I think I liked you better when your avatar was Freddie Prinze, Jr.

John Foley

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 09:25:18 AM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding? Depends upon who & where. I will walk with those who walk & ride with those who wish to ride
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? Yardage Book, sprinkler heads or if the cart has GPS - nothing hand held
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? Yes
4) At one point is a putt "good?" When my competitor says it is.
5) Do you keep a handicap? Informal not thru a CC or the USGA
6) Do you generally wager? Only with friends
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? Snow
 Do you take lessons? I have in the past.
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? If time allows
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? No

Integrity in the moment of choice

astavrides

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 09:30:29 AM »
Well, frankly, I liked me better when I hadn't yet discovered what an avatar even is....

Alex, don't shoot the messenger.  It's the USGA's rules, not mine.  I'm terribly sorry if everybody has a problem with there only being one way to play golf, but that never was - and is not - my decision. 

I definitely don't want to get into a rules or decisions on the rules, etc. discussion.  But at least 5 of the 10 questions have nothing to do with the USGA rules of golf.  Is there only one way to answer those questions as well?

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 10:00:54 AM »
GCA brethren,

1) Do you prefer walking or riding? Walking.  I will only ride when required to i.e. my playing partners are all in carts
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance?  I have experimented with them on occasions (but never inhaled ;)). I will use a yardage book/sprinkler head when available
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? Yes- unless the Rules of Golf permit otherwise
4) At one point is a putt "good?" Yes, when it's conceded by my opponent in match play
6) Do you generally wager? Yes but only only for small stakes (generally less than £10)
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? Torrential rain, lightning, snow
8) Do you take lessons? Yes, on average one or two a year
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? I will hit a dozen or so balls in a practice net to loosen my swing
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? No

2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Matt Bosela

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 11:07:27 AM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding? - Prefer to walk and strongly feel it helps my game
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? - No, but I'll utilize yardage markers
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? - Always, even under spring conditions
4) At one point is a putt "good?" - When it's in the hole or when my playing partners/competitors say it's good
5) Do you keep a handicap? - Yes
6) Do you generally wager? - Yes - usually a $10 skins game, a $2 Hollywood and I usually have a $5 match going every round with a couple of guys (straight up, no handicap)
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? - I was playing a round a week ago at Tarandowah and there was lightning in the distance.  That didn't faze me but the funnel cloud forming behind us got me running off the course faster than you could imagine.  I'll play in almost anything since I don't get the chance to play as much as I like.
8 ) Do you take lessons? - Nothing formal but if the game is suffering, sometimes I'll have one of our pros take a look at my swing to see if anything is wrong.
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? - I'm allergic to the range - I only have so many good shots in me and I don't want to waste them on the range ;) 
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? - I'll usually use the logo but not for alignment purposes - more to see if I'm rolling the putt properly after the strike and not putting sidespin on it

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 11:30:05 AM »
Dave, he didn't ask how do you play Golf, he asked how do you play the game?  

So I find this interesting.  Note my answers pertain to what he asked.. that is, how do I play the game.  Such will be different if the question is how do I play Golf, as defined by Dave Schmidt (and in which case, all answers should be damn well the same for everyone).

I prefer to walk, but given a mountainous course or one otherwise with huge green to tee distances, hell yes I'll ride.  Also prefer to ride when carrying beer is part of the deal, which is often.

Not me, but I am happy to accept the readings of others.

Are you freakin' kidding?  No way.  There are times to do so (most times) and times to lighten up.

When it's inside the Circle of Friendship.

5) Do you keep a handicap? - Yes

6) Do you generally wager? - No.

Damn near none.

8 ) Do you take lessons?
Not in 30 years.

Yes.

No - tried it, didn't help.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:33:10 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 11:36:04 AM »
GCA brethren,

1) Do you prefer walking or riding? Prefer to walk
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? Yes
4) At one point is a putt "good?" Holed or conceded
6) Do you generally wager? Sometimes
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?  Will play just about anytime
8) Do you take lessons?  No
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?  Yes, but not necessary.
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt?  No

Jason Topp

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2009, 11:49:01 AM »

Walk

yes

yes -

When the opponent says it is.  I generally try and use the same standard as my opponent.

yes

yes - small amounts

Not many - lightning

8) Do you take lessons?

yes

yes

no - I have tried it but it hurts more than helps

JC Jones

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »
I definitely don't want to get into a rules or decisions on the rules, etc. discussion.  But at least 5 of the 10 questions have nothing to do with the USGA rules of golf.  Is there only one way to answer those questions as well?

Of course not. 

So the entire thread isn't fundamentally flawed?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »
Shivas Schmidt:

Tenaciously consistent, consistently tenacious.

The lover of lost causes and cold cases, especially if frozen solid.

Any sport with a rule book the size of a toaster oven demands such a man.

Most fall by the way-side. Not Shivas:

He'd rather suck at playing the ONE game than excel at playing HIS game.  (THIS I understand.)

Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back