News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Wigler

West Texas / Southern New Mexico
« on: February 20, 2002, 06:01:04 AM »
I have a business trip coming up that is taking me to Las Cruces, New Mexico.  Las Cruces is about 30 miles north of El Paso, Texas.  Is there any good golf in the area?  Public or private is fine.  Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Jeff_Brauer

Re: West Texas / Southern New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2002, 06:27:05 AM »
George Williams should try to chime in here.  I would direct you to the famous "Tumbleweed Hills" course George and I have discussed here to break up all the discussions about Philadelphia courses we haven't seen.  However, its fictional, and we made it up!  Great course in my mind though, even if George bested me last time we played. ;)

I am only familiar with a few courses in southern NM, including my Links of Sierra Blanca in Ruidoso, but that's still ski season up there.

In El Paso, there is Painted Dunes by Ken Dye, with a new nine by me. And Ken's Pinion Hills is too far NW to qualify.  George?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2002, 07:54:38 AM »
David,

In Las Cruces there's the NMSU course, about which I've heard decent reviews, though I don't think it's in the caliber of the UNM South course in ABQ; also, a new course by Cal Olson (?) called Sonoma Ranch is in Las Cruces. I've not played either but those are my thoughts for what they're worth. Both are public.

All The Best,

Doug
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2002, 08:07:47 AM »
Have to second the mentioning of Painted Dunes Desert GC in El Paso. Well done golf course that gives you plenty to think about on each and every shot. When the wind is up you'd better think of keeping the ball down! One of the best values to play / well done by Ken Dye.

I also had the pleasure in playing The Links at Sierra Blanca and enjoyed it. Don't know if the increased elevation will impact playing conditions?

Jeff B:

Do you have any specific info regarding the new nine at Painted -- max distance from the tips / hole-by-hole run down in yardage? Thanks.

Mike Nuzzo

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

David Wigler

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2002, 11:35:30 AM »
Thanks for the help.  GCA must be the greatest golf resourse in the world.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

George_Williams

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2002, 06:50:15 AM »
Jeff-

Funny, I just drove back from SE NM last night- got in @ 1:30 AM.  Actually was hit by a tumbleweed blowing across the road(the tumbleweed was, not me!). We have done work near there at Desert Lakes in Alamogordo, Artesia CC, Roswell & Lovington, but I probably would suggest Painted Dunes in El Paso.  Like someone said, Sonoma Ranch is a new course in Las Cruces but was done by Cal Olson- Landscape Architect?

George

Red_Raider

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2002, 10:19:22 PM »
You should postpone your trip until next year and then you play the much awaited, highly anticipated Jerry S. Rawls Red Raider Golf Course under construction in Lubbock.  I hope for Mr. Doak's sake that some qoutes in a recent Texas Tech publication were merely the stupidity of an unknowledgeable writer plagerizing blurbs from other courses by Tom Doak.  "Doak planned for a minimal amount of change so that the course flows in its natural surroundings.  As with all of his designs, Texas Tech's golf course will appear to be a part of the naturally occuring landscape of the South Plains."  One of these people has never even been to Lubbock, Texas and more precisely this site!  It is absolute FLAT cotton fields with not a single tree on it!  The rendering in the article (and what a beautiful rendering it was!) ;) ...shows three contour lines on the entire golf course site!  I am guessing that is generous!  "...will be undivided and free of man-made structures that take away from the natural landscape...Perhaps the most unique feature of the 18-hole, 7100 yard layout is the 10 to 12-foot-high berm running along the entire parameter of the course.  Plans also include taking the playing surface down some 20 feet below grade..."  Ah yes, I can picture it now...the flat wind blown cotton fields NATURALLY FLOWING into the 10 to 12 foot berms and the 20 foot hole full of golfers.

This course will be in its own little world.  By throwing 12 to 14 million dollars at it will certainly help it to be a very fine golf course.  And well it should be for that kind of money.  The Red Raider club is always trying to raise funds...they should take at LEAST 5 million out of that golf course cost and still build a state of the art, extremely nice golf course.  In the end it will only be as nice as it is maintained.  What kind of money will it take to maintain a 12 to 14 million dollar course in the middle of West Texas?!

The publication ended with some "Golf Course Facts"..."designed by renowned LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT Tom Doak"...I am sure Mr. Doak will appreciate that billing!  Hey Tech, you should realize you hired a professional GOLF COURSE ARCHITECT for this project!

I understand that Mr. Rawls donated about 8.5 million to the project, but the name is a terrible one for a golf course (Jerry S. Rawls Red Raider Golf Course).  I have a hunch that Mr. Rawls would not mind if his name was not used in naming the golf course since the Business school already dawns his name after that awesome 25 million dollar donation.  He appears to be an extremely generous man, not one trying to paint his name for all to see.  This of course is an issue for the University.  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2002, 08:21:55 AM »
'...10-12ft berm all around, 20ft scooped down into existing grade...',  sounds like the same techniques as Shadow Creek.  I'm not criticizing that, since I can't think of any other way to sculpt interesting golf terrain in a flat canvas.  But it sure is an interesting next step for Doak, with the Barnbougle ace up his sleeve.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Wigler

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2002, 10:51:08 AM »
RJ,

I had the same thought v. Shadow Creek.  I cannot wait until it opens and someone on GCA can give us a review.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Robert

Dave_Wilber

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2002, 12:09:26 PM »
I can attest to the "berm" at Texas Tech being nothing at all like Shadow Creek.
---------
Dave Wilber
Wilber Consulting--Coaching, Writing Broadcasting, Agronomy
davewilber@yahoo.com
twitter: @turfgrasszealot
instagram @turfgrasszeal
"No one goes to play the great courses we talk about here because they do a nice bowl of soup. Soup helps, but you can’t putt in it." --Wilber

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back