News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Re: Pacific Dunes vs. Old Macdonald
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »
Whatever, Rob, you are plenty high and mighty yourself considering you have a website dedicated to reviewing and ranking golf courses.

In the words of Big Lebowski, "that like just yer opinion, man"

I simply stated that sometimes folks go a little over the top in their praise of a course for the very reason that it's brand new.

Pacific Dunes is the 2nd most highly respected course built in the last 50 or so years, in the opinion of many many many golfers, publications and experts, not just myself.

To boast that Old Mac, a course that isn't even finished, is better, seems a might bit premature don't ya think???

Because if it is "better" than that means it is going to be in the class of Pine Valley, etc.....that's not being a smart ass, that's the reality of the situation. 

I don't think saying as much is being high and mighty, I think it's being sensible.  For the first couple of years I suspect more people will want to play Old Mac than Pacicifc, because it's the new dopenss.

But to surmise which they'll prefer after that.......well, I still think it's a subject nobody can intelligibly discuss right now.

But go suck down some more Kool aid if you want....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:01:43 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2009, 01:07:11 AM »
Its funny, I have not seen OM as yet. However when Pac Dunes had 11 holes done I met Tom and played them with he, Jim Urbina and a ggod friend John Strawn. I told Tom that night over dinner it would blow away BD and frankly should set his career on fire to the top of his profession. Not that I am an expert or should have made such comments on a mere 11 holes.Much less made such bold statements about the profession. But I honestly felt it.  And they were so good and what was planned gave one the feeling only someone might have felt at Sand Hills during a moment in time like that. I do agree it is way premature to get this debate going. I just hope the final product merits this discussion for that means the team did an incredible job.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2009, 03:30:59 AM »

Pacific Dunes is the 2nd most highly respected course built in the last 50 or so years, in the opinion of many many many golfers, publications and experts, not just myself.

To boast that Old Mac, a course that isn't even finished, is better, seems a might bit premature don't ya think???

Because if it is "better" than that means it is going to be in the class of Pine Valley, etc.....that's not being a smart ass, that's the reality of the situation. 

People who have played both courses have some basis to compare them.  Even if OM is not complete.  They have played most of the course, and seen/walked most/all the rest. 

As for it being new, well, other Doak courses have been new.  They have not generated this kind of excitement, have they?  Seems clear to me that whatever is going on at OM, it's pretty special. 

"Better" may not mean as good as Pine Valley.  The rankings could go along these lines:

1.  PV
5.  OM
9.  PD

Or maybe OM will turn out "better" than PV.  Either in the opinion of some on GCA or the experts at the golf magazines.  They may find it more fun, more interesting, more options, more ground game, more strategy, less penal, more recovery shots.  As Ben Crenshaw said, it's all subjective anyway. 

I know it won't surprise me at all if Doak & Team Out-Mac Mac himself.  The marriage of great template holes. minimalism, a fantastic site and this architect make anything possible here.     

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back